[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does this make you feel, /lit/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7
File: Untitled.png (56 KB, 637x617) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
56 KB, 637x617
How does this make you feel, /lit/?
>>
relieved that there are at least 11 people in the world who are dumber than me
>>
File: 1445723654535.jpg (182 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
1445723654535.jpg
182 KB, 620x413
a real pageturner
>>
File: 0888 - q9LCV1d.jpg (41 KB, 467x453) Image search: [Google]
0888 - q9LCV1d.jpg
41 KB, 467x453
>>7525554
irrationally angry.
>>
>>7525554
>people enjoying things
I don't really care, desu.
>>
File: robertawilson.jpg (26 KB, 720x450) Image search: [Google]
robertawilson.jpg
26 KB, 720x450
I don't really care about other peoples opinions
>>
people like what they like. i am neither angry nor happy about this book's enthusiastic reception. (yes i read it. a friend gifted it to me and i read it as a courtesy. it was ok.)
>>
To be honest, it makes me feel really well read; the image reminds me of how well read I am. It boosts my ego, I don't it.
>>
File: j8UKC.jpg (38 KB, 510x368) Image search: [Google]
j8UKC.jpg
38 KB, 510x368
I keep seeing 'fantastical' everywhere. Can't you just say 'fantastic'? I honestly don't know.
>>
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>7525583
>tfw not well read
>tfw honestly think that the martian was not all that bad

so since you're so well read, can you atleast share some of your knowledge with us that aren't? i'd like to get well read too. the problem is I just don't have time to read that much, and my reading comprehension and fucking speed is horrible.

it takes me 2 minutes to read one page. I have no idea how to fix this, and it really makes it annoying and tedious to get through a book.

teach me wizards of /lit/.
>>
people ussually say "at least people are reading" when it comes to hunger games and twilight and the like, the martian at least works a genre usually ignored and has a bit more personality than those. it also promotes the idea that you can publish a book comming from a completely independent space, so it promotes writing more than twilight did.
>>
>>7525611
Yeah honestly, I think that /lit/ is just getting butthut over it just to be contrarian and "different" from reddit. It was 6/10 at best, but it atleast did shit better than something like Twilight would have done.
>>
>>7525554
just, disappointed.
>>
>>7525606

If you're slow there's nothing that can really change that. You might get naturally faster the more read read, and you might not. That really doesn't matter though. Being well-read isn't about speed. It's about giving great and varied works of literature a chance, and it's about having the pateince and insight to ask yourself important questions like, What does this story really mean? What makes the characters change? How does the author's style fit the story? You don't have to be Harold Bloom to be "well-read". Just give great works of literature a shot and don't be an ass and think The Martian is the pinnacle of story telling and that everyone who doesn't like it is just being a snob.
>>
>>7525644
No I definitely don't think the Martian is the pinnacle of story telling, I just think that it is what it is: a fun little story, which unfortunately had a few dumbass morals about some stupid shit like...
>oh every1 come togther 2 help other :)
Which actually kinda think of it IS Reddit-tier now that I really think about it... I mena fuck, he may as well have put some fucking shit in about the poor somewhere around that point. Or how Bernie would have saved the protagonist.
>>
>>7525606
You replied to me, but this anon (>>7525644)
has the answer I would've posted had I not been moving some things around. I'm a slow reader.
It doesn't matter how fast you read books, but rather what books you read. Check the sticky for recs.
>>
>>7525662
so what do you guys do when you're reading a book that's shit? do you just put it away? throw it out? try to go through it? since i read so little, i feel like if im not enjoying it or if its bad its just a waste of my time that can be spent reading something else, but i keep wanting to stick with it to see if it fucking goes somewhere.
>>
>>7525685
I'll be right back to answer this thoroughly. Gimme a few minutes to type it out.
>>
>>7525685

If it's shit, why put yourself through reading it? I guess you can gain a bit of knowledge about writing by playing critic and analysing what's bad, but I'm no scholar. I just wanna read a good book.
>>
>>7525701
I just like finishing what I start really. I was raised in a pretty conservative family, poor family actually, and I learned the value of the dollar early on, so it always pains me to put a book I bought down and never finish it too. But that's more like 1/3 of the reason.
>>
>>7525685
Usually I do my best to finish books I start, but that's more of a book to book thing, depends on what it is really. At least if you finish it you can talk shit about it.
There's a drinking game called "the greatest book I never read" where you list great books and take a drink on the ones you've never read/finished. Try to finish the books you start though, honestly. There's something to be gleaned from all books in the Canon.
>>
do people seriously not finish books? how pleb can you get?

i've read hundreds of classics all the way through. even if i absolutely hated every page of some them i'll still read a further 800 pages of the book to finish it. never, ever drop a book.
>>
>>7525846
>never, ever drop a book.

Why not?
>>
>>7525554
It makes me happy that people can enjoy something so much.
>>
>>7525829
>At least if you finish it, you can talk shit about it.
This is another good reason why I do it, but I didn't want to mention it because it'd just make me sound like a dumb snobby pretentious fuckhead.
>>
>>7525587
Won't 'fantastical' in this sense mean 'relates to fantasy'. While 'fantastic' these days just means 'great'.

I don't understand why people use 'fantastical'
>>
File: cWEAR.jpg (111 KB, 600x423) Image search: [Google]
cWEAR.jpg
111 KB, 600x423
>>7525980
Phantastical
>>
>>7525970
lol nah dude. You can always have ill opinions of books if you've read them. People that say all books are great are liars.
>>
>>7526005
I honestly have met some people who genuinely find enjoyment in reading even the most shittiest of books. IT's some weird type of cursegift that not everyone has. I wish I had that much of a love for books.
>>
>>7525554
I don't care because I'm an adult. Caring about other people's opinions is for teens and spergs.
>>
>>7526035
You might be an autist. Not even memeing, you should get that checked out.
>>
>>7525554
>>7525587
"Fantastical" had to be invented cause people used "fantastic" to mean great or amazing. Now people are using fantastical to mean that too?
>>
>>7526035

>I don't care because I'm an adult. Caring about other people's opinions is for teens and spergs.

So you've never asked for a book recommendation? Never asked for a restaurant recommendation? What someone's political views are?

Have you never had a conversation with someone, is what I'm asking I guess?

I'm agreeing with [>>7526041], you should get tested.
>>
>>7525623
>It was 6/10 at best

nice bait
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.