[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Suggestions for books to read by Tolkien
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: photo_5653_0-5.jpg (123 KB, 400x700) Image search: [Google]
photo_5653_0-5.jpg
123 KB, 400x700
Suggestions for books to read by Tolkien
>>
>>7538088
could the Hobbit be published today? I don't think there's a single woman in the book outside of Bilbo's aunt/cousin or whatever who is mentioned in passing.
>>
File: Maximum over drive.png (2 MB, 1339x804) Image search: [Google]
Maximum over drive.png
2 MB, 1339x804
>>7538088
>Suggestions for books to read by Tolkien
All of it.

Pic needs an update with my Red Book.
>>
>>7538088
how do i get into the silmarillion? I tried reading it but it's so damn confusing. I've read LOTR and the hobbit but this one feels like an appendix of events rather than a real story.
>>
>>7538137
Did you read the preface? It's not a story at all, it's a series of events which links everything together. However there IS an over-arching story as it's all about jewels.

It took me a second read to fully begin to understand everything.

Read Hurin if you haven't and maybe Unfinished Tales if you are having a lot of trouble getting through it, it's really dense.

300 pages outline the whole history of Arda where he used ~1000+ pages to write LOTR alone.
>>
>>7538088
Definitive for over 15 years:
http://tolkien.slimy.com/
Only covers the Middle-earth books, though.
>>
>>7538232
Best non-Middle-earth, IMHO: Farmer Giles of Ham.
Quite different in tone from the Middle-earth books. Published 5 yrs before LOTR. Elements of parody and class conflict prominent.
>>
>>7538256
>Farmer Giles of Ham.
Fuck yeah.
>>
>>7538119
damn, is that all the volumes of the History of Middle-Earth? How is it?
>>
>>7539748
To say the least. Massive.

Worth every cent.
>>
>>7539762
cool, I picked up Unfinished Tales this Christmas, so perhaps I'll get to the History of Middle-Earth after that. Or I might re-read Children of Húrin. Túrin's story really is heavy stuff.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.