[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come /lit/ never talks about Proust?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3
File: il_340x270.423482900_1u7z.jpg (35 KB, 340x270) Image search: [Google]
il_340x270.423482900_1u7z.jpg
35 KB, 340x270
How come /lit/ never talks about Proust?
>>
they don't have the attention span to get past combray

and proust isnt very conducive to meme discussion
>>
>>7527181
He masturbated to dead rats when he was a child. He's not altogether unconducive.
>>
/lit/ doesn't actually read.

i attempted the moncrieff translation several times and found it exhausting. i just started the davis and it's a world of difference.
>>
>>7527185
Oh, wait, he was a full-blown adult:

>Proust would enter a brothel and ask the Madam if she had a hat pin and any rats. If the Madam informed him that she had both, or could obtain them, Proust would then request that the pin and vermin be sent up to his room. Once Proust was in his room and comfortable, a rat would be brought in by the Madam, in a makeshift cage, along with, preferably, a pearl-headed hair pin. Proust would then instruct the Madam to puncture the rat from its back through its belly with the hair pin. As the pin slowly went through the rat, Proust would masturbate; timing his ejaculation to occur at the exact moment the tip of the pin pierced the rat’s belly, so that its blood and his semen fell in time.
>>
>>7527189

meh

arse full of farts doesnt even rate as a meme anymore
>>
>>7527187
I prefer Moncrieff Tbh, but it is difficult in parts.
>>
>>7527189
This is fake
>>
>>7527189
based af
>Proust liked to achieve orgasm, it has been claimed, by having caged rats set upon each other (which was apparently the kind of thing you could get people to do for you in Parisian brothels, certainly if you were in receipt, as Proust was, of the equivalent of about £10,000 private income per month). "The two starving beasts would attack each other, making piercing squeaks as they clawed and bit each other," explains Carter.
>>
/lit/ doesn't talk about anyone really.

Just shitposting about the meme authors and whoevers the FOTM philosopher (even this has died down now that /his/ exists).
>>
>>7527189
Christ, academia really is just a bunch of degenerates.
>muh lolita
>muh proust
>>
“We assume we know what things mean and what people think for the simple reason that we do not really care. But as soon as we have a real desire to know, as the jealous man has, we are faced with a dizzy kaleidoscope in which we can make out nothing.”
>>
>>7527300
proust wasn't an academic faggot
>>
>>7527219
proofs?
>>
>>7527171
I can only speak for myself, but I still haven't read any of his work because ISOLT is 4000 pages long and I would feel bad starting it without meaning to finish it.
>>
>>7527323
you will never succeed in life.
>>
>>7527325
bit harsh honestly.
>>
>>7527362
love is harsh
>>
Combray>the name>un amour de swann
>>
I'm not convinced he was a good writer.
>>
>>7527171
I wish it would, some passages are simply breathtaking
>>
>>7527323
why not start with swanns way and then see if you want to keep reading.
>>
Reading swanns way atm, got to p230 so far. I hate and love this book, some passages are truly amazing, they just keep flowing and flowing. But some of it is just to hard to swallow, and I keep asking myself, is this sentence just bad or am I not ''getting'' it , whatever that may mean.
>>
>>7527171
>How come /lit/ never talks about [insert book /lit/ definitely talks about sometimes but doesn't relentlessly, mindlessly shitpost about and hasn't turned said book into unfunny, jejune memes]

this the new meme template? I see it a lot
>>
>>7527413
>is this sentence just bad or am I not ''getting'' it
It's you. Or the translation I dunno.
>>
>>7527457
Well, i think there are just a lot of experiences that he had that I never experienced, or that the words he uses are not the way I ever thought about them. Sure this is appealing, and you can learn a bunch, but some bits just feel to abstract to ever comprehend, unless your Proust himself. Any one can confirm this? Normally I'm a big fan of inner dialog, but for some reason his doesn't really do it for me. The parts about his external world are more interesting to me, or maby just easier to comprehend. Reading dutch translation.
>>
>>7527189
This is just a rumor.
>>
>>7527189
is this real
>>
>>7527189
Why are boys so weird? Like seriously, do you seriously think you're the superior sex after reading stuff like this?
>>
>>7527873
yeah i know right i'm glad i'm not like the other boys so what's your email sexy
>>
>>7527413
No, those sentences are genuinely bad. Proust was not imbued with a divine aura that made each and every one of his sentences successful and worthy of praise within your, or even his, aesthetic paradigm.
Disregard academic praise, you will be a better reader for it.
>>
>>7527873
are you a grill by the wey?
>>
>>7527873
wanna be up in u
>>
>>7527873
>Like seriously, do you seriously think you're the superior sex after reading stuff like this?
How could you not?
>>
>>7527875
>>7527878
>>7527879
>>7527881
ironic biting is still biting
>>
>>7527873
We don't squander the magic of menstruation with "moon cups" or "freebleeding".
>>
There is discussion daily. Have you really been so unnoticed in your life that you need to ignore all else but yourself and make this idiotic thread?
If there is scant discussion in your estimation it's because Proust didn't write in English, and the culture here shuns translations for whatever reason.
>>
ITT: reddit
>>
>>7527850
I feel ya, dutchie. There were a few parts in Combray that I just had to let slide cause I couldnt make myself parse the sentence. Swann in Love has been smooth sailing, however.
>>
>>7528215
That's what I heard, looking forward to it.
>>
File: tarkovskys.jpg (176 KB, 944x617) Image search: [Google]
tarkovskys.jpg
176 KB, 944x617
Best book is two - with those lovely flower girls. It gets weird in the middle but it still that nostalgic and very reflexive tale of unrequited love to people, things and places that somehow resolves in the narration itself. Reminds me of pic related.
>>
does it matter which volume i start with
>>
>>7528428
Yes.
>>
>>7528454
be more more eloquent. it's the elegant thing to do. and girls like it.
>>
>>7528464
No. There are recurring characters, a lot of them, and the book takes it for granted that you remember who they are all the time. There is no stand alone story and the protagonist keeps getting older throughout the series. That makes you care for not only the great insights of the author in matters of aesthetics but also small and mundane beauties in that specific way of life the nobility in the early 1900 and even the snobs had.
>>
>>7528525
That last part is why I enjoy his writing a lot; because of his capacity to make you understand and even love the charms of a group of persons demonised by today standards. But yet they loved, above all else, a good conversation, a great character and they sought artists (though they still had the ability to mock their lack of education in certain aspects in their faces) or intellectual and discussed plays and poems while ridiculizing, quite often, the ignorance of a princess or a high government member. Implying girls dont like even more the sweet silence with my eyes
>>
>>7527171
We aren't that into chick lit
>>
>>7528464
nah chicks dig a laconic dick
>>
>>7528691
eloquent. chatty.
>>
>>7528691
>in other words, brief
>b-but concise
>>
>>7528672
Yes we are.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.