[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how come all tv shows make fun of patrician book readers like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7
File: Kramskoy_Portrait_of_a_Woman.jpg (856 KB, 1500x1168) Image search: [Google]
Kramskoy_Portrait_of_a_Woman.jpg
856 KB, 1500x1168
how come all tv shows make fun of patrician book readers like lit is a joke
>>
>tfw no aristocrat russian gf
>>
Because they want their viewers to stay viewers and not become readers. TV viewers are dumber and easier to manipulate, therefore worth a lot more money.
>>
>>7528449
hmm. illuminati confirmed?
>>
>>7528606
Yes
>>
I woudln't know as I don't watch TV, OP.
>>
what shows do this?
>>
>>7528441
Because literature "is not a legitimate hobby", it's just a time waster for the snobs. People somehow assume that if you can read then you are on the same level as someone who indulges in Hegel (i.e. an insufferable faggot, but that's besides the point).
>>
>>7528626
dont you fucking dare reply to me again if your not going to contribute to the thread
>>
>all tv shows

But Deep Space Nine made constant literature references.
>>
>>7528641
Here's your reply.
>>
>>7528441
That is one smug looking woman.
>>
>>7528634
Hegel was a genius.

>>7528652
I watn her to fuck me in the ass with her enormous penis.
>>
>he actually watches TV
>>
OP please stop watching Two Broke Girls and USA dramas
>>
File: tumblr_n0n5a0s3lY1tre84mo1_500.png (280 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n0n5a0s3lY1tre84mo1_500.png
280 KB, 500x376
>>7528671
Yeah, OP should watch the Gilmore Girls instead, where one of the main characters is a patrician teen.

<--- Pic of her reading Ulysses by James Joyce, meaning she's Patrician.
>>
File: 090313-ulysses.jpg (77 KB, 500x277) Image search: [Google]
090313-ulysses.jpg
77 KB, 500x277
>>7528689
Someone should make a compilation of TV characters shown reading Ulysses in order to portray the character as smart
>>
>>7528694
Rory was patrician, Lost named all their characters after philosophers.

Mad Men, The Wire, Deadwood all created by literary men.

OP is a simp trying to prop himself above mainstream culture by pretending his hobby is under attack by some philistine army
>>
>>7528711
All of those shows are middlebrow shit thoguh
>>
File: The Great Shows.jpg (87 KB, 494x698) Image search: [Google]
The Great Shows.jpg
87 KB, 494x698
Watch these if you want to see what actual Patrician Television looks like
>>
>>7528715
Do serialised TV shows ever rise past middlebow? I'm struggling to think of examples that do.
>>
>>7528729

The Wire is the greatest work of American literature of the last 100 years.
>>
>>7528737
Not rly
>>
>>7528711
Some of the best characters in Lost are named after philosophers, in fact (John Locke, Desmond Hume). All of the other characters are boring or annoying (except Ben, who is also one of the best characters).
>>
Patricians make fun of plebs, too.
>>
>>7528606
all jokes aside, he's right
>>
You can see lots of books in Lost, many of which are related to the show's plot.
>>
In Lost there's a badass-ish character who is always reading.
>based Sawyer reading superior The Fountainhead rather than pleb Atlas Shrugged
>>
>>7528820
Locke is the most annoying and useless character in Lost. He is never right, but always thinks he is.
>>
>>7528689
>Joyce's
>'
>>
>>7530057
He's an edgelord faggot
>>
>>7530067
Well all of the characters are shit because the show is a poorly-written piece of crap action movie/soap opera, but Locke at least has some vaguely interesting motivations, and the actor's great (all of the characters are carried 99% by the actors).
>>
>>7528725
>Bergman
>patrician

smdh
>>
>>7530100
What's wrong with Bergman?
>>
File: 1448756191003.jpg (332 KB, 2000x2724) Image search: [Google]
1448756191003.jpg
332 KB, 2000x2724
>>7528443
I had one for a while (while "upper class"). Christ I miss Anastasia, fun times
>>
>>7530276
well*
>>
>>7530276
>AB
Oh shit.. I didn't know Anthony Bourdain was such a talented artist
>>
because tv writers are plebs
>>
>>7530100
>Not having watched anything made by Bergman
>>
>>7528443
The only girlfriend I've ever had was the heiress of an age-old fortune. She was Tuscan nobility, I think her great-great-great grandfather was a count of some sort. We were both 18, and had kinda known each other for a couple years before that. She had plenty of mental problems, was an alcoholic, opiate addict, and was so clingy that I had to change my phone after we broke up.

She went to the girl's school that we had dances with during boarding school, I met her there, and she ended up going to the same college as me. She wasn't that conventionally attractive, although she certainly wasn't ugly, and her body was really nice. I never even fucked her, I could only convince her to suck my dick. Never met her father either. If I didn't dump her, I might have been able to go back with her family (on their jet) and spend some time on their villa in the Italian countryside.

She was pretty cool interests-wise I guess, she dug good music and was really into art, even was the patron of a few local galleries.

It's too bad things didn't work out. I sometimes (read: very often) think about her and what could have been.
>>
File: 1443368554615.png (440 KB, 1536x1636) Image search: [Google]
1443368554615.png
440 KB, 1536x1636
>>
>>7530352
Is smiling scientifically like shrugging jewishly?
>>
>>7528737
The Wire isn't even better than The Sopranos baka senpai
>>
>>7530282
>>7530276
>http://www.andrewbrady.biz/index2.html
this guy bores me
>>
>>7530343
Damn, that's a good one.

