[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you are writing a series of books, a series of books that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: George_R_R_Martin.jpg (155 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
George_R_R_Martin.jpg
155 KB, 1500x1000
If you are writing a series of books, a series of books that has a beginning and has every intention of having a definite end, do you have an obligation to your readers to finish it?
>>
There are no obligations in art
An obligation for a successful product however may involve pleasing the customer
>>
>>7537536
I find it hard to believe many authors would just give up on an ongoing series they have invested lots of time into. Personally, I feel that no author should feel obliged to do anything else than what they want with their work, whether it's not finishing it or writing something sure to upset your readers.
>>
>>7537536
no, but you have an obligation to yourself, assuming that writing is your main source of income, to write likable characters in a setting and story that doesn't eventually elicit the reaction, opinion, or feeling
>I don't care about what happens to these people
before the planned end of your work
>>
>>7537585
There are a decent amount of likable characters in ASOIAF, the problem is Gurm keeps killing them all.
>>
No obligation at all. If I were GRRM I would be pretty tired of all the pressure, and all the people telling him indirecly that he could die soon with the books unwritten. In his case I would finish the books, print them, start a fire with all the copies available and then jump into it.
>>
The greatest series ever written is Don Quixote.
>>
>>7537536
There's no obligation to, but it's certainly understandable that the readers would want to see each continuation and ending.
>>
>>7537613
personally, as far as I've gotten which is about half through a dance with dragons, there's only one likable character left for me and that's Tyrion. I can't be bothered to care about anybody else, or else they've lost my favor, or else again they were added too late and they just don't hold the same draw as the characters who were around since the beginning. I can't even be bothered to care about Davos or Bran because their story is just going through painfully obvious motions at this point.
>>
Personally I don't see the point in writing a series that long. What's so incredible that needs to be told in so many pages?
>>
No obligation, but you also can't expect readers not to hate you.
>>
>>7537787
>>No obligation, but you also can't expect readers not to hate you.

This, desu senpai.
>>
File: 51KYBfXan7L._SY400_.jpg (28 KB, 282x400) Image search: [Google]
51KYBfXan7L._SY400_.jpg
28 KB, 282x400
People can't expect you to be working 24/7, rushing through your last years in order to cater to them, even if they were your source of income and now you live well off it.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.