[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So i've decided to get into Hamsun. Mainly because i'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: hamsun-ung.jpg (61 KB, 501x680) Image search: [Google]
hamsun-ung.jpg
61 KB, 501x680
So i've decided to get into Hamsun. Mainly because i'm from Norway and he is probably the greatest autor this country has ever produced. Couple of questions.
I've decided to start with Hunger/Sult because it seems like the most popular of his novels, and would be the easiest one to discus on here. What other works of his would you recommend to read after finishing Hunger. I'll try to get through as much of his bibliography as possible (unless i hate what i read of course).
I also wonder how much value is lost with getting an English translation. 100% of the books i've read the last 3-4 years have been in English, and i find it a little bit awkward to read in Norwegian for some reason. Would it be totally retarded for me to read his works in English instead of the original language? Also, what are the best translation of Hunger and his other works?
Thanks
>>
I can only give you one advice, if you know the native language of the book, read it in the language it was written, ALLWAYS.
>>
>>7528735
How do you know hes the greatest if youve never read him ^_^
>>
The norwegian language has changed a lot through times, and Hamsuns language might feel a little hard to read in Norwegian, especially compared to the modern norwegian today, it has a certain danish feel to it. But I really recommend readibg it in the original, its worth the effort. He is the first author I read where I felt norwegian literature can be truly great and beautiful. Read Markens Grode after Sult.
>>
>>7528777
>allways

Come on.
>>
>>7528735

>Would it be totally retarded for me to read his works in English instead of the original language?

Yes.

I hear Markens Grode/Growth of the Soil is very good, and have been meaning to add it to my backlog.
>>
>>7528789
by what i've read/heard about him, he is the most internationally acclaimed Norwegian autor is what i ment by "probably the greatest". Haven't really read any Norwegian autors except when i was a kid/teen.
>>
>>7528836
Not really related to your questions, but I just read Agnar Mykle's 'Lasso rundt fru Luna'. Great book, can really recommend it if you're looking for other norwegian authors. I think his major work: 'Lasso rundt fru Luna' and 'Sangen om den Rode Rubin', are most rewarding if you're male and in your early twenties though.
>>
>>7528909
well, im both male and in my early twenties (big suprise), so i'll check him out. Thanks for the advise!
>>
>>7528735
I'll tell you, I've read Growth of the Soil; it's well written, particularly his ability to set a tone to the scenes.
Unfortunately the story is extremely dull and pedestrian.
Furthermore the characters are extremely flat--though they are certainly dynamic--and uninspiring.
>>
read it in norwegian you disgusting anglophile
>>
Hunger-Robert Bly
Mysteries-Gerry Bothmer
Pan-James MacFarlane
Victoria-Oliver Stallybrass

do NOT read the penguin classics translation
>>
Les han på norsk faen.
>>
>>7528735
>he is probably the greatest autor this country has ever produced
Nei.
>i find it a little bit awkward to read in Norwegian for some reason
Jævla hanrei, begå selvmord snarest.
>>
>>7528735
Hunger > Growth of the Soil > Mysteries > Pan > Victoria
I think it would be a mistake not to read his work in Norwegian.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.