[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New Author AMA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5
File: nrkbo0R9oD1rdq2opo1.jpg (40 KB, 480x449) Image search: [Google]
nrkbo0R9oD1rdq2opo1.jpg
40 KB, 480x449
I just got my first book published, Ask Me Anything
Other new authors also welcome
>>
real publish or shit publish?

how much did you get? is it selling well?
>>
>>7546655
I assume by shit publish you mean self publish. Yes, I got an actually publisher.

I get roughly a buck per copy sold. Slightly more for digital than physical, which was surprising I thought I'd end up getting less on the digital.

It's too early to tell if it's selling well, it only came out just before Christmas, and I won't know for sure how many copies have sold until six months time when I get my first cut of the profits.
>>
>>7546651
Please tell me your pic is the name of the book
>>
File: 593.gif (468 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
593.gif
468 KB, 500x282
>>7546668

>when I get my first cut of the profits

pfft. you ARE a new author.
>>
>>7546696
Afraid not.
>>
>>7546698
We can't all get handed several grand off the bat. Gotta start somewhere.
>>
>>7546651
novel? nonfiction? subject? target audience?
>>
>>7546651
>How many pages?
>How long did you work on it?
>How many rejections did you get?
>Do you have an agent?
>>
>>7546754
Novel. It's about an unhinged self-trained mage that coerces a demon into helping him commit matricide, and gets roped into working for Hell as a consequence. Target Audience is college age kids.
>>
>>7546651
Proof or gtfo. Also, give us an excerpt from what you think is the best example of your writing.
>>
>>7546651
how did u do it senpai
>>
>>7546802
199 pages, 76,300 words.
Technically I started working on it when I was like 14, which was about a decade ago. The next several years included long bouts of writing nothing, frequently scrapping everything to start again, and taking breaks to write fanfiction. Most of that was growing pains. Starting from the most recent time I scrapped everything and started again it took about three years, in which I was also juggling university.

For comparison, a different project currently sitting on backburner only took about four months to finish the first draft and the second draft.
Through some freakish miracle of luck, I got my acceptance letter in the first rond of submissions I sent out and before I got a single rejection letter.
I do not have an agent.
>>
>>7546859
>>7546907

Sounds like a publisher just trying to ride the video game/game of thrones/nerd culture train going on right now. Basically throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

Regardless, I'll take luck over nothing. Good on you for making the effort, OP. Good luck with your book.
>>
Where can I buy your book?
>>
As of now you are just above being no one. Why don't you just tell us what is the name of the book?
>>
>>7546878
google Draconian Symphony. First result should be on Amazon.

This bit here is one I always liked. For the record, it jumps around between a few different perspectives from chapter to chapter.
http://pastebin.com/HDxMkpAd
>>
>>7546942
digital copies can be gotten from Amazon and Barnes & Noble and physical copies from tell-talepublishing.com
>>
File: 897645687.jpg (282 KB, 750x720) Image search: [Google]
897645687.jpg
282 KB, 750x720
>>
>15 bucks
Nigga I...
>>
>>7546959
oof. fantasy schlock. /lit/'s not gonna be happy...

do you have any plans to write literary fiction or do you plan on sticking with fantasy/YA stuff?
>>
>>7546997
gonna stick with the fantasy schlock. If I ever write any literary fiction it would probably be by accident.
>>
>>7547013
How to get published: write saleable garbage.
>>
>>7546986
digital's just $3
>>
>>7546651
have you written anything else?
>>
>>7547818
bunch of fanfic, some erotic comedy, Part 2 of this book which just needs a tad more tweaking to make it in-line with the editor's desired formatting, and another novel currently on its second draft that I'll finish when I'm done with the aforementioned tweaking.
>>
What kind of revisions did your publisher have you make?
Did you get an agent?
>>
>>7546997

>/lit/'s not gonna be happy

Good thing nobody gives a shit about /lit/'s retarded contrarian views.

Congrats on getting published OP. I'll admit it looks fairly 3edgy5me but I can respect that you've put the effort into it and took that momentous step toward getting published.

