[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Canadian Literature?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
Canadians of /lit/, how do we save the culture of our country's literature? Besides Margaret Atwood and Alice "Our Chekhov" Munro, the rest of the world literally gives zero fucks about what Canadians have written since the confederation, even when we hold the most land area of any country after Russia. The emergence of great Canadian literature would be the final step to finally establishing ourselves as a GOAT nation.
>>
dude weed lmao
>>
if those are the only 2 canadian writers you know, you should consider reading more.
>>
>>7527114
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_writers
>>
>>7527124
Not the OP, but the only other one I know is Robertson Davies.
>>
>>7527125
Why the fuck does Wikipedia separate the sortable tables into different sections based on letter, meaning you can only sort each of those letters and not the whole thing, that's fucking retarded
>>
Steven Leacock
>>
>>7527114
Yann Martel and Timothy Findley
I'm an American.
>>
>>7527154
Ah, I also know about Yann Martel, but he didn't come to mind as he's quite forgettable.
>>
>>7527125
When was the last time /lit/ bothered discussing any of the authors mentioned in there?
>>
>when we hold the most land area of any country after Russia

So much of it is wasteland. A lot of Russia is too anyway. In a few generations Canadians themselves will be a minority. Will that minority read books? Will the majority populace have the command of English to read books? Only time will tell.
>>
>>7527173
/lit/ talks about Atwood from time to time, but that's only because she writes science fiction.
>>
Honestly, why hasn't the US just annexed Canada already? We have the power, and as OP's thread suggests, Canada doesn't have a culture. It's not like anything would be lost.
>>
>>7527184
Because they're communists.
>>
Alistair Macleod writes beautiful short stories
>>
>>7527184
There's no need for a formal annexation since we are already an American vassal state. We went from being part of the British empire to part of the American empire. We're huge sluts though and will likely latch onto China in the best future. Canada is pathetic.
>>
Does Bellow count as Canadian?
>>
>>7527184
You tried. You failed...
>>7527247
>we are already an American vassal state
This as well.

I'm not Canadian BTW.
>>
>>7527854
I hope so. He's arguably the the only top tier author we've ever had.
>>
File: 991715.jpg (43 KB, 311x475) Image search: [Google]
991715.jpg
43 KB, 311x475
Wyndham Lewis

>>7527854
No.
>>
Anne Carson is our most patrician

"A professor of the classics, with background in classical languages, comparative literature, anthropology, history, and commercial art, Carson blends ideas and themes from many fields in her writing. She frequently references, modernizes, and translates Ancient Greek literature. She has published eighteen books as of 2013, all of which blend the forms of poetry, essay, prose, criticism, translation, dramatic dialogue, fiction, and non-fiction."

Most canadian lit to me feels too local and too related to present moment stuff, it never really connects to larger ideas of the human condition and therefore isn't really worth reading for all people.

Sometimes I feel like it isn't canadian to make large sweeping comments on the lives of everyone.

I wish i was the canadian raymond carver : (
>>
Best french canadian poet: Gaston Miron
Best french canadian writer: Réjean Ducharme

Coming from a Québécois.
>>
Ondaatje?
Richler?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.