[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the best books set in the ancient world, /lit/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 471x312) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 471x312
What are the best books set in the ancient world, /lit/?
>>
>>7557583
The iliad
>>
The Death of Virgil
>>
The ones written during the ancient world.
>>
Latro in the Mist
>>
>>7557583
The Aeneid
>>
>>7557583
It's the Illiad. But I also strongly recommend Thusidises, The Peripenisian War.
>>
File: aztec.jpg (34 KB, 318x468) Image search: [Google]
aztec.jpg
34 KB, 318x468
Ayyy, let's cut the Greco-Roman circlejerk for awhile. This book right here. It's set in the Aztec empire in the few decades before Spanish conquest. As an archaeologist specializing in Central America, I found that it was actually extremely accurate, giving an overview of history, mythology, and custom. Plus, the narrative and writing quality are pretty good.
>>
>>7560474
>Aztec empire in the few decades before Spanish conquest

yep that sure is the ancient world
>>
>>7560474
Pls give me a short syllabus of history books for an historian of Europe who is reasonably at home in antiquity/medieval/early modern/modern/islam/even china but knows jack fucking shit about Mesoamerica/South America

Seriously like hardcore actual books, not easy peasy shitdick books, the best surveys even if they're 100 years old and ultra-dense, anything. I want to inject the Aztec geist into my eyeballs.
>>
>>7560485
Anything in North America taking place before 1492 is technically prehistory.
>>
>>7560498
No.

You should have found a better excuse for talking about the topic that interests you, at least be honest instead of going "Well TECHNICALLY under some certain definition the 14th century qualifies as 'ancient world'"

Also you should feel ashamed for recommending something that says "#1 New York Times Bestseller" on the cover.
>>
>>7560497
I'm not at home to parse through my books, but it's best to start with general history and codices, then get further into it. The Thames&Hudson MEXICO textbook is simple, but comprehensive, and the Codex Chimalpahin and Codex Borgia give overviews of culture and mythology respectively.
>>
Controversial opinion incoming:

The Iliad is superior and more influential than the Odyssey.
>>
>>7560498
Prehistory is usually defined as before written history. As the Aztecs had a writing system before Columbus it can't be considered prehistory..
>>
>>7560527
How is that controversial in any way
>>
>>7560527

That is a true statement.

Besides a woman wrote the Odyssey anyways...
>>
>>7557583
Plutarchs lives and Livy's history of the second Punic wAr.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.