[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is philosophy such a pain to read ? I'm a curious mind
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: Rainy-Clouds-On-Gili.jpg (3 MB, 4743x3141) Image search: [Google]
Rainy-Clouds-On-Gili.jpg
3 MB, 4743x3141
Why is philosophy such a pain to read ? I'm a curious mind and I've read about anything from scientific books to ordinary novels, yet I can't bear philosophy books and it actually makes me cringe. I feel like I'm reading a purged version of a novel with only definition of a subjective point of view. However I really have difficulty understanding why I feel this way and how to correct my point of view.
>>
What books specifically? Some philosophical texts are easier to digest than others
>>
Because you're reading obscurantist pseudo-philosophy from pretentious continentals.
>>
>>7526131
I've been trying Antechrist from Nietzche, the Capitol from Marx and I remember reading Kant.

It feels like I'm just mindlessly reading a chain of ideas meaninglessly, and there's a sense of the work being incomplete as if I was just reading a skeleton. It also often seems pretentious and unilateral. I've also however read fictions from Platon and they felt like any ordinary novel.
>>
>>7526201
>Nietzche
>Kant
You're starting with the wrong books and probably the wrong authors too. Start with something easier.
>>
>>7526201
You aren't digesting the ideas properly. Either due to a lack of vocabulary or attention span. Take one sentence and decipher it until the idea is found, then move on to the next. Slowly you will gain momentum.
>>
>>7526249
I can do it but unlike any other learning material it really seems pointless and I find no enjoyment. On the other hand, trying to perfectly understand a novel and the meaning of everything inside is not tedious at all and really interesting.

However " I don't like philosophy " is an unsatisfying explanation and I'm sure something is simply false with my point of view.

>>7526238
What would be the starters ?

I have some doubts though. Not understanding a science book doesn't make me hate it and I still understand what's behind it, but why is there such a reluctance when it's about philosophy ?
>>
>>7526266
GREEKS
R
E
E
K
S

Pick up with Plato's apology, easiest to start from. Go back to the presocratics after you understand more.
>>
>>7526266
Philosophy deals with thinking, thinking to such a degree as to challenge your current mindset. Reading a novel does not shift your paradigm, philosophy does. You don't like the effort, not the knowledge gained.
>>
>>7526355
I just need to add here that some novels could shift your paradigm, it's just not the norm with the easy reading garbage that the bulk consists of.
>>
>>7526345
Thanks, I'll try starting there then.

>>7526355
Well, I certainly am more guided in a book but it doesn't make them obvious either. Even a " basic " work like The Little Prince has lots of hidden symbolism requiring thinking, and I also need to think if I am reading any kind of theories or learning a discipline.
>>
>>7526121
To read Nietzsche or Kant you need a foundation of ancient and modern philosophy.

Read Plato's short dialogues (Apology, Crito, Euthyphro, Phaedo). Read a bit of Republic if you feel up for it.

Aristotle's Nichomachean Ethics will expose you to a virtue theory of morality (Nietzsche's morality is also a virtue theory).

For modern phil, you need to understand Descartes meditations, Hume's epistemology, and maybe a book on modern epistemology in general. After Descartes and Hume, Kant will make some sense.

If you just jump into Nietzsche he'll sound like a raving lunatic- not only because he references tons of obscure philosophical shit, but because he does it through poetic metaphors.

You gotta walk before you run
>>
>>7526405
Valued post.
>>
>>7526405
Thanks, I'll keep this in mind.
>>
>>7526121

I too am like this. I try to not read mind corrupting shit.

Try Ride the Tiger by Julius Evola
>>
>>7527463

You need a foundation in traditionalism first.

Bunch of liberals dont understand why this book is a thing
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.