[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is it possible that the best novel of the 21st century is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: TPK.jpg (160 KB, 311x475) Image search: [Google]
TPK.jpg
160 KB, 311x475
How is it possible that the best novel of the 21st century is a largely unfinished work about tax law and middle America in the 70s/80s?

Is the state of literature really this dire?
>>
*pushes you over*

What'd you say, BITCH?
>>
>>7525923

Its not possible, because the best novel of the 21st century yet written is actually about literature professors, the life of an author and murders in a city in Mexico.
>>
>>7525923
That garbage wouldn't even make a top 100
>>
>>7525938
Still unfinished
What is the best complete novel of the 21st century?
>>
>>7525944
The Corrections, probably.

Or, the best novel has been written and published but has gone unnoticed thus far because that's often how classics fare in their own time.
>>
>>7525965
>The Corrections
Bourgeois New Yorker magazine Starbucks iced-chai lattecore
>>
>>7525923
That's not Middle C by William Gass.
>>
>>7525938

What book is this?
>>
>>7526033
>>
>idiots really hink it was unfinished
if you actually understood the book you would know its basically 44 different attempts at writing the same suicide note

its unfinished in the sense that he never said it was "done", but that would kinda defeat the artistic point.

i cant stand super literal readers. DFW fans on 4chan, although they seem to be some of the most passionate, are just really blind and surface level when it comes to his books (more concerned with plot and characters than function and meaning)
>>
File: mariamaaria.jpg (62 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
mariamaaria.jpg
62 KB, 800x600
>>7525923
the novel is an outdated and reactionary artform. It is our duty as revolutionary artists to destroy it in order to make way for the coming Age of the Meme.
>>
>>7526048
He had a bunch of notes about where the plot was going to head you retard. There would've been more.
>>
>>7525944
>Still unfinished

More finished than most "finished" novels desu
>>
>>7526318
what you mean like Infinite Jest had "notes" about where the plot was heading?

the whole book had the tornado motif of separate and distinct characters/stories all circulating a tax facility, but the "eye" never being shown, just like the arch-plot of infinite jest
>>
>>7526331
Okay, just as an example Rand and Drinion were supposed to be more developed.
There was more to the book. I agree that it would've been like IJ in that the plot would've been very loose, but there would've been more to it if he hadn't killed himself.
>>
>>7526357
there was more to it. There was more than a thousand manuscript pages. Pietsch edited it down, just like he did Infinite Jest.
>>
>>7526366
So then what did you think the point of the like 20 page intro about how unfinished the novel was?
>>
>>7526371
Pietsch jerking off for 20 pages about how great DFW was, no doubt the finished version in his mind would be the second coming
>>
>>7526379
So you're acknowledging that it wasn't finished
>>
Wasn't the intro like five pages? The book is three feet from me, but I'm too lazy to get it.
>>
>>7526357
He didn't know how to "do" those parts.
The Drinion number shit was unfeasible and we have to assume the meredith (mere-death) relationship stuff was mostly a representation of his poor relatiosnhip with his wife (which he probably respectfully chose to leave out)
trust me on this, she wanted him to write a sappy look at love and marriage and how it works but he couldnt do it, which is why that section ends the way it did
>>
>>7526391
it was finished. He organized the manuscript on his desk. IJ had plenty of unfinished material still floating around in manuscripts/files that all missed the final cut.
>>7526392
in my hardback its 10
>>
>>7526391
also youve been arguing with a different guy for the last 20 minutes.
im the original "the book is finished" guy, but ido very much agree with the guy youre arguing with.
the eye of infinite jest is the realization of the book as an object of entertainment/addiction
the eye of the pale king, is david's death.

it was finished the way he intended it to be.
>>
>>7526371
also pietsch is an editor of course hes gonna think its unfinished.
they polish shit.
david was a creative and selfaware guy, this was his final work, you should assume it was intentional (like his death)
>>
>>7526366
and no 1000 pages of unedited manuscript doesnt mean much when you consider that david hand-wrote his scripts.
the scattered extra stuff around his office (not the neatly organized manuscript on his desk) was either cut out or added in as the notes at the end, we have no reason to believe they were all actually included or meant to be
>>
>>7526403
also ive read the original IJ manuscript with all the un-added sections and trust me, you didnt miss much.
>>
>>7526433
no you havent, but yeah several figures close to DFW have commended Pietsch's editing efforts. I think an unedited version of it would have turned out a lot closer to the DFW of Broom of the system (which I frankly despised)
>>
>>7526443
yeah i have retard.
you can even find a summary online.
only one scene that i liked was cut (Troelsch is secretly a ladies man, but then again you probably wouldnt appreciate that because you probably dont understand the book).
>>
>>7526443
and yes broom is less engaging than the other 2 novels (tpk and ij are deceptively approachable) but youre only proving my point that you dont appreciate david's style and therefore you dont really "get" his intentions and are really in no position to make these kinda calls youre makin
>>
>>7526464
not to say that broom doesnt have really terrible dialog, which it does among other general weakneses, but as an "idea" it is strong and a sign of what was to come
>>
>>7526456
you are a douche bag my man
>>
>>7526494
absolutely, but i also know what im talkin about.
its dominance senpai.
>>
>>7526068
I would buy your book if you could expand on those thoughts, I'd then meme it to others so they would want to keep me around more.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.