[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you don't read for plot, what should you read for?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 1409652628936.jpg (223 KB, 800x609) Image search: [Google]
1409652628936.jpg
223 KB, 800x609
If you don't read for plot, what should you read for?
>>
prose, themes, etc

mostly prose tho
>>
Prose>Themes>Impressing /lit/>Plot
>>
File: 1451569244283.jpg (41 KB, 352x315) Image search: [Google]
1451569244283.jpg
41 KB, 352x315
>>7535932

pleb
>reading for plot

normal
>reading for characters

pseudo-patrician
>reading for prose

patrician
>reading for themes

real literary critics and other genuinely intelligent and sensitive readers
>realizing good authors use all of the above to work together in order to create an impressive and emotionally resonant work of art
>>
how do I learn what is and isn't good prose? I'm not an Arts Major.
>>
>>7535991
>>realizing good authors use all of the above to work together in order to create an impressive and emotionally resonant work of art

this is the real pseudo-patrician btw
>>
At first I would read because doing so would make me feel smart. Now I read because the activity helps me turn off my internal dialogue; in other words, it liberates me from the burden of thinking and gives meaning to my existence.
>>
>>7536018
just read a lot and you'll be able to tell
>>
>>7536018
You'll know it when you see it
>>
>>7536018

It just means it sounds good when read aloud. It should also actually have meaning to it other than random words that sounds nice, and it should also have a style that suits the emotions of the story and characters (and if it doesn't, then its irony should be meaningful).
>>
>>7536075
>It just means it sounds good when read aloud.

no it doesn't.
>>
>>7536054
>>7536036
Would reading reviews be a good way to understand prose better? Any consistently decent reviewers or review sites?
>>
>>7536114
>Would reading reviews be a good way to understand prose better?

no
>>
>>7536121
Guess I'll just hope I understand it after a few books. Currently have read 1984 and Metro 2033, powering through Brave New World now. Then I'm going to try the Brothers Karamazov.
>>
How do you read 'for prose' how did your lit profs describe this?

how do you read for theme? you just identity themes and make note ofthe commentary surrounding that them?
>>
File: 1419545710758.jpg (277 KB, 1180x1204) Image search: [Google]
1419545710758.jpg
277 KB, 1180x1204
>>7535991
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.