[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good books to read when you're feeling lovesick?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 620x413
What are some good books to read when you're feeling lovesick?
>>
I think avoiding plots with romance (or even women) really helps. It's good to remind ourselves that the greatest experiences in life don't need to revolve around women.

Re-reading True Grit was awesome after a breakup.
>>
>>7561829
I'm not so much looking for books that alleviate the feeling. More books that deal with or contexualize it, especially feelings of uncertain or unrequited love.
>>
>>7561834
Then I'm going to suggest A Sentimental Education. Frederic the protagonist falls for a the wife of another man, and spends most of his life yearning for her. A marvelously subtle theme in the movie is his failure to build his own identity. It suddenly reminds me of something I just read about internet addiction, that the addiction is less about the internet itself, and more about lacking an interesting life besides it.
Also it's fucking beautiful. I can never read too much of it in one sitting, because I usually end up spending chunks of time reflecting on something I just read.
>>
>>7561854
Oops I said movie. I've been writing about movies all day. Anyway, you should read the first chapter online. It sets up so many feelings, and though its always easy to sympathize with a man getting infatuated with a beautiful woman, it's even more believable when you see how he immediately idealizes her, as he is, a) a romantic and an artist, and b) kind of in a rut with his life.
>>
>>7561854
>>7561863
Thanks anon
>>
sleep tight, bogger
>>
>>7561854
Which translation should I get — Baldrick's (Penguin) or the one by Hannigan (B&N Classics)?
>>
sleep tight, bogger
>>
>>7561854
This. And...

Of human Bondage, Stoner, Young Werther and Wong Kar Wai films especially Happy Together and Days of being Wild.

Have fun. Movies are a faster fix, i must admit.
>>
>>7561926
In my own experience B&N tries to cut costs by going with poorest quality/least up to date translation and eschewing as much as possible from text. Penguin is a good publisher generally.

That being said I have no familiarity with this work.
>>
My diary desu
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.