[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Philosophy of Law
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: phil-law.jpg (28 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
phil-law.jpg
28 KB, 500x500
Dear /lit/erary citizens, what are the essential readings for a solid grounding in Philosophy of Law?
I'm in law school but recently I've been looking for something to motivate me to finish. I'm not struggling with it, it's just starting to get a bit boring so I thought exploring the philosophical groundings of law might spice it up a bit.
>>
>>7537907
The Republic desu desu

The book is vital for anyone with an interest in law and justice.
>>
>>7537907
Thinking Like a Lawyer by Frederick Schauer is a good place to start because it's modern and very easy to read and explains a lot of jurisprudential stuff that they don't explicitly tell you in law school about and asks a lot of the underlying philosophical questions associated with modern American law

Then for deeper knowledge:

The Concept of Law by HLA Hart
Law's Empire by Dworkin

After those, I would recommend using Schauer's book to follow up on specifics via law review articles cited in his footnotes. If your law school provides access to westlaw, then you can go from there.
>>
>>7537928
Listen to this guy. He suggested all that I was going to mention.

>>7537923
Don't listen to this guy.
>>
>>7537923
I ordered that a couple days ago, gonna get on reading it as soon as it arrives so I'll see how relevant it still is

>>7537928
Thanks for the good reply, I'll get Thinking Like a Lawyer, I've read some of Dworkin's stuff before so I'll dig it up too.

I've got westlaw access too.

Are there any specific schools of philosophy which could be said to be of particular importance to law? Might help me broaden my knowledge of philosophy too if I can relate to it more.
>>
START WOTH THE GREEKS
T
A
R
T

W
I
T
H

T
H
E

G
R
E
E
K
S
>>
>>7537988
WITH
I
T
H
>>
>>7537956
Probably Kant more than most. Act utilitarianism and rule utilitarianism are big themes. Cicero and Aquinas for their views on natural law.

Big law specific philosophers:
Bentham, Blackstone, Austin, Kelsen, Hart, Dworkin, Lon Fuller, Jerome Frank, Llewellyn, Leon Green, then you'd start getting super modern.
>>
>>7537988
>>7537998
How do you even fuck up memeposting?

>>7538005
Thank you for these, I'll start ordering and reading.
>>
Ciceros speeches kinda get you all fired up I would say - starting law school next fall, right after finishing up dat gymnasium.
>>
>>7538032
No problem, but I would strongly recommend starting with Schauer's book.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.