[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone read a translation of IJ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 07b9017b42a0356d6f163210.L.jpg (29 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
07b9017b42a0356d6f163210.L.jpg
29 KB, 375x500
Has anyone read a translation of IJ?
>>
No one would ever bother.
>>
>>7550652
I'm reading the brazilian portuguese version desu
>>
>>7550781
how is it?
>>
>>7550804
Pretty good so far. Sometimes I check the original book when I feel suspicious about something, but it flows pretty much the same as the original.
>>
>>7550652
i read it in English, pretty good desu
>>
My library only has the version OP has posted in his pic.
any german bros read it, is it any good?
>>
>>7550652
why would anyone be this stupid?
>>
>>7550652

I don't want to speculate too wildly, but it's possible that Infinite Jest is *already* a book in translation. What I mean by that is that although Infinite Jest is ostensibly written in American English, it is also so potent a work of literature that I suspect Wallace may have composed it first in a language of pure thought, a metaphysical language—a language of precision in which there is no ambiguity, no approximation of ideas, just the ideas themselves—and then translated it into English so that we could enjoy it. That's just a theory at the moment, but I think future scholarship will bear it out. Is it a little Out There? No. We're talking about the smartest man who ever lived. In a post-Wallace world, we have to be careful not to cling the old paradigm of possibility. I know that sounds overblown. I don't want to get carried away. I just think we should all keep in mind that we should read Infinite Jest because it's a good book, that's all, and because the fate of the universe depends on it.
>>
>>7551840
kek
>>
Read the exact German version depicted in the OP. It was okay. The translator was pretty based. As far as I an tell he replaced wordplay you couldn't translate with adequate German expressions and I never had the feeling of 'oh this would make sense in English' that I sometimes get when reading other books.
>>
>>7553163
>>7550652
I own this very version aswell because I read somewhere that the translator spent like 6 years on it and it is supposed to be very good (he won some literature award with the translation I think?) but I never got around to reading it more than a few pages before I borrowed it to a friend who I assume did not start reading it either so far. That was like a year ago what the fuck.
>>
No, but I plan on making one.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.