[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good Italian Literature
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: dante.jpg (179 KB, 850x1296) Image search: [Google]
dante.jpg
179 KB, 850x1296
Well /lit/, the Italian DNA in my blood has suddenly started calling, and I need to respond. Besides the obvious choices of the Divine Comedy and the Prince, what is some good Italian literature to civilize myself? Material from the Middle Ages from Dante to Niccolo would be the best as I love the medieval era, but anything will do. I feel disconnected from my heritage due to my grandmother not passing down the language, so I'd like to restart it with this generation.

Collections of folklore would be appreciated too if you can recommend me anything- just nothing from the days of Rome.
>>
orlando furioso
>>
read the fucking sticky
>>
Skip The Prince and read The Mandrake instead
>>
Italo Calvino
>>
Don Juan
>>
>>7561780
I am Italian and I'm majoring in Literature. Trust me, read Guicciardini's Storia d'Italia or some of the poems by Lorenzo Medici.
>>
There is none. Dante is only one good
>>
Il Giorno / Le Odi - Parini
Promessi Sposi - Manzoni
Canti - Leopardi
Novelle - Verga
Dei Delitti e delle Pene - Beccaria
Anything - Pirandello

Read these after what you mentioned in the OP and you'll be as versed in Italian lit as the average college-age Italian student.

If you want some rare and nice lit though, try

Hilarotragoedia - Giorgio Manganelli
Esordi / Canti del Caos - Antonio Moresco

t. Italian
>>
>>7562103
Bullshit. If you're not Italian you cannot truly understand the beauty of our literature. You should get on your knees in front of Dante's fellows. Not only in front of him.
>>
Tasso
>>
>>7562106
Good list this one.

A couple more maybe:

Tragedies by Vittorio Alfieri (which unfortunately I don't think were traslated into English)
Pleasure, d'Annunzio
The Tartar Steppe, Buzzati
>>
Let me guess OP, your great-great-great-great grandfather sailed over from Italy, making you 1/30th Italian, 1/64 Dutch, 1/25 Cherokee, and 1/87th Irish, right? And you have never been to Italy, don't speak a single word of Italian, and think that chicken parmesan and spaghetti with meatballs is Italian cuisine, yes?
>>
>>7562361
Are you Italian? Are you butthurt because >muh culture ?
>>
>>7562108
>italian
>beautifull
Kek, literally two, three words and voila - you have sentence in italian. Simplistic langauge for idiots cant be beautifull
>>
>>7562370
>voila
>beautifull
>langauge

10/10 dumb illiterate bait
>>
>>7562369
No, I am not Italian, I am just as much an Italian as you. But I don't go around claiming to be of a nationality just because a few of my ancestors come from there. If you went to Italy claiming to be an Italian, customs would ask you where you were born, and where you parents were born. If the answer to both of these questions is not "Italy", then I'm sorry, you are not an Italian by any standards.
>>
>>7562403
>Nordics this upset at having no meaningful contribution to the canon
>>
Gillo Dorfles
Renzo Novatore
Carlo M Cipolla

also figa calmatevi
>>
Giovanni Pico della Mirandola
>Oration on the Dignity of Man
>900 Theses
>>
>>7561780
>ctrl-f
>no petrarch
>>
File: 2nn54uf892mjf02.jpg (26 KB, 295x445) Image search: [Google]
2nn54uf892mjf02.jpg
26 KB, 295x445
>>7562403
>mfw I am Italian tho

OP didn't say his nationality was Italian, but that he has "Italian DNA in [his] blood", which, be it as little as 0.01%, would make sense.
>>
>>7561780
>muh heritage
Vaffanculo

Also read something by Umberto Eco, The name of the Rose is good
>>
>>7562129
underrated, maybe the best GOAT of italian literature
>>
>>7562445
Why vaffanculo? What's wrong with one's heritage?

The Name of the Rose is alright, I agree
>>
Italo Calvino - Città Invisibili
Italo Calvino - Se una notte di inverno un viaggiatore
Dino Buzzati - Il Deserto dei Tartari
Emilio Gadda - Quer pasticciaccio brutto de via merulana
>>
>>7562476
calmati amico era una battuta
>>
>>7562486
Also by calvino Cosmicomiche
>>
>>7562488
>la difficoltà di non sapere quando hai a che fare col solito americano che spara parole italiane a caso oppure no
>>
File: .png (405 KB, 715x672) Image search: [Google]
.png
405 KB, 715x672
>>7562509
anche se fossi americano non penso avrebbe tanta importanza in un forum di lampade boliviane

siamo tutti anon qui
>>
>>7562429
Codìo, Cipolla è fantastico. Me lo ha fatto leggere mio padre, bei ricordi.

Also

>figa calmatevi

Milano fotti fuori :^)
>>
just read la coscienza di Zeno by Italo Svevo, everything by tasso, ariosto and giacomo leopardi (I think heard that there are some recent english translations of operette morali), il giorno by parini (satire against fake progressist aristocracy) and calvino's il cavaliere inesistente if you like chanson de geste, orlando furioso, don quixote..
BTW LEOPARDI>>>>>>>> DANTE
>>
>>7562590
tfw sei figlio di immigrati e ti scambiano per milanese.

non so come dovrei sentirmi
>>
>>7562791
Parte integrante del tessuto socioculturale di questa grande nazione frankensteiniana ovviamente
>>
Dante
Petrarca (Petrarch for filthy anglos)
Boccaccio (his Decameron inspired Chaucer's Canterbury Tales)
Ludovico Ariosto
Torquato Tasso
Carlo Goldoni
Umberto Eco
>>
>>7562627
>Italian literature
>Don Quixote

wat
>>
>>7562429
>consigli bellissimi seguiti da
>figa calmatevi

fiero di essere uno di voi
>>
>>7563745
Non credo di aver capito

(sì, sono magrebanon)
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.