[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
new to /lit/, redpill me on this man
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
File: arthur_schopenhauer_33.jpg (170 KB, 1344x1344) Image search: [Google]
arthur_schopenhauer_33.jpg
170 KB, 1344x1344
new to /lit/, redpill me on this man
>>
He's a meme philosopher
>>
I can't, I've already read Nietzsche.
>>
>>7525955
why?
>>
>>7525957

People don't even seem to know what meme means anymore, they just think that if something is discussed a lot that makes it a meme.
>>
You don't need to be happy if you're right.
>>
>>7525963
That is what a meme is... that doesn't mean it's bad though. That's the mistake.
>>
>>7525969

No a meme is a contagious idea that spreads through a community like a virus. People generally don't even know why they are repeating a meme, they're just doing it because that's what everyone else is doing, it's a symptom of herd mentality. Or they just find it humorous. A meme is more like a cliche' than something that's just widely discussed.
>>
>>7525986
A cliche is much close to a more than a meme. Only stale memes that have passed into the cultural milieu from fads to foundational precepts are cliched.
>>
Back to Schopenhauer though, I don't really even know what you're asking OP. It sounds like you're trying to say "Sell me on him". You have to give us a little more than that. What do you want to know? Do you even know his stance? Are you trying to get a Cliff's Notes version of his philosophy? We're not doing your homework for you.
>>
>>7526017
>A cliche is much close to a more than a meme
Jesus
>>
>>7525986
A meme is anything repeated.
>>
>>7525948
how about you read him instead retard
>>
>>7526025

I am not OP but if you're still around, can you just tell me more about what is overall message is? I recently bought a book with all his essays and so far I like what I've been reading. He pessimistic but I like it.

I want to read The World as Will and Representation but I don't have any previous knowledge of Kant's philosophy or for that matter don't know a whole lot about German philosophers either. That's why I started with Schopenhauer's essays mainly because I can for the most part dive into them without much prior knowledge.

But yeah, can you please expand a little on him? He's an interesting fellow, and I've agreed a lot with what I've read in his essays so far.
>>
>>7525948
No, the grapes really ARE sour.
>>
>>7525948
>redpill me on the redpillphilosppher
>>
>>7525956

thunderrated toast
>>
File: 1429055010130.jpg (343 KB, 1218x1600) Image search: [Google]
1429055010130.jpg
343 KB, 1218x1600
>>7525948
He was Hitler's favorite philosopher. Hitler carried a copy of The World of Will and Representation on the road in WW1. Hitler also rides Schopenhauer's dick and calls him "a genius who would be one of the few worthy enough to modify the language."

In Hitler's Table Talks, the rest of the SS call Schopenhauer a faggot and Hitler reluctantly acknowledges that Nietzche is superior but you can tell that he still prefers Schopey :3
>>
>>7526165
>So far I like what I've been reading.
>He pessimistic but I like it.
>He's an interesting fellow, and I've agreed a lot with what I've read in his essays so far.

Why do so many posts on /lit/ read like soul-dead college students' mindless answers to their English 101 homework? Is it a subtle meme or are people's opinions on here really that feeble, timid, and substanceless?
>>
Ignore the shit posters and read this: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/schopenhauer/
>>
>>7528107
You think that college allows people to have "feeble, timid, and substance less" opinions? Fuck outta here
>>
>>7528119
How to get an A in low level English classes:

On assignments:
>What did you think of X?
I liked it alot and really thought it was interesting. I think the part about Y is interesting.

In class:
>What did you think of X?
Uhhhh..I really thought it was pessimistic, but Uhhh..I thought it was interesting.
>Wow thank you for contributing! That is an interesting opinion that I haven't heard before. Have an extra credit point.
>>
>>7528084
This is actually true, btw. I wasn't just memeing.
>>
>>7525948
>redpill me
Kill yourself.
>>
>>7528148
this is moreso a testament to how shit your education is
>>
>>7528171
O
K
U

(gotme)
>>
>>7525948
The philosopher who came closest to describing reality, but got bogged down by his idiosyncratic and awkward usages.

Also, I don't think reality sucks as bad as he said it does, and that comes from his biases from lookin' like a turtle.
>>
>>7528119
It encourages it if anything.
>>
>>7525948
Hegel actually gave him a chance, but he went on being a dick anyway.
>>
File: black hitler.jpg (102 KB, 600x627) Image search: [Google]
black hitler.jpg
102 KB, 600x627
>>7528084
> We now come to those other relative considerations which depend on each individual trying to eradicate, through the medium of another, his weaknesses, deficiencies, and deviations from the type, in order that they may not be perpetuated in the child that is to be born or develop into absolute abnormities. The weaker a man is in muscular power, the more will he desire a woman who is muscular; and the same thing applies to a woman....Nevertheless, if a big woman choose a big husband, in order, perhaps, to present a better appearance in society, the children, as a rule, suffer for her folly. Again, another very decided consideration is complexion. Blonde people fancy either absolutely dark complexions or brown; but it is rarely the case vice versâ. The reason for it is this: that fair hair and blue eyes are a deviation from the type and almost constitute an abnormity, analogous to white mice, or at any rate white horses. They are not indigenous to any other part of the world but Europe,—not even to the polar regions,—and are obviously of Scandinavian origin. En passant, it is my conviction that a white skin is not natural to man, and that by nature he has either a black or brown skin like our forefathers, the Hindoos, and that the white man was never originally created by nature; and that, therefore, there is no race of white people, much as it is talked about, but every white man is a bleached one. Driven up into the north, where he was a stranger, and where he existed only like an exotic plant, in need of a hothouse in winter, man in the course of centuries became white. The gipsies, an Indian tribe which emigrated only about four centuries ago, show the transition of the Hindoo’s complexion to ours. In love, therefore, nature strives to return to dark hair and brown eyes, because they are the original type; still, a white skin has become second nature, although not to such an extent as to make the dark skin of the Hindoo repellent to us.
>>
>>7528405
Hegel a hack
>>
>>7525948
Well, he's basically the redpill.
>>
Nietzsche is Morpheus, Schopenhauer is the red pill.
>>
He was an interesting man and I agree.
>>
>>7528107
English clearly isn't anon's first language...
>>
>>7528548
hilariously accurate
>>
>>7525948
What you definitely need to know about him is that he threw a woman down some stairs.
Other than that, the World as Will and Idea, Parerga and Paralipomena is p good.
>>
I heard he is a bit of a sad sack, why would people say that?
>>
>>7528107

Are you mad because you didn't go to college?
>>
>>7529650
>Implying college is worth more than the piece of paper
>>
File: shithead.jpg (208 KB, 750x500) Image search: [Google]
shithead.jpg
208 KB, 750x500
>>7528148
this will not get you an A or even a B in my low-level english class senpai
>>
>>7529908

>Implying you can learn the things they teach you in certain fields on your own.

A college education will always be superior to self learning in STEM especially. Things like philosophy are debatable.

But that PhD will usually land you a comfy as fuck job.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.