[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's in the title
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
It's in the title
>>
File: kerouac.jpg (20 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
kerouac.jpg
20 KB, 620x349
>>7532857
new sincerity avant la lettre

not the best writer but a lot of passion and enthusiasm and he gets it across well, both the happy and the sad parts. big sur is a legitimately great novel.

top lad
>>
>>7532876
the only thing I know about Big Sur is the following quote:

“I have tonight begun reading a stupid, shitty book by Kerouac called Big Sur, and I would give a ball to wake up tomorrow on some empty ridge with a herd of beatniks grazing in the clearing about 200 yards below the house. And then to squat with the big boomer and feel it on my shoulder with the smell of grease and powder and, later, a little blood.”

~Hunter s thompson
>>
>>7533233
Words of a jealous narcissist to be honest. Thompson is a meme writer compared to Kerouac.
>>
>>7533318
>gonzo journalism meme master vs beat generation meme master

Neither even truly invented their meme, they only adopted it.
>>
>>7533516
what? hunter completely loved the concept of gonzo while kerouac was sick of those damn kids breaking into his mom's house to party.
>>
>>7533516
They both made the memes their own to be honest, but HST is a resentful narcissist bitch like his hero Hemingway.
>>
>>7532857
Good prose
Enjoyable stories
Fun ideas
Catholic
Could shit out better material than most of his contemporaries
Cool guy

I like him.
>>
File: RelativelyTruthful.png (5 KB, 148x50) Image search: [Google]
RelativelyTruthful.png
5 KB, 148x50
>>7534163
>catholic
dropped
>>
>>7534956
>not liking confessional lit

plebbed
>>
>>7534163
I read 'on the road' and thought the characters were deplorable, the writing(stream of consciousness) was not to my liking, plus some of his descriptions were very blunt and boring. Also i dont know why i felt they need to tell you what i thought or why you would care.
>>
Kerouac aims to capture the blind idealism of youth and he does it fantastically.

The key thing to remember here is "blind" idealism of youth. He would idealise fucking anything, and his later books are the slow realisation that maybe you should do some fucking quality control on what you romanticise the shit out of.

His progression from young dreamer to jaded conservative is by far the most interesting thing about his work, but his early "Woo, hittin the road with my buds again" stuff is a lot of fun even if it isn't very interesting.
>>
>>7532857
He was a manlet?
Dropped immediately.
>>
Kerouac greatly admired this novel [Ulysses], and claims that it not only inspired his own classic, On the Road, but that his book was so similar it deserved the same sort of respect: “On the Road is inspired in its entirely…. I can tell now as I look back on the flood of language. It is like Ulysses and should be treated with the same gravity.”
>>
>>7535688
that's bullshit

He did he crank out the first organized draft of OTR in 3 weeks, though, which is pretty impressive.

He was a good writer. Very well read. Poetry is also comfy af.
>>
>>7535645
0/10 post
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.