[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
rank 'em
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: slide_17.jpg (86 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
slide_17.jpg
86 KB, 960x720
rank 'em
>>
>>7529773
Wordsworth>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Everyone Else>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Byron
>>
Do you think his name being Wordsworth had anything to do with his becoming a poet?
>>
Can death be sleep, when life is but a dream,
And scenes of bliss pass as a phantom by?
The transient pleasures as a vision seem,
And yet we think the greatest pain's to die.

How strange it is that man on earth should roam,
And lead a life of woe, but not forsake
His rugged path; nor dare he view alone
His future doom which is but to awake.

what did he mean by this?
>>
File: 12015-Victor-Hugo.jpg (30 KB, 336x280) Image search: [Google]
12015-Victor-Hugo.jpg
30 KB, 336x280
>>7529773
>this is what anglos actually believe
>>
>>7529787
more like turdsworth
>>
Firstly, ranking poets is a bit juvenile.

Secondly,
Byron > Wordsworth = Coleridge > Blake > Keats

Don't know where to put Shelley. His best work is godly but his poor work is exceptionally poor.
>>
1. Keats
2. Wordsworth
3. Shelley
4. Blake
5. Byron
6. Coleridge
>>
File: von Hardenberg.jpg (38 KB, 360x440) Image search: [Google]
von Hardenberg.jpg
38 KB, 360x440
>>7529800
this is what frog plebs actually believe
>>
>>7529773
Wordsworth is last because Wordsworth editions look fucking terrible.
>>
Keats is the beast.
>>
I FUCKIN LOVE SAMMY T COLE BABY
>>
Byron>Blake>Wordsworth = Coleridge>Shelley>Keats
>>
>Romantic ideology
literally the worst ideology that corrupted western culture beyond repair
>>
Dickinson > Wordsworth > Blake > Whitman > Burns > Keats > Coleridge > Byron > Shelley
>>
Shelley
Keats
Blake

I haven't really read the rest of them so I don't know about the other three.
>>
>>7529795
tl;dr Keats is enamored with life and death and afterlife but is also busy pooping all over both the revelations and the enlightenment
>>
>there are people who puts keats last

further proof /lit/ doesn't understand poetry
>>
Keats
Blake
Shelley
Byron
Wordsworth
Coleridge
>>
>>7529773
Sincerely I wonder why I hardly ever, if at all, see any mention of Poe in threads dedicated to poetry. At the risk of being ridiculed for adoring a man whose works are unreasonably assigned to high school students who are likely more attracted to the man for his image than for his works, I am revealing my intense adoration for him. His short stories are fascinating and The Raven is undoubtedly my favorite poem. I find the language he uses to be expressive and colorful beyond what I have seen with other poets and my fondness has developed from there. I am curious what you all think of Poe and would appreciate recommendations from those of you who find your preference elsewhere.
>>
burns
>>
>>7530687
Heine
>>
File: Lamartine.jpg (123 KB, 1082x1396) Image search: [Google]
Lamartine.jpg
123 KB, 1082x1396
>>7529835
>German poetry
>>
>>7529841
That really is shitty legacy to have
>>
File: charlotte-smith.jpg (42 KB, 448x293) Image search: [Google]
charlotte-smith.jpg
42 KB, 448x293
Wordsworth > Coleridge = Blake > Keats > Smith > Shelley > Byron
>>
>>7530676
Whitman. Even Emerson is a better poet than Poe. But then, really, it's fine you like Poe.

You should also try Wallace Stevens if you want to keep it American.
>>
Even Byron would rank Byron last.
>>
Fun fact: romanticism didn't happen only in Britain
>>
>>7531033
>Fun fact: romanticism didn't happen only in Britain
yes it did
>>
>>7531033
At least they don't try to include poets they haven't read, that pretty nice
>>
>>7531033
The only ones worth reading were English
>>
1. Holderlin
2. Schlegels
3. Novalis
4. Heine
5. Kleist
6. Blake
>>
>>7530676
I don't know much about theory or literary criticism, but I'm not completely ignorant about poetry (at least, I've read the complete works of all the poets in the OP).

I agree that Poe is an underrated poet, even outside of /lit/. With a few exceptions, I don't really care for his short stories, so I was surprised when I read his poetry and loved it. The quality of many of his poems has perhaps been obscured by his more famous stories, and of course the whole Edgar Allan Poe myth-making.
Aldous Huxley criticised Poe for being "too poetical", which is exactly the reason I like his poetry. It's like every poem he wrote is a Kubla Khan (not a bad thing for my money).

My favourite of his poems is Dream-Land, "one of Poe's finest creations" as one of his biographers opined.

>https://youtu.be/UwlPS6GNiUU
>>
>>7531260
>I can't read any other language and poetry translations remove most of the art
fixed that for you
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.