[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i'm about 450 pages into this bastard and still haven't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: brothers k.png (19 KB, 378x594) Image search: [Google]
brothers k.png
19 KB, 378x594
i'm about 450 pages into this bastard and still haven't achieved enlightenment. on what page do the heavens open up and the face of god reveals itself to me?
>>
>>7532483

The next page.
>>
>>7532483
>the brothers brothers brothers karamazov brothers

what the fuck
>>
>>7532496
these new artsy/ minimal covers are shite
aside from the camus covers those do a good job of telling the reader what to expect
>>
>>7532483
did you have a priest bless yourself and the book with holy water before starting?
>>
>>7532483
You wont become a christian by reading TBK, all you can hope is to get an intuition of how fragile our intelect is and how powerful love is If you are interested in christianity i recommend you to read to bible
>>
>>7532523

nah i'm not trying to become converted, but zosima's little autobiography was really powerful. i guess i'm just not feeling like the input was worth it after 450 pages, there have been small moments of brilliance but this whole plotline with Gruschenka is extremely laborious and doesn't capture me at all. i have every intention to finish it but feeling a little disillusioned after the first half. how can i reorient my reading?
>>
>>7532536
I dont know anon But when the trial chapters started i got really hooked Try reading more about dostoevsky ideas, it sure helped me apreciate a lot more his work
>>
>>7532550
>I dont know anon But when the trial chapters started i got really hooked Try reading more about dostoevsky ideas, it sure helped me apreciate a lot more his work

just got to where ivan is arrested actually, so that's good to hear. i really want to like this book god damnit!
>>
>>7532483

You're supposed to Tolstoy for enlightenment.
>>
>>7532536
The book is written for Orthodox Christians, or at least those who are very familiar with Orthodox Christian theology. You probably will most much of the substance otherwise. If you aren't Orthodox, reading the Philokalia first is advisable. You will probably appreciate Dostoevsky's not explicitly Christian work (though still very much inspired by Orthodox thought) more, like Notes from Underground.

>>7532523
From the Christian perspective, the old covenant has to be understood through the lens of the new one, so you kind of have to read it in reverse order to grasp the Christian perspective.
>>
>>7532483
>he fell for the dostoevsky meme
>>
>>7532483
I feel the enjoyment you get from the book slowly escalates as the ideas and characters bounce off each other throughout the whole book
>>
>>7532564
>From the Christian perspective, the old covenant has to be understood through the lens of the new one, so you kind of have to read it in reverse order to grasp the Christian perspective.

i've found all of the religious aspects to be the most intriguing so far, actually. thanks for the recommendation, i'll pick that up and read it a little more. definitely would like to get a deeper sense of the novel on the religious sense. but yes it is actually all of the other shit that i feel is not much more than tedium (the various love affairs, the hundreds of instances of money lending, the subplot with dmitri and the publicly shamed captian, etc) don't really do anything for me -- but i think that's just because i don't know what to make of them.
>>
>>7532650
You might also want to take a look at St. Isaac the Syrian, he's actually mentioned in the book, and was very influential on Dostoevsky's thought, seeing as how he was a big proponent of universal reconciliation and all that jazz.
>>
>>7532673
>You might also want to take a look at St. Isaac the Syrian, he's actually mentioned in the book, and was very influential on Dostoevsky's thought, seeing as how he was a big proponent of universal reconciliation and all that jazz.

cool man. thanks
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.