[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vonnegut
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2
File: Kurt_Vonnegut_1972.jpg (262 KB, 936x1388) Image search: [Google]
Kurt_Vonnegut_1972.jpg
262 KB, 936x1388
/lit/ opinion on Vonnegut, any good? Recommend as a read? Best book/s?
>>
Good
Slaughterhaus-5
Mother Night
Kekfast of champions
>>
>>7551056

He is not good and I would not recommend him unless you are 13
>>
Slaughterhouse-5 is good.

Pass on the rest.
>>
>>7551062
OP here. What's not good about him?
>>
>>7551067
People we don't like like him lol
>>
>>7551056
I read Slaughterhouse 5 and Cats Cradle. Both were good.

Also read "Look at the Birdie" which is a collection of short stories. It was good but not as good as the novels.
>>
go back to reddit
>>
>>7551079
Not good enough... More legit reasons needed. Writing style was shit? Subjects were shit? Rapist? Gimme good reasons. Not "just because".
>>
Boring subjects, boring writing. Dropped Slaughterhouse 20 pages in. Pass
>>
>>7551090
OP here. Nice I was looking forward to reading both of those. Was just making sure if the critic ratings were legit (getting public consensus) before picking them up. Thanks.
>>
>>7551091
Go back to sucking on chodes.
>>
>>7551101
Got a substitute for Vonnegut then?
>>
>>7551115
Read the sticky.
>>
>>7551119
Right, my bad total newfag here.
>>
>Best book/s?
depends; if you want sci-fi then i would recommend Sirens of Titan and Cat's Cradle (although the latter is light on the sci-fi). if you want weird narration strategy (that he is kind of known for) then i would recommend Breakfast of Champions or maybe Slaughterhouse-5. if you want a grounded story about an interesting person's life story (fictional autobiography, essentially) then I would recommend Bluebeard.
>>
>>7551134
Helpful anon, thanks!
>>
Cat's Cradle and Slaughterhouse Five.

Breakfast of Champions if you want something purely entertaining.

Vonnegut has other worthwhile novels; however, a lot of his other work is much less memorable and sort of beat the same dead horse. Slapstick and Timequake, for instance. They're not bad, but it's just sort of like "Okay, it's Vonnegut. I get it."
>>
Why does nobody ever mention Sirens Of Titan?

Easily his best work, its fantastic.
>>
>>7551388
this always
>>
>>7551188
>Breakfast of Champions if you want something purely entertaining.

>purely entertaining

BoC offered very bleak and honest critique of America.
>>
>>7553000
Entertaining critique, none the less
>>
Breakfast of Champions was hilarious and Vonnegut seemed like a great man
>>
I wad ok witb Slaughter House 5 up until that section about the failure science fiction writer. Didnt understand it at all. Overall the book was something I didnt particularly enjoy or hate but at least glad I had the experience.
>>
Vonnegut is really divisive here, given he's entry level and /lit/ wants to pretend he didn't get them into literature.

I've read Player Piano, The Sirens of Titan, Slaughterhouse 5, Cat's Cradle, and Breakfast of Champions. The Sirens of Titan is the best out of them all, in my opinion, and Breakfast of Champions, despite or in spite of it's postmodernism, is probably worse of these. Still, all worth a read.

I'm reading God Bless you, Mr. Rosewater for the first time right now, and maybe it's because I'm returning to Vonnegut after immersing myself into different kinds of literature, but it's coming off as extremely heavy handed. Nice narrative structure though.
>>
>>7553015

Kilgore Trout is a tragicomic figure because he's an obscure and virtually unknown writer who writes parables that can be seen as things that can actually literally save the world in Vonnegut's novels. But since he's just a writer, the right people in the novels are never going to know of these stories and the world will continue to go to shit.

It's an authorial self-insert, basically.
>>
>>7553506
>and /lit/ wants to pretend he didn't get them into literature.
I think the problem is more that people take him as high literature. We also talk about 1984, BNW, Huckelberry, and so on. If you don't imply that it's a merit to have read them you can have a decent discussion.
>>
>>7553548
>people take him as high literature
What mean? Does that mean he's supposed to be pure entertainment? If his work expresses ideas that are/were new at the time or an outlook that is new, wouldn't we call it "high literature", thought provoking or enlightening, thus high literature?
>>
>people are unironically discussing vonnegut now

fuck reddit fuck the imgur fuck all of you
>>
File: image.jpg (128 KB, 539x759) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
128 KB, 539x759
>>7551056
I recommend Mother Night, read it in like one day
>>
He is a very good writer, and I personally like him because of his humour. I think people criticise him here because they are funny, which makes them easy to read.
>>
Depends all on whether or not you find his writing style funny. I find it hilarious, I've seen others who don't view it the same way. Pick up Slaughterhouse 5 and give it a shot, OP.
>>
I have never read anything of his and I don't plan on it.
>>
Lol! so it goes! all my fav indie bands reference the vonnegutster!
>>
Just finished slaughterhouse 5. Back in AP Lit our teacher broke us into groups and each group had to read a book, then present it. I chose Great Expectations, and another group had Slaughterhouse. For some reason I avoided Vonnegut until now.

It was ok. I liked the edginess but honestly I would have enjoyed it more when I was 16-17. The "so it goes" got on my nerves. I appreciated the message he conveyed about war, and found his 4th wall breaking cute. However, post-modernism was over for me after I finished infinite jest. I hope 2666 revives PoMo for me.
>>
>>7551056
I still like him. I read him early & thought he was great. He's very readable. Now I've read more better writers, he has diminished somewhat, but not to the extent the autists on here sometimes make out.
>>
>>7551056
vonnegut? good for youth. best work? i personally loved welcome to the monkey house, short stories are a perfect format to read vonnegut in, since his writing style really never varies, and you feel like you're reading the same book over and over again. but his concepts are fun and interesting, i read him and heinlein at a young age, and both were very influential in helping me to enjoy reading, of course, when i finally got into classic literature, things definitely changed, and unfortunately, guys like vonnegut and heinlein don't cut it anymore, but in a pinch, you could do much worse.
>>
>>7551056
I read Slaughterhouse-5, Cat's Cradle and Breakfast of Champions. I found them to be entertaining reads, would recommend them for some fun.
>>
>>7551056
Galapagos is my favorite.
It's got the sci-fis and the cry-fis and Kilgore Trout becomes God
>>
Reminder that if you like Vonnegut you don't belong on this board.
>>
>>7554058
>Talking about Vonnegut == liking Vonnegut
I'm talking about you right now, but I still think you're a faggot
>>
>>7554096
>he likes Vonneshit and defends him against strangers on Chinese cartoon imageboards
>>
>>7554102
You should read a book bro it'll expand your mind
>>
He's good, but he's also redundant. After reading two of his books you'll be nauseated from all of the "Dude, you have no free will" and "Time isn't linear, maaaaaaaaaan,"
>>
>>7551061
I think cat's craddle is pretty good and the ending is great. Timequake, however, is not that good.

Haven't read mother night or breakfast of champions. I'm sure I will though, my girlfriend loves him and will surely buy more of his books.
>>
so it goes :^)
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.