[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Show and don't tell
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: download (6).jpg (9 KB, 183x275) Image search: [Google]
download (6).jpg
9 KB, 183x275
Has anyone else read this piece of shit? This thing is literally "Show don't tell: the book".

The fucking narrator in this tells you everything about everything EXCEPT what the fucking world is about, and what is happening in the world. I'm about 30 pages in and I still don't know if the fucking world is like.. High tech or low tech like traditional fantasy. I don't fucking know, because it doesn't fucking show me or tell me at all.

A fucking punk girl is introduced, and instead of showing us that she is a punk by describing her appearance, it just fucking tells us.

That being said, let's fucking bitch a little bit about show and don't tell.

It's fucking annoying. I want to get into a book, and the fucking book reads like an encyclopedia. It's really annoying. Does anyone else hate this shit?
>>
File: ready player one.jpg (24 KB, 313x475) Image search: [Google]
ready player one.jpg
24 KB, 313x475
I fucking do hate that shit. Pic related: The biggest show-don't-tell wankfest I've ever read. There's all these references to bullshit from the '80s but he barely describes the actual shit so I had to look up all his references on Google like a caveman. It's like reading Infinite Jest all over again but instead of footnotes I'm reading wikipedia articles on fucking Cowboy Bebop.
>>
>>7524840
Jesus.
Like, there's nothing worse than fucking trying to get into a God damned book and get invested in the world, but you can't latch onto anything because the fucking retarded fanfiction-tier author doesn't want to flesh his worlds out.
>>
>>7524827
bump
>>
Show don't tell is a meme.
Don't fall for it.
>>
>>7524827
have it lying around, started it once because I wanted to get into fantasy and asked around for any good ones. Some bookstore clerk recommended this one, telling me it was amazing. read about 40 pages before I stopped reading. Couldn't care less about the characters, all felt so forced and fake.
>>
>>7526065
Fucking right?
Like, the main character is a fucking retarded dumbass too. Holy shit. Fucking like, he wants to be at his best when he fights Ancenna or whatever his name is, but he fucking just goes and immediately sneaks into the fucking big scary heavily guarded fortress where he knows the character who beat the shit out of him is in, all without having a single night of sleep, or learning how to use the fucking sword he just got. This is so fucking stupid I can't even begin to get into just how stupid it is.

And the way he's setting up the fucking confrontation, he just fucking like walks into the room and sees Ancenna and his sister just sitting there, waiting for him, and Ancenna says he knew he would be coming, and it's like...

Was he standing there the entire time? Just waiting? What if he didn't come? Did he get informed that they entered the building so he went to stand in his place? What the fuck is this?

Garbage so far, but I'm going to keep reading it either until I get pissed off, or until I just break and start laughing about how horrible it is. Wish me luck.
>>
>>7526110
>this got published
>ywn get published
>>
>>7526172
What is YWN?
>>
>>7526172
if anything this is encouraging. the book market is so god damn flooded with trash it seems that all you have to do is write a book and you'll get published
>>
>>7526176
you will never
>>7526172
I guess every negative comment on a book is now negligible
>>
>>7524827
I keep telling you cunts, do not read anything by authors who have Terry in their names.
>>
>>7524827
bump
>>
>>7526172
>>7526065
So OP here again, I just reached page 40, I didn't want to read this shit last night, and I'm KIND of getting into it a little I guess? I mean I liked the magic part I suppose, but it's still so fucking undetailed that it's just kind of boring...

Like,
"a wolf with yellow eyes was there"
What KIND of wolf? What color was it's fur? How big was it? How hard is it to fucking write this shit?
>>
>>7529107
>it's
American education, everyone.

Also, /lit/'s level.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.