[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the Everyman's Library edition of Ulysses good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6
Is the Everyman's Library edition of Ulysses good?
>>
Yes. Good quality production. Good paper/type.
>>
you can safely go with everyman on 99% of books, if not 100%. solid publisher.
>>
>>7561951
good in terms of physical quality, layout, font, no errors, etc.

But a lot of people want notes with something like ulysses, i don't think everyman has notes
>>
>>7561990
the notes for ulysses would be longer than the book itself. see, for example, the gilbert annotated ulysses.

if you want ulysses notes/companion you're better off buying a separate book altogether unless you wanta 1500 page tome.
>>
>>7561951

Similar question but what's the consensus on The Millennium edition of Everyman's Library?
>>
all of their books are really good albeit sometimes a little expensive
>>
File: 20160109_104659-1.jpg (3 MB, 2779x1799) Image search: [Google]
20160109_104659-1.jpg
3 MB, 2779x1799
>>7562018
They're only about £10 where I live. Far cheaper than other hardback publishers, and often far better quality.

Pic semi-related -- just arrived
>>
>>7562028

>Found that edition of The Cossacks and Childhood, Boyhood & Youth at my local Oxfam for £5

That was a good day. Maude translations too.
>>
>>7562033
I'll probably go with Everyman for all the Tolstoy I read. For aesthetic reasons, and as the Maudes are great and Everyman is noice. How'd you find The Cossacks?
>>
>>7562040

The atmosphere was one of my things about the novel, something about the Cossack way of life and how they interact with nature just seems comfy and Maryinka has to be one of the hottest girls in all of fiction. I have Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky for War & Peace along with Anna Karenina but I'll take your advice and get Maude for the rest.
>>
File: 511d1j-A3UL._SL1500_.jpg (53 KB, 305x500) Image search: [Google]
511d1j-A3UL._SL1500_.jpg
53 KB, 305x500
>>7562079
Everyman do all of his shorter fiction in two volumes. Maude Translation. Even if you don't read it all it's still a great thing to dip in and out of.
>>
I love Everyman's Library. The only drawback to their Ulysses is that, since they did their own typesetting, the lines don't correspond to the Gifford book of annotations.

By the way, it's not impossible to get a Ulysses with notes. The Oxford World's Classics edition has notes, and so does the Penguin UK Modern Classics edition.
>>
>>7561953
I just picked up the Idiot and the paper is really thin...
>>
I think you people are really looking for stuff to talk about with these threads about editions.

In 99% of cases, the difference is completely negligible, especially when its not even a work in translation.

Are you guys like the idiots I went to school with, who used thick books as accessories and never had anything interesting to say?
>>
>>7562935
Everyman have thicker/better paper than OWC, Modern Library, and Penguin. Maybe you just got an odd one.

>>7562949
Great contribution lad ;)
>>
>>7562958
Hmm - in truth, I was comparing it to a copy of Evola's revolt that I just got shipped too. It's paper is extremely firm.

Still debating whether or not I should read the idiot or the brothers K first.

Any suggestions?
>>
Everyman's are always good. Why would you worry about a book originally in English anyway
>>
>>7562079
This makes me really want to pick up the Cossacks too

>His naïve hero, Olenin, is a young nobleman who is disenchanted with his privileged and superficial existence in Moscow and hopes to find a simpler life in a Cossack village

This is literally my life's desire - having money really isn't as good as most people would like to think
>>
>>7562958
Unless you're a collector why would the edition matter? And if you're a collector, you wouldn't be collecting the everyman's library.

Just buy whatever's cheapest at your used book store OP. Even with Ulysses, where there may be errata and other inconsistencies between editions, it doesn't matter. The mistakes are insignificant, and really only of note to a Joyce scholar.
>>
>>7562978
Perhaps you are right...

Perhaps you're a dolt.

