[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your favorite place to go pick up new material, /lit/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 10
File: download (7).jpg (9 KB, 258x195) Image search: [Google]
download (7).jpg
9 KB, 258x195
What's your favorite place to go pick up new material, /lit/?
>>
amazon
>>
My local hip, independently owned book store.
>>
>>7525250
I give it a few years before it goes bankrupt
>>
>>7525250
ive been there, you live in denton anon?
>>
I pay attention to bookshelves in films. Then, I Google those titles and if I like the synopsis I go on to buy them online (wherever it's the cheapest).
>>
>>7525250
All the indie bookstores around me have shit selections. All genre fiction, self improvement, and cookbooks.
>>
>>7525394
Right outside Denton, still in Denton county.
>>
>>7525421
The one I visit has an incredible selection, all at dirt cheap prices.
>>
>>7525394
>>7525645
dentonfag here, why is Recycled Books so intimidating
>>
>>7525785
What do you mean intimidating?
>>
>>7525686

That picture makes me anxious. Bookstores are a safe refuge for me, a refuge of being amongst books and not talking to people.

I would feel so nervous if I was in a bookstore and a girl that pretty smiled at me.

>I'd instantly pretend I was in the wrong section and go somewhere else, my insides spaghetti inside me
>>
>>7525790
i never know where to start looking when i go in and i feel like an ass when i have that "lost" look on my face
>>
>>7525795
Yeah I see what you mean. Recycled books is always full of a bunch of college kids, most aren't even interested in books. Just today I was over there to pick up Ulysses, I knew exactly where it was and it was the only book I was getting so I expected it to go real quick, in and out. But no, a group of college chicks decided to have social hour right in front of the Jame Joyce books and I couldn't muster up the courage to ask them to move. Ended up wait 15 mins until they left.

This other time I was there some good looking grills asked me to take their picture for them. So I obliged, took their picture, then they tried to start a conversation with me which caused me to sperg out and get away from them as soon as I could.
>>
>>7525798
Literature is on the third floor, pretty much the only place where there's anything of worth aside from the non-fiction in the basement and the philosophy and religions section near the cash register
>>
File: image.jpg (88 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88 KB, 500x400
>tfw work at a independent bookstore
>tfw get 30% off on everything and sometimes shitty fiction novels for free

Why don't you have a job at a bookstore anon? Is it because you are pursuing higher education like a lamb led to a poisoned well?
>>
>>7526162
My sister actually works at a Half Price Books. She said she'd like it if most of the customers weren't pants shitting retarded.
>>
>>7525248
This.
>>
>>7526168
I can definently see her point. However I live in a really trendy area so I'm confronted more with the psuedo-intellectual "Marxist" hipster type who at least know what kind of garbage they are looking for.
>>
>>7526182
>psuedo-intellectual "Marxist" hipster type
So your average Redditor?
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 306x370) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 306x370
>>7526195
Indeed It's quite sad really. They all have a copy paste personality. The minute one of these clowns walk in I know exactly what he's gonna ask if we have aswell as what bullshit small-talk he will make with me.

>oh do you have Lenin or Marx in stock? How about (insert obscure author he knows we don't have)

>do you like the coffee shop next door? It's all natural you know I hate that Starbucks mass-produced GMO garbage man haha

Literally have had this said to me by countless different hipsters
>>
>>7526223
The sad thing is, I used to be a marxist.
Thank God I learned about how economics actually worked.
>>
Amazon for when I know exactly what I want. The bargain bin of my hipster bookstore when I'm not picky.
>>
>>7525798
No one cares anon, go in and start looking
>>
>>7525824
>But no, a group of college chicks decided to have social hour right in front of the Jame Joyce books and I couldn't muster up the courage to ask them to move. Ended up wait 15 mins until they left.
Stop being such a fucking pussy. Wade through them, sneer at them, and leave.
>>
>>7526330
This

Does no one every retain the values and outlook they receive when reading literature or philosophy?

Why are you guys such fucking nerds?
>>
HPB is my usual stop. Great selections, condition... I can get a barely used hardcover for $4 usually
>>
File: 011-1.jpg (98 KB, 490x370) Image search: [Google]
011-1.jpg
98 KB, 490x370
>>
File: image.jpg (230 KB, 490x370) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
230 KB, 490x370
heaven.
>>
>>7526500
>>7527910
where are these?
>>
Chicago has great bookstores.
>>
I generally like to buy my books in new or like-new condition, so I shop mainly on Amazon & eBay.

I love going to bookstores, but I usually end up making desultory purchases. Plus, if a used bookstore happens upon a book that's legitimately valuable, like a textbook, and they've checked the prices online, they tend to price towards the upper end.

Also this
>>7528227 .

>seminary co-op bookstore at University of Chicago and Unabridged in Boystown for new books
>Myopic in Wicker Park for used books & meeting women

ayy
>>
>>7528216
https://www.hpb.com/stores/
>>
File: bookmanscorner.jpg (165 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
bookmanscorner.jpg
165 KB, 600x600
>>7528249
Both are great. Although not my favorite way to look for books, I've run into some great books at Bookman's Corner.
>>
>>7528216
>>7526500
Houston
>>7527910
Dallas

It's kind of embarrassing how many Texas HPBs I can recognize on sight.
>>
File: 100_9612.jpg (359 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
100_9612.jpg
359 KB, 1200x900
Its pretty big and it has good prices, is the only place where i have found some Mishima.
>>
The pirate virtual store
>>
>>7525209
is that in austin?
went there when i visited texas this summer
got first edition mason & dixon for 3$
>>
>>7528313
POO
>>
HPB. the big one in dallas is on the way home from work so sometimes i kill time there if the traffic is that bad.
>>
>>7525250
This bookstore is the best I've ever been to. Good thing it's just an hour away, when I get money I get to go there and blow it all on kool books
>>
>>7525209
Not any place that look remotely like that. Gross.

I go to Captains Bookshelf in asheville North Carolina. I recommend anyone in the area to do the same
>>
>>7528227
>>7528279
>>7528249
We really are spoiled. There are good bookstores in every neighborhood worth visiting really.

That said, Half Price Books around the suburbs are still my favorite. They always have the most literature in the best condition and the cheapest price.
>>
Half Price is cool, but you won't find what you're looking for, only something when you don't know what you're looking for.
>>
File: kc_tier_mann_lacht.jpg (264 KB, 502x307) Image search: [Google]
kc_tier_mann_lacht.jpg
264 KB, 502x307
Brattle
>tfw living in boston
>>
>>7527910
NWHW baby been going here since i was like 5
>>
Amazon
>>
>>7528313
Do you live in Coyoacán? Are you enrolled in C.U.? Are you a girl?
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.