[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shit /lit/ I'm torn between two beliefs.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 299x254) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 299x254
Hey /lit/ I'm trying to figure out what the best belief system is for me and why I should follow it, the two beliefs are Zen Buddhism and Orthadox Christianity. Can anyone explain which is better and if there are any books that I should read on the two beliefs?
>>
>I can't think for myself so I need to have someone think for me on thinking for myself
>>
>>7524559

Mix em together and create your own religion.
>>
>>7524559
Seek fearlessly after the truth, bro
>>
>>7524575
This. Become a Zenthodox Christa.
>>
>>7524559
Zen is fucking gay.
>>
>>7524559
http://www.amazon.com/Mysticism-Christian-Buddhist-Daisetz-Teitaro/dp/1477456473

There's another, and academic book, that is all about comparing the experiences gained by zen practice and Christian mysticism, but I can't remember its name. If I remember, will post it.
>>
>shopping around for religion

This shit blows my mind.
>>
>>7524559

Lame troll.
>>
Sure you are OP
>>
Hang out with both peoples and decide. Join congregations or something and participate. Otherwise you're just an amateur, pseudo-
academic-type.
>>
File: wallpapers-lord-krishna-4.jpg (186 KB, 1200x1350) Image search: [Google]
wallpapers-lord-krishna-4.jpg
186 KB, 1200x1350
Bhagavad gita 18.66 - "Abandon all varieties of religion and just surrender unto Me. I shall deliver you from all sinful reaction. Do not fear."
>>
>>7524603
nigga YOU gay
>>
>>7524663
Pretty disgusting, ain't it?
>>
>>7524663
Yeah pretty much. You go for it becuause you think it's true, not because it makes you feel all warm inside.
>>
>>7524559
shit that same thing is happening with me right now
>>
I would personally recommend Buddhism because it tends to be less mystical and more direct. People on the outside looking in tend to think Buddhism is very mystical, but it's not. It's very concrete and down to earth. Dispassionate awareness of all arising phenomena is one of the primary practices of Buddhism.

Certainly, however, there are a lot of mystical experiences in buddhism, as is true of Christianity and Islam, but unlike these religions Buddhism actually aims to downplay these mystical states, and treats them more as distractions toward the goal of final liberation rather than clinging to them. In that sense Buddhism tends to take one further on the path to awakening than other religions beliefs. However, all of them have wisdom to offer.
>>
>>7524559
>what the best belief system is for me
The best belief system for you, and everyone else, is the correct one. (Roman Catholicism)
>>
>>7524559
I wonder why I never see people say they're stuck between Zen Buddhism and Catholicism.
>>
>>7524663
This

Post-Modernism has bastardized religion into an aesthetic under the guise of new sincerity
>>
Create your own theological view: Zen Christianity.

I know how you feel tho, I'm torn between Traditional Catholicism and Nihilism.
>>
>>7524559
Think of them as road maps, would you rather use one translated from moon-runes or one with signifiers permeating your culture since birth?
>>
>>7525193
I'm there. Not really stuck, but after 10 years of Zen I'm connecting again with my Catholic roots and it's amazing. Dominicans are bad ass.
>>
>>7525204
>I'm torn between Traditional Catholicism and Nihilism.

What the hell am I reading?
>>
>>7525365
Torn before life and suicide.
What is there not to relate to?
>>
>>7525371
It's just a weird dichotomy. I'd think first you'd be torn between nihilism and literally anything else (as in there is some meaning/purpose). Now that I think of it, if you spend your life being a Catholic and then start being disillusioned then your problem makes sense. I think it's just that your post reminded me of a post I read a few months ago by someone claiming to be a "catholic nihilist" or some nonsense.
>>
>>7524559

Existentialism-phenomenology-operationalism
>>
>>7524806
bling smurf.jpg
>>
File: P9187506.jpg (142 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
P9187506.jpg
142 KB, 800x600
>>7525202
religion has always been always inseparable from aesthetics and power structures. The problem comes when people try to separate some sort of hypothetical 'deeper truth' from the very basis of religion, the structures which give it meaning and purpose. Religion is ritual, religion is anti-individual, this is very hard to understand for people raised in a liberal system which is at once relativist and absolutist
>>
File: stop your crying.png (690 KB, 500x651) Image search: [Google]
stop your crying.png
690 KB, 500x651
create a worldview informed by the wisdom of many. don't accept it simply because it is accepted.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.