Had a similar experience with a Korean heiress. No plastic surgery but hot, super smart, and chaste, but I was going through a fedora phase and decided I couldn't be bothered to put up with her Christianity. I'm a fucking idiot.
>>
>>7530397
Good for you, actually. Koreans can go to Hell.
>>
>>7530381
Obviously.
>>
>>7530385
I like it more.
>>
>>7530400
>Koreans can go to hell
Are you an angry Japanese grandpa?
>>
>>7530397
my gott

>hot
>super smart
>chaste
>christian
>Korean

I would give my left nut for a girl like that. My Tuscan claim to fame was the definition of damaged goods, with the strange exception of being a virgin.

Give her a call, anon, maybe she'll let you take her out. If not, give me her number, for christ's sake.
>>
>>7530219
>>7530219
If you compare them to Brakhage, you'll realize Kubrick and Bergman are not real artists but humdrum purveyors of glorified comic-book schlock
>unironically watching narrative non-experimental film
>>
>>7530438
Oh she's a virgin, but largely because she's wigged out by creepy Korean men molesting her when she was younger, and has anxiety issues, so not flawless.

My friends aren't sure where she is and she doesn't respond to their emails, but I'm gonna send her a second one anyway.
>>
>>7530454

Brakhage is middlebrow trash that solely exists to appease the masses. Michael Snow is a true filmmaker
>>
>>7530454
There's nothing wrong with any of those guys, in my onpinion.
>>
>>7530473
Michael Snow is middlebrow trash that solely exists to appease the masses. Courant is a true filmmaker.
>>
>>7530352
I don't really know much about the US collegiate experience, especially at higher colleges, but is the whole stereotype of "certificates chasing, worldly promotion" true? Or at least true enough for a philosophy majors? This is supposition, but it seems that education is good at teaching how to be very good at philosophy but not very good at -being- philosophy i.e. embodying the search for truth and meaning like their ancestors did.
>>
>>7530512
Depends on the person. I went to an elite American university and it was a mixed bag. A philosophy class could have super-serious kids who wanted to investigate at all costs and were bound to become either bums or professors right next to the ones who were just there because they'd heard it might help with law school.

We need lawyers and we need philosophers so I can't work up much outrage about it.
>>
>>7530521
Do you think peers would have been more passionate if the admission process was like Cambridge, where a little bit of background in philosophy and logic was required for admission? Not from the UK, but I hear that prospects are given a logic test and are interviewed on basic philosophical problems before admission.
>>
>>7530564
I dunno. Most people were very engaged with the classes, so even though they weren't trying to become philosophers they contributed plenty. The American approach lets people from all sorts of backgrounds and perspectives show up in classes where you don't expect them, which often lead to really interesting takes on things. Philosophy of Science and similar courses could get intense for that reason even though most people were premed and pre law.
>>
>>7530579
I see. So would an accurate amendment to the idea proposed in >>7530512 be that most US students are not philosophers, or desire to be one, but view philosophy as an interesting supplement to other vocations and methods of thinking? I think this is a infinitely more plausible theory than the one I had before.
Sorry if this seems pedantic, but I was too schizoid to be really proactive about school outside of academics. Naturally this barred me from most colleges, but I was also curious to see what it's like.
>>
>>7530626
Are most philosophy students *anywhere* "being" philosophy like you've described? A few will become academic philosophers genuinely searching for truth, a few will become academic philosophers looking for some sort of recognition, fame, etc..., more are just doing it because it's easy for law school, some are doing it because it helps supplement other vocations like you've said, and some are just taking it to help with their vocations, and to just help them navigate difficult decisions in life (related to work and their personal lives) even if their profession of choice isn't necessarily philosophical. My guess is that if anybody is the truth seeker you're describing, it's the first person on the list I've described. How many students, at Cambridge, in the Ivies, and elsewhere taking philosophy are simply philosophizing? Not many.
>>
>>7530626
Yeah there's a lot of that and I think it's a good thing. Brings in new blood instead of having the same autists in every Phil class.
>>
>>7530652
Yes, this is the sort of answer i was getting at. Looking at some uni websites for philosophy like Harvard and UNC, they seem to answer the question of 'Why Study Philosophy' with employment and external answers rather than answering philosophy has an intrinsic value. I'm glad to see that while philosophy will have derivative value to most college students, some see it as intrinsic value. Not that's anything egregious about derivative value, but I think intrinsic value is more important.
>How many students, at Cambridge, in the Ivies, and elsewhere taking philosophy are simply philosophizing? Not many
Now why is this? Is it because the 'philosophy-embodier' (a shoddy term, I know) is so uncommon and rare that he will always be a minority, or is that even the highest level university cannot attract, or even is not the place for, the 'philosophy-embodier"?
>>
>>7528689
That's actually not Ulysses. It's a critical explication of Ulysses. The prop department FUCKED UP.
>>
>>7530692
Wiat a minute.. does that make her MORE patrician, or less so? I'm honestly not even sure....
>>
>>7530692
Stuart Gilbert's "James Joyce's Ulysses: A Study," it appears. Good eye. Perhaps that is so because she has already read Ulysses or is reading them concurrently, you silly goose.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.