I might put it on my watch list to pick it up in a few weeks cause edgy feel to it aside it does have a kinda neat premise.
>>
Who took your author photo?
>>
>>7548065
I agree with this - /lit/ initially was interesting to me because of its "anti-mainstream" contrarian viewpoints, but once I realized that there's never an actual opinion behind the "being contrarian for the sake of it" POV it got tiring very quickly.
>>
>>7548035
change the tense from present to past, fix up how I formatted dialogue, trim some excess description of crap that ultimately was just meaningless imagery
>>
>>7548065
Thanks for the support. Won't pretend there isn't a lot of edgy stuff there from when I was a teen, but I decided I'd rather finish the product regardless than get hung up on it and never get anything done.
>>7548078
Housemate. I don't actually have a lot of photos of myself.
>>
>>7546907
>fanfiction
Wew lad
>>
>>7548011
That sounds fantastic, good to hear you're finding success
>>
Have you been asked to promote the book, and if yes, what did or are you going to do?
Also how did you go about finding publishers, and how did your submission look?
>>
>>7547087
jealousy: the post, or a realistic perspective?
>>
>>7547087
>>7548256
not everthing published or saleable is garbage
>>
>>7548248
Yes, submit some review copies to some places, commission some promo art, and some shilling at local social events I frequent. Gonna do that this weekend.
I just looked up a shitload of publishers, took note of which ones seemed like they'd be interested, and started sending off submissions.
Each one was tailored to that publisher's submission guidelines, but generally they had a pitch, followed by a chapter synopsis, and the first three chapters, and an author bio.
>>
>>7548348
Oh so you didn't send the entire thing?
Is it the norm to only send a few chapters?
>>
>>7548360
Yeah, if they like it, then they will ask you to send in the whole thing for them to look at, and if they still like it that's when a contract gets put on the table
>>
>>7548011
How many books you planning on writing for the series? And do you have them all planned out?
>>
>>7548500
just part 1 and 2 for this storyline, but I got about ten books planned all in the same universe that are more or less one after the other,
one of the subplots of the duology is a thousand years of stagnation coming to an end, after which there's something of a slingshot effect of everything trying to make up for lost time.
>>
File: 4296049.jpg (33 KB, 250x393) Image search: [Google]
4296049.jpg
33 KB, 250x393
This you dude?

Besides the abject creepiness, congrats seriously. I wish you the best of luck. You a normal here or do you just want to shit on the dreams of other prospective writers?
>>
>>7548667
and congrats on those milk producing man titties
>>
>>7546651
How did you write your story, by that I mean please take me through your planning process.

I'm sitting in front of 10k words worth of scenes that have a rough place in my novel but I'm worried about introducing too many plot points.
>>
>>7548667
that me
>>7548701
I generally come up with characters then find characters with themes that mesh and think of where they can go, then work back and forth from that into a story arc.
if I feel like a theme is worth developing more I research mythology and folklore that might be related and find things to draw from.
If I feel like I'm cramming too many things into one book I stick the setting up stuff in one book so I can cash in on them, so to speak, in the next
>>
>>7548089
/lit/ isn't even really contrarian, it's a fucking literature board. YA and fantasy shit just don't belong here by definition.

That having been said, it's really cool that OP got an actual publisher and I hope his book sells well.
>>
>>7548348
>Yes, submit some review copies to some places

Anyone reviewed your book?
>>
File: 1398477881592.jpg (42 KB, 394x458) Image search: [Google]
1398477881592.jpg
42 KB, 394x458
>no ratings on goodreads yet

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28371484-draconian-symphony?ac=1&from_search=1

How much will you pay me to write you a good 5 star review?
>>
>>7549127
Not yet. Doing that is on my to-do list for this weekend.
>>
>>7548667
youre quite angry
>>
Benjamin is a ravenous consumer and creator of media, with a passion for speculative fiction. He primarily deals with themes of the occult, transhumanism, and mythology. Most days he runs on extra strength Ceylon tea, and he shares in the Australian appetite for alcohol. In his spare time, he also enjoys video games and the occasional rave.
>>
>>7548089
/lit/ is probably the only board on 4chan that is identifibly non-contrarian. Look at our top 100 list... If you take away the rankings (because books get meme'd to the top) you have a pretty standard top 100. A lot of those books you'd see in any top 100. If we were contrarian we would be reading books no one else has ever heard of, which no one on this board does.
>>
>>7549201
>implying anyone on this board reads to begin with

kek'd :^)
>>
>>7549136
I'll pay you one (1) minor character appearance, terms & conditions apply
>>
Also, OP, how about uploading an epub to mega for your /lit/ friends? Maybe some of us will end up buying it if it's good
>>
This?

http://www.tell-talepublishing.com/store/p46/Draconian_Symphony_by_Benjamin_Dempsey-Now_Available.html
>>
Will you be posting here later?
Do you post here regularly?
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.