[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys. Who is your favorite mainstream author? I personally
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: stephen_king_gw_.jpg (2 MB, 1333x2000) Image search: [Google]
stephen_king_gw_.jpg
2 MB, 1333x2000
Hey guys. Who is your favorite mainstream author? I personally love Stephen King, no matter what anyone else has to say about it. He's written more (best-selling) novels than most people have read, so he seems to know something about the craft.
>>
>>7538943
So has, i dont know, Lee Child.
If there is such a thing as a mainstream contemporary author, then there are no good mainstream contemporary authors, since the only ones I can think of that strictly speaking fit that classification all suck
>>
Jonathan Franzen is mainstreamish?
So's Philip Roth I guess?
Is Mordecai Richler?
>>
>>7538943
THE DECISION to give the National Book Foundation's annual award for "distinguished contribution" to Stephen King is extraordinary, another low in the shocking process of dumbing down our cultural life. I've described King in the past as a writer of penny dreadfuls, but perhaps even that is too kind. He shares nothing with Edgar Allan Poe. What he is is an immensely inadequate writer on a sentence-by-sentence, paragraph-by-paragraph, book-by-book basis.
>>
King is to books what Michael Bay is to movies.

I'm not saying that as an insult and I've enjoyed several of his novels unironically.
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 482x298) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 482x298
stephen king is a better filmmaker than he is writer desu

sorcerer is better than all his books combined
>>
>>7538953
your opinion carries a lot of weight.
>>
>>7538987
fuck harold bloom
>>
The Stand and It are great books. You're a fool if you avoid reading them because you like being contrarian.
>>
>>7538943

I like him just his books are often comfy
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 460x276
>>7538943
Elmore Leonard. I love crime.
>>
File: n-HAROLD-BLOOM-large570.jpg (73 KB, 570x238) Image search: [Google]
n-HAROLD-BLOOM-large570.jpg
73 KB, 570x238
>>7538987
So do his knees.
>>
I have never read a stephen king novel but I hate him as a person. I heard him on an NPR interview with Diane Rehm the other day and he talked for like five minutes about how Go Set A Watchman is misunderstood and that professional reviewers were missing the point/context/etc., then said he hadn't read it but it was "on the book shelf". What the fuck.
>>
>>7539296
hahaha the fuck?
>>
>>7539305
right? isn't that infuriating? He even explicitly said things like "they don't understand what it's about". Like how? At best he is assuming that one opinion he read on the internet is better than another, at worst he is pulling shit out of his ass because it sounds good to him. How do you go on public radio and do that? I was astonished. I turned the radio off. I pulled over for some coffee. It was deeply disturbing to me that Diane didn't laugh him off her show.
>>
I haven't read them in years but I used to like Stephen King and Michael Crichton. Comfy times.
>>
>>7539322
>It was deeply disturbing to me that Diane didn't laugh him off her show.
To be fair I find myself thinking this roughly half the time I listen to NPR. They never call guests on their bullshit.
>>
William Gibson
>>
>>7539322
She was probably jacking him off under the desk, that slut
>>
John Green.
>>
Garcia Marquez
His books are just too lovable, also being able to read them in Spanish just makes them tastier.
>>
>>7539370
>ywn speak spanish
>>
File: rehm235.jpg (186 KB, 1484x987) Image search: [Google]
rehm235.jpg
186 KB, 1484x987
>>7539365
Really agreed 2bh, Diane Rehm has the telltale look of a completely blown-out roastie who got
used up and decided to hop off the cock-carousel and reinvent herself as a "LIBERATED RESPECTABLE
SERIOUS PROFESSIONAL WOMYN" and now relies on donations from vapid liberal sluts stealing
every penny from their husbands' credit cards to support herself and fight for GRRL POWER OMG
Disgusting cunt.
>>
>>7539408
Fuck, that was supposed to spell "RUSED" down the side but the thumbnail messed it up
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.