[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Nick gay? I read an article recently that claimed Nick Carraway
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: maxresdefault.jpg (118 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
118 KB, 1280x960
Was Nick gay?

I read an article recently that claimed Nick Carraway is gay and in love with Gatsby. This is what makes him so unreliable as a narrator. We don't know if Nick admires Gatsby because of his character, his rags to riches story, or because he just wants to get in his expensive suit pants.

There's a multitude of supporting evidence that backs up this theory. The way he describes the characters. When he sees Tom in the beginning of the book, he describes him as a beast of a man with a cruel body. He barely casts Jordan a second glance after lazily describing her.

And who could forget the part where Nick wakes up in the bedroom of Mr. McKee while the photographer is under the sheets in his underwear looking at his past work? Is Fitzgerald just fucking with us? What do you think?

Fitzgerald appreciation thread in general.
Pic related; my favorite book.
>>
>>7529473
Can't tell if you're baiting or not. If not, please link the article.
>>
I didn't know there were people who thought he was straight...
>>
Daily reminder that Proust was a gay woman Homer
>>
>>7529529
http://www.salon.com/2013/01/09/was_nick_carraway_gay/
>>
faggots want everything on earth to be as sterile as they are
>>
>>7529561
What do you mean?
>>
>>7529561
Yea, explain.
>>
File: Killme.jpg (106 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
Killme.jpg
106 KB, 1024x683
>>7529542
Jesus, the comments on this article are more retarded than usual shitposting I've come across. I haven't shuddered this hard in a long while.
>>
>>7529570
he's quite obviously talking about how gay people always project their preferences onto things.
>>
>>7529597
I agree, but the article itself.
>>
>>7529473
He could be, but I always took him as more of a stand-in for ol' Fitzywitzy himself, being grossly intrigued by the roaring 20s going by around him. Maybe the descriptions of women are so sparse because he was all up in Zelda's hootch.
>>
>>7529608
He definitely did it intentionally.
>>
>>7529605
I think that the author is imagining a correlation that doesn't really exist. The fact of Nick Caraway being gay doesn't aid in the overall message of the novel and would detract from it, really. Fitzgerald was a far more competent writer than that and if he did include it in his work, it would just side track from any other meaning or theme present to begin with.
>>
File: Jealous.jpg (554 KB, 720x1080) Image search: [Google]
Jealous.jpg
554 KB, 720x1080
>>7529608
Yeah, but honestly who wouldn't want to be up in Zelda's hootch?
>>
>>7529473
There's some pretty coded homoerotic stuff going on with him and the painter who he recalls through lapses in his memory as being in their underwear and the guy cleaning white shaving cream off of his face.
>>
fuck the guy who wrote this, everyone should catch this easily on the first read
>>
>>7529473
>>7529473
I think your example with body descriptions works against the theory that Nick is gay. Heterosexual men always size each other up, while their descriptions of their sexual conquests rarely go beyond "hot or not" type qualifications. I'd say Nick's descriptions of Jordan are perfectly hetero, as is his awe of Tom's strength. Take a walk through a locker room at a Gold's if you don't believe me.
>>
>>7529542
Isn't salon.com the same website that defended pedophiles?
>>
"Was X gay?" is the typical gist of an article on any literary work for which there's a lot of critical literature, and the author does not know what to write.
>>
>>7530484
>he/she doesn't defend lolita lovers
>reddblr
>>
It's literally irrelevant to the story whether he was gay or not.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.