[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some literary easter eggs? By easter eggs in this sense
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: ernesto-che-guevara-24.jpg (193 KB, 850x644) Image search: [Google]
ernesto-che-guevara-24.jpg
193 KB, 850x644
What are some literary easter eggs? By easter eggs in this sense i just mean references to literary characters and works that caught you by surprise. Like Thoreau's Walden cabin in Fallout 4. Stuff like that
>>
Augustus in The Aeneid

Wtf
>>
>>7531433

Rousseau mentions something from Thucydides without mentioning his name in the confessions.
>>
...that's called an allusion.
>>
>>7531433
Carefully crafted b8 thread. 7/10
>>
>>7531440
Kinda makes sense since Aeneas met Augustus in the underworld where Ascanius was showing him all the great Romans that would come to be. Virgil also wrote this for the emperor so he probably wanted to pick up some brownie points as well.
>>
>>7531494
not sure how this is bait mate. I guess it sounds kinda reddity but i was just genuinely interested. Like the pic of ol' Che up there enjoying Goethe. Stuff like that is interesting
>>
In Faust I, in the Walpurgisnacht, there's a character with the name of "Proktophantasmist" - procto, anus, phantasmist, someone who fakes tales

That is an allusion to Friedrich Nicolai, a big critic of Goethe's work and of course hated by Goethe.

Nicolai had hallucinations featuring ghosts and he cured the hallucinations with leeches to the butt, something which he enthusiastically recommended to the public. Thus the character.
>>
The game Castlevania Symphony of the Night has a whole bunch of swords from mythology and fantasy but the one that really took me by surprise was Terminus Est being in there.
>>
>>7531664
Also Book of the New Sun had a few fun ones at the start, like the blind librarian being Borges and the torturers having the machine from Kafkas Penal Colony in their basement.
>>
The Baudelaire, Plato and Invisible Cities in Space Funeral.
>>
Inside Llewyn Davis (Coen Bros)

There's a line in that movie lifted verbatim from Michael Chabon's "Yiddish Policeman's Union," which they were adapting for the screen a while back (project has since gone under).

Somehow, no one seems to have noticed, but I caught it because I happened to be reading YPU at the time.
>>
>>7531733
What was the line?
>>
>>7531500
That's the joke m8

Realistically I thought Ben Franklin in Mason & Dixon was hysterical but that wasn't really an 'Easter egg'
>>
File: 1.jpg (197 KB, 1440x1023) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
197 KB, 1440x1023
Lain has a reference to Proust's Swann's Way when her dad says "I will bring madeleines next time. They will taste good with the tea"
>>
>>7531433

Neo in the Matrix hides a disc in a copy of Simulacra and Simulation.
>>
>>7532579
"The future? You mean like flying cars? Hotels on the moon? ... Tang?"
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.