[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This has been me for the last 3 months. I have a deadline of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: giphy.gif (1 MB, 700x291) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
1 MB, 700x291
This has been me for the last 3 months. I have a deadline of 12 months to write another novel and have it ready to send out to my publisher, but I'm completely out of ideas.

What do you guys do to help you get through writer's block?

I've always written for fun, now that it's a career I can't seem to get started
>>
>hike across united states for 11 months
>have one month left to finish novel
>???
>profit
>>
Neil Gaiman suggests writing a short story after each novel to refresh the palatte, so to speak.
Don't you have notebooks full of little ideas you've jotted down over the years? Go through that and find something fun to write about.
>>
>>7530873
This

Write a short story about anything and everything that strikes your fancy. You will have more short stories than you can turn to novels.
>>
>What do you guys do to help you get through writer's block?

Read. Then read some more. Whenever I'm dry, reading something good inevitably triggers a reaction or an idea that the material suggested without actually exploring.
>>
>>7530863

Write a story about a young Roman that converts to Christianity to marry this girl she likes, he starts actually believing later and then they get tortured and are told to recant. They both end up not believing any more after their ordeals but don't want to dissappoint the other and so willingly die for a religion they don't believe.

Or write a story about something vaguely autobiographical and just twist as you like.
>>
not forcing it helps, interact with people and try new things
>>
I am the complete opposite.
I can't seem to write unless I have a hard deadline. Having a vague idea handed to me (hell, even a topic) also helps.

Am I doomed?
>>
>>7531249
a lot of people, like are
>I can't seem to [DO THING] unless I have a hard deadline

Through freedom, unfiltered actions never take the effort to strike a shape.
>>
>>7531221
Fuck off normie

Also OP nobody wants to read your books.
>>
Your head is too big for your body

Have any writer friends? Go out for drinks with them or something
>>
Try to turn your experience with writer's block or at least what you perceive to be the root of it into good material for your fiction.
>>
File: 1430693312794.jpg (60 KB, 900x624) Image search: [Google]
1430693312794.jpg
60 KB, 900x624
There is no writer's block. If you don't want to write, learn to fix transmissions or how to do electrical wiring at construction sites, you precious little bitch.

This is, by the way, the best advice most aspiring writers could ever hear.
>>
>>7532541
Honoré died of caffeine overdose.
>>
Take 1000 mics of LSD
>>
>>7532556
He also died as, if not one of the greatest, one of the most successful and influential writers in the history of Western literature

Also saying Balzac died of caffeine overdose has about the same emotional impact as Steven Irwin dying of an exotic animal or PSH ODing on heroine.

Everybody dies eventually and there's a pretty good chance it'll be of what you spend most your time doing.

I'd rather be dead at 40 from doing what I love than alive at 140 in a safety padded room eating pre-digested multivitamin
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.