[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys think about A Brief History of Seven Killings?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
What do you guys think about A Brief History of Seven Killings?
>>
Brilliant. Best new English language book that I've read in a long time.
>>
>>7535525
Finally going to break my 'no books by non-whites or non-males' boycott to read this. But still haven't read it yet. Nothing by a non-male in the forseeable future though.
>>
>>7535640
Not even Japs?
>>
>>7535640
get a blog faggot
>>
>>7535567
Cool to see some praise for something on /lit/, once in a while, instead of the usual contrarian shitposting. Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow.

>>7535640
You're missing out tho, and I'm not memeing. Joan Didion's nonfiction, Anne Carson's poetry - why deprive yourself of some fine Twentieth Century books?
>>
>>7535647
I never bought into the 'Japs are honorary Aryans' meme. To me they are just perverted and sneaky gooks.
>>
>>7535525
I read the sample chapter on Amazon then bought it as a Christmas gift for my brother, so when he's finished it I'll see if I can borrow it.

What I read certainly seems interesting but the very Jamaican-style of speaking in the prose made it a little harder to read and slowed me down a bit.
>>
>>7535654
its not a "meme" there where made that by the Bureau of Race Research
>>
>>7535653
>You're missing out tho, and I'm not memeing. Joan Didion's nonfiction, Anne Carson's poetry - why deprive yourself of some fine Twentieth Century books?
there's a couple of thousand years of white male lit
you could read all your life and never exhaust the canon of worthy literary works
there's no deprivation involved in not reading women
we're self-sufficient
>>
>>7536005
You're both right and wrong. Yes, you can read only the "canon", just a portmanteau for the white male lit you described, all of your life and never wont for quality literature, sure - but at the same time avoiding other literatures (quality ones, I want to remind you, I'm not advocating for "lol all the bookz are created equal why you not reading John Green and shitz") IS depriving you of something else - namely, those books you're not reading. It's sophistry and it the same discourse could be held without leaving the boundaries of the canon, but it's undeniably true - if we choose to consider lliterature by quality and not by birth.
>>
File: amazon.png (228 KB, 1158x542) Image search: [Google]
amazon.png
228 KB, 1158x542
>>
>brief
>700 pages
>>
>>7536034
You know, I often felt like picking up Between the World and Me but I always relented, both because I'm not American AND because I've seen it denigrated in a few places - have you read it? Is it just a meme? Is there anything worthwhile in it?
>>
WE
WUS
SHITPOSTING
>>
>>7535525
My favorite book of last year. Made me read his other two, which were good as well. Cant wait for his low fantasy epic in fantasy Mali
>>
File: the-fishermen-chigozie-obioma.jpg (364 KB, 839x633) Image search: [Google]
the-fishermen-chigozie-obioma.jpg
364 KB, 839x633
>>7535640
>>7536034
Blacks have had a great year in lit. Notice tho that the the really good ones are nigerian and jamaican, and thus arent confined to the "american black struggle" meme
>>
>>7536395
Wait, is this a real thing?
>>
>>7536404
Yeah, if I recall correctly he said he wanted to write a book about vikings because vikings are cool.
>>
File: Untitled.png (547 KB, 837x532) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
547 KB, 837x532
>>7536404
Yes he is in the pre-writing research phase of a Robert Howardish multi volume subsaharan epic.

http://www.vulture.com/2015/12/marlon-jamess-new-book-will-be-an-african-got.html
>>
>>7536413
Fucking hell, I'm stoked. That's some great news.
>>
>>7536422
not even /pol/ can bring me down on him. Night Women was a fucking amazing book too, its like The Color Purple meets roots and the Confessions of Nat Turner mixed with American Horror story drenched in American Psycho levels of blood.
>>
>>7536005
>there's a couple of thousand years of white male lit
The epic of Gilgamesh is written by white people? Sappho was male?
>>
He said he never wants to be the guy who just writes for his race and sexual orientation, so he's going to write a Viking epic which is sick.
>>
>>7536778
I just read that he has a very hard time publishing because his books are basically unreadable by white females, and he feels pressure to pander to white women to get larger pay checks.
>>
>>7536413
holy shit that's sick bruv
>>
>>7536413
>As James puts it, "I realized how sick and tired I was of arguing about whether there should be a black hobbit in Lord of the Rings."
So do you think he's going to include white people in his fantasy story?
>>
>>7536845
As Orcs.
Orcs could be redeemed
>>
File: 1436269034888.png (84 KB, 245x316) Image search: [Google]
1436269034888.png
84 KB, 245x316
>>7536034
DELETE THIS
>>
>>7536845
He is usually somewhat sympathetic to whites in his books, not into monoliths. He says he recognizes how blacks are often criminals, sambos, or mary sues if written by bleeding hearts, and as a black author he doesnt want to write whites as a stereotype.
>>
>>7536717
>The epic of Gilgamesh is written by white people? Sappho was male?
The epic of Gilgamesh was written by Sumerians
Sappho was a woman
there's still a couple thousand years of white male lit
>>
>>7536426
>its like The Color Purple meets roots and the Confessions of Nat Turner mixed with American Horror story
and into the trash it goes
>>
>>7536938
I'll take your word for it. I just thought it would be amusing to ask, I'm not spoiling for some sort of pol-fight.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.