Either way you're arguing that your personal opinion is more valid. Don't you have some offs to fuck?
>>
>>7562965
The Idiot first
>>
>>7562978
They're enjoyable to read and are comfy -- some editions of works have better secondary material. Hardcovers can be preferable as you don't need to hold pages down.
>>
>>7562985
I'm genuinely curious what specifically could make one edition better than the other.

But also, I don't see anything wrong with asking people to raise the level of discourse on a literature board.
>>
>>7562992
Like I said, negligible differences, and if I had any of these preferences, why would I need to ask someones advice about them?

If you prefer a hardcover, just buy a hardcover. Whats the discussion to be had?
>>
File: 1393796383102.jpg (12 KB, 203x200) Image search: [Google]
1393796383102.jpg
12 KB, 203x200
>>7562985
>Don't you have some offs to fuck?
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>7562978
So if you aren't buying the best, buy shit.
>>
>>7562986
Thanks - i haven't read fiction in such a long time, pretty excited to get comfy with a novel.

>>7563005
Some people want a certain experience that they feel will only come with a particular edition...since their reading experience is entirely subjective, their initial biases will affect the actual experience they have when reading.

I was just being a bit of a dick - apologies mate
>>
>>7563028
>Ricky is totally reddit right g-guise?

You're about as dense as a neutron star
>>
>>7563034
No I just think with books specifically, the physical experience with the book is so secondary to the actual reading, it's weird to expend a lot of mental energy on what edition to buy. It makes reading into something like collecting comic books.

>>7563035
Sure. It just seems like a dead end, discussion-wise. And in the case of a book like Ulysses, a convenient way to procrastinate the actual reading.
>>
>>7563052
On the subject of taking pleasure in a book's construction, people simply differ, and there's no use wasting time trying to convince one or the other camp to change its mind.
>>
>>7563028
Frig off

>>7563052
Choosing book editions doesn't take much energy. Some people like notes, bibliographies etc.
>>
File: IMG_20160109_180406.jpg (2 MB, 3096x4128) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160109_180406.jpg
2 MB, 3096x4128
There are a few editions of Ulysses that merit discussion but its so pointless and anal, this anon is right to an extent >>7563052
Just read the fucking book
In the case of Ulysses you aren't going to notice any spelling errors in your version and on a second reading with the help of annotations you'll discover little differences, but really it doesn't matter if the term used is "weeping god" or "jesus wept" or Connolly is spelt with one n or 2.

To actually answer Op's question though, the Everyman's library edition is more definitive but personally I think the Bodley Head edition is better, smaller, easier to hold and read therefore enjoy, much more manageable. I can bring it on a train or on holiday etc. as if it was a normal book rather that a 1000 page hardback.
>>
>>7563052
I agree when it comes to books in your native language. But edition gets important when translations are involved.
>>
Goethes sellected works is the only bad everyman I've bought, due to shitty prose translation of faust, rest has been stellar.
>>
>>7561951
Oxford is GOAT. especially if you can find one of the 1000 made on handmade paper, like i did :^)
>>
>>7561953
>>7561990
>>7561992
>>7561951
i think the most important thing about Ulisses is not the paper, but which edition is it:
original 1922 text or 1934 revised (best one imo) or Gabler's from 1984 (shit). That what matters guys
>>
File: ugh.jpg (22 KB, 267x285) Image search: [Google]
ugh.jpg
22 KB, 267x285
>>7563186
>but really it doesn't matter if the term used is "weeping god" or "jesus wept"
>>
The only thing that seems important is the version you are getting, if it is a revised one or the original one.
Companion books you can just download a number of them off of Libgen to aid with your understanding of it. I read the original one on a Wordsworth edition. It wasn't a great experience but the words were all there, and when I needed to check on something I just went to look at the notes or articles about each chapter.
>>
>>7562202
The Oxford edition is the censored public domain one
>>
>>7561951
>he fell for the meme
>>
>>7561951
>Ulysses
>Good
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.