[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just finished this tome and holy shit. Fuck all the pseudo-intellectual
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: the name of the wind.jpg (41 KB, 293x475) Image search: [Google]
the name of the wind.jpg
41 KB, 293x475
I just finished this tome and holy shit. Fuck all the pseudo-intellectual cucks on the board who think fantasy can't be literature. This book is art.
>>
I agree with you to an extent op. Name of the Wind has pretty good prose for fantasy, and the gary-stu deconstruction is interesting but the next book in the series is a total let down, it's all over the place and his love interest is just down right frustrating as hell as well as his "i'm a good boy but not really attitude" all the way through.
>>
>>7524857
it's a generic "coming of age heroes tale" that has about as much literary merit as the new Star Wars film or LotR fan fiction

Even Gene Wolfe, with all his pseudo-Proustrian fanfare is more worthy of the "literary genre fiction" title than this;to call it "art" is an insult to actual artists.

You're like a dog with a particularly good chew toy: by all means, enjoy yourself and be comforted by the fact that it's a particularly good chew toy, just don't expect anyone to be impressed by your dead eyed mastications.
>>
>>7524857
WHAT LITERATURE DO YOU SPEAK OF FRIEND? AH YES, the book where evil nameless bad dude kills the main character's parents which creates a kind of magic link between them and the protagonist has a tough life as an orphan but he has really strong magical powers and ends up at a magical academy where he makes some goofy but trustworthy friends, and some slytherin enemies (and the snape like wizard teacher who doesn't like him), and he is fucking phenomenal at everything he tries. and by the way did you know he is a golden lute player who is one of the best players fucking ever and charms the local denizens. he can cross class lines no problem, magical academy, inn ruffians, magical blacksmiths, everyone who is good loves him. oh and in the next book he becomes a ninja, and a sex master. at some point he also becomes a master of political intrigue. the character's own flaw is being such a fucking white knighting faggot that he chases after the same dumb bitch forever always right out of his reach as a sort of cliffhanger of enticement for fatty neckbeards like rothfuss and grrm to rub their tiny penises, mostly buried by their voluminous blubber. SUCH LITERATURE
>>
>>7524978
I legitimately chortled at the last paragraph. Nicely done.
>>
>>7524949
please tell me how it is a deconstruction of gary stuism and not just a gary stu. joe abercrombie's first law is a deconstruction of fantasy tropes (though still comfortably within the fantasy genre), name of the wind is just a plain retelling of them.
>>
>so many people taking the bait
>I'm not actually sure it is bait

New /lit/ sucks...
>>
>>7525062
You're more clueless than you think they are. Am I?
>>
>>7525053

Well the entire synopsis is that Kvothe is not who people think he is. He is a liar, murderer, thief and probably got the only person he loved killed. He is not some badass super wizard like people think, he was a great musician true, and he was pretty intelligent but he was really only smart enough to bite off more than he could chew. He cheated and lied his way through college and purposefully spread bloated rumors about himself to create an image of badassery that ultimately he could never live up to. He is adept but ultimately he's a fraud, and he knows it, that is why he's waiting to die.
>>
>>7525043
After reading your entire post, I've come to the conclusion you've not actually read the book.

Give it a try, you might like it.
>>
>>7525092
It's literally what the book is about
>>
>>7525092
He mentioned some pretty specific plot points (how do you just infer that Kvothe literally became a sex master?)
>>
File: Literally Illiteral..png (210 KB, 328x500) Image search: [Google]
Literally Illiteral..png
210 KB, 328x500
I will never forgive Rothfuss for his recomendation of this awful mess. Besides the awful mess in his last book, in which I skipped over all the elf mating crap.

I went through a spell of reading all the fantasy recommended on the shelves for a couple of years during which the Name of the Wind came out, before which I was a snobby lit fag and I had hopes it was being subversive with the hero (unreliable narrator et all). But alas no.

Lifes too short to struggle through something you hate even though it's worthy. Now to read something unworthy and not be entertained is a sin to yourself and every other book on your shelf.
>>
>>7524857
I liked it.
>>
>>7525271
But...why?
>>
>>7525269
>dat purple prose
>But alas no

Come on familia
>>
>>7525084
His demon friend's perspective proves the theory that he's not actually a bad ass super wrong

But keep cling to some Wolfe shit
>>
>>7525292
I'm English, purple prose and archaic speech is normal in my neck of the woods, you nitpicking bastard. No offence.(as are apologies)
>>
>>7524857
OP, just ignore /lit/, the first book is great, it's what captures you.

It's the second book where it turns to crap with a bunch of deus ex machina, and more unbearable angst, but the world is still captivating.
>>
>>7525304

That could end up being the case but I'm just saying that so far this is how the story has been set up and I think that Bast has some strange love or need for Kvothe, he's pretty obsessed with getting him to use his power again which is something Kvothe/Kote is unwilling or unable to do because he made a huge fucking mistake. he changed his magical name and now it's been sealed inside the chest in his room most likely
>>
>>7525355
Will you admit to yourself that the series is shit when he turns out to be super bad ass with his only weaknesses being interview-answer-weaknesses?
>>
>>7525375

Probably, I'm not emotionally invested in it or anything. I don't want to jump the gun on it either. My feeling on the whole series is pretty Meh desu. I've read far worse.
>>
>>7525375
It dosen't matter let him buy the books and let us all forget what we read.

There is no point in investing anymore time in this series it's already turned to ice and fire after two books.
>>
>>7524949
But the book does nothing interesting with its gary-stu deconstruction/unreliable narrator. Just including that stuff without doing something with it doesn't get credit.
>>
>implying this isn't the best fantasy to be released in 20 years
>>
>>7527647
It really isn't. Fantasy hasn't gotten too many good titles in that time, but there's at least 100 less shitty titles.
>>
Can you try harder? Please?
>>
The magicians Lev Grossman is better.
>>
>>7525092

I've read the books and I'd say that other guy has probably read the books.
>>
>>7527658

>there's at least 100 less shitty titles
I'll go easy on you by asking that you name a mere 50 of them.
>>
>>7525043
>>7525084
Right now it's both, it al depends on the last book.
>>
>>7527727
>believing that fat neckbeard will really wrap it up in one more book
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.