[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>A well written book of a boring premise is better than a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
>A well written book of a boring premise is better than a poorly written book of an interesting premise.
>>
>>7534075
Agreed. Let's go to reddit shall we?
>>
>>7534075
Of course this is an ambiguous situation you've described. How can a well written book be boring if you have any interest in the subject matter? It seems to me that a "well written book with a boring premise" is a book that surprises you with how many interesting things there are to observe about something you had previously thought was mundane.
>>
>>7534075
You obviously haven't read the martian.
>>
>>7534075
>implying that isn't true

Read In Search of Lost Time, a well-written book with a boring premise, and then read Rendezvous with Rama, a poorly written book with an interesting premise.
>>
What kind of book would Twilight be if James Joyce wrote it, and what kind of book would Ulysses be if Stephanie Meyer wrote it?
>>
>>7534075
Consider Lovecraft or Better yet Philip K. Dick

neither is a great writer
Lovecraft is honestly shit, but he's the kind of shit that suits his genre
Dick is above average but flawed? He seems more like he just soldiered his was into writing without talent, just hacked at it until it worked.

But the premises these guys dealt with

Lovecraft speaks for himself. How phenomenally influential his ideas were to the genre of horror. All he is are these ideas of vast horrible uncaring entities, and people just eat that shit up.

Dick was an idea machine. Not all good, but he churned enough of that of that stuff that some of it stuck. Then he wrote, and again, was incredibly influential to science fiction.

So while there's obviously some grey areas, and good books from both sides, I would take a badly written book with a great premise over the alternative.

>>7534075
>>7534119
regarding this guy OP, read rama first because ISoLT is fucking long

>>7534130
both would be indecipherable
>>
>>7534130
>What kind of book would Twilight be if James Joyce wrote it

Bella would have ended up with Jacob like she was supposed too.
>>
>>7534162
>so friendzoned
>>
>>7534075
But that's true though.
>>
>>7534182
>>
>>7534104
>>
>>7534135
I was just about to comment about phillip k dick, I'd rather read one of his books than a well-written book on a bland topic. With pkd you know it will be fresh food for though. I feel his style gets overlooked too, he does a good job of creating this cold impersonal world that his books are usually about
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.