[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>look into joining a book club in my area >they are reading
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 61K2brgIMrL[1].jpg (97 KB, 750x1170) Image search: [Google]
61K2brgIMrL[1].jpg
97 KB, 750x1170
>look into joining a book club in my area
>they are reading pic related, Wild by Cheryl Strayed
>read description and reviews
>about an adult woman (22) who unexpectedly loses her mother to cancer and then has a breakdown
>starts doing drugs and cheats on her husband with many strangers... because of the loss of her mother?
>decides that the only way to fix herself is by going on a long and difficult hike, although she is inexperienced and ill-prepared
>she gets help from other hikers (men) as well, and continues to cheat on her husband with these strangers
>recommended by Oprah
>4.5 stars on amazon with almost 12000 reviews
>3.9 rating on goodreads
has /lit/ read this book? the description and many reviews i've read say the book is bad. but it has such high ratings
>>
It's a woman book, that's for sure. Think Eat Pray Love with edge. It was a major motion picture a year ago, that's part of the reason it's so big.
>>
a lot of book clubs try to go for overly promoted books thinking that will keep the bad readers interested. It's not what you were looking for. Imagine someone who was trying to be a professional football player in HS, he changes his mind but goes to play with friends from the job just to get mad that they don't try as much as he does. Keep looking and don't get mad when people do their own thing.
>>
>>7533709
I've read it, disappointed by how much of it was her flash back drug use and self made fuckery of a life, when I picked it up for a cool travel/hiking book. She can be annoying as fuck at times, I found myself despising Cheryl as a person but enjoying her adventures on the trail (Except when she cheats on her husband.)

Still not bad, not exactly /lit/ tier, I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much as I did if I wasn't into hiking.
>>
>bookclubs

Book clubs are excuses for women to drink and gossip like their 20-year-old selves under the pretense of being a "reader". This is why they chose 1 sitting, pop culture books with no literary value. Don't ever waste your time like this. You're literally better off shitposting here on /lit/.
>>
>>7534746

Don't lie to yourself, anon. You enjoyed her adulterous adventures the most
>>
>>7533709
>In search of Chad's cock: Roastie's way
>>
she doesn't cheat on the trail itself in the movie. In fact they don't even explicitly say she's still married I think lol, when I watched it I thought it was her ex.
>>
>>7534821

Thank you for reassuring me that my memory isnt 100% shit. I haven't seen the whole thing, saw from some point where she is already on the trail, and didn't remember anything that would've indicated she was married.

Still seemed like a pretty shit movie. From what I saw, The Way was a much better movie involving hiking a long trail, and that movie wasn't very good.
>>
>>7534850
yeah they seriously don't. She just phones this guy a couple times or something, and he seems concerned with her well-being but it doesn't become obvious she is married. Didn't know it till I saw this thread.

I guess they wanted to change the plot from "cheating whore abandons husbands to cheat more" to "strong independent women finds herself after she made mistakes due to tragic loss of mother".
>>
>>7534873
>wanted to change the plot

as if directors and scriptwriters actually read the books they're reproducing.
besides, if anyone wants to read a book with a cheating whore, Anna Karenina is perfect.
>>
>Reading female authors
Don't get your hopes up too much.
>>
>>7533709
>Why can't I stop being such a slut?: The book, by some random bitch
At least it's something that most women can relate to.
>>
>try to stop jumping on every random cock you encounter
>have to literally separate yourself 1000s of miles from society
>fail
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.