[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reading multiple books at the same time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: download (6).jpg (10 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
download (6).jpg
10 KB, 284x177
How many books at a time do you read?

I have a stack of books on my desk, so instead of reading one at a time, I really want to try reading maybe two or three at a time.

Basically, one fiction book, one economics book, and one programming book, reading them all, instead of finishing one book after the other.

I'm wondering though if this is effecient? Has anyone else had any problems with this? Only problem I can foresee is that I have only one bookmark.
>>
>>7537519
I try to keep it to 2 but it occasionally bumps up to 3. One nonfiction/philosophy and one fiction.
>>
>>7537519

Right now I'm reading:

Being and Time
The Portable Jung
Portable Darkness
History of the Peloponnesian War

Mostly it's just that I hate all of them on some level so I kept picking up new books to buffer my reading with, now I just switch between them when I get annoyed with one. The big problem is I don't feel like I'm making progress which is discouraging.
>>
>>7537538
>>7537539
Well another problem is I like reading a book before bed, but now I have to choose which to read... Maybe I can have just three periods through the day? I imagine I'll be reading the programming book all throughout the day though because that shit's like, my work, but...
>>
>>
>>7537552
>I like reading a book before bed,
That's a bad idea if you like reading as your body will start to use reading as a signal to sleep. As to the rest, pick up the one that you want to read more that day. If the other one is dry, I tend to go two chapters of one, one chapter of the other. Persistence is worth far more than a binge read.
>>
>>7537598
This is what I like to do. One fun/easy book and one intellectually challenging/difficult book. Not that the two are always mutually exclusive, in which case I tend to have one fiction and one non fiction.
>>
>>7537598
I guess I should start cutting out my gayming hours and start putting in book hours in place.
>>
File: seneca.jpg (9 KB, 245x350) Image search: [Google]
seneca.jpg
9 KB, 245x350
Absolute plebians.

>You do not run hither and thither and distract yourself by changing your abode; for such restlessness is the sign of a disordered spirit. The primary indication, to my thinking, of a well-ordered mind is a man’s ability to remain in one place and linger in his own company. Be careful, however, lest this reading of many authors and books of every sort may tend to make you discursive and unsteady.

>And the same thing must hold true of men who seek intimate acquaintance with no single author, but visit them all in a hasty and hurried manner.

>“But,” you reply, “I wish to dip first into one book and then into another.” I tell you that it is the sign of an overnice appetite to toy with many dishes; for when they are manifold and varied, they cloy but do not nourish.

-Seneca
>>
>>7537519
Three. I try not to mix genres for the sake of variety, right now I'm reading The Gunslinger, Maus and the Mammoth Hunters.
>>
>>7537662
or just play games with a lot of text
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.