[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much Wittgenstein should I have read before reading Wittgenstein's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: wittgenstein.jpg (41 KB, 304x475) Image search: [Google]
wittgenstein.jpg
41 KB, 304x475
How much Wittgenstein should I have read before reading Wittgenstein's Mistress?
>>
Don't worry about reading any more than 75% of his complete writings. That's really all you need.
>>
>>7523511
Disagree, nothing less than 78% will suffice.
>>
>>7523502
read the entire Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy page on him.
Beautifully and succinctly summarizes his ideas, would also reccomend for any other philosophy you wanna know about.
Shouldn't take you more than 20 minutes
>>
Tractatus
>>
File: 1234567.jpg (13 KB, 367x202) Image search: [Google]
1234567.jpg
13 KB, 367x202
>>7523566
This sounds a lot more palatable than a 75-78% range.

Also, what does /lit/ think of the book (Markson's book, that is)?
>>
>>7523550
>>7523511
You are both idiots. My calculations is 79.3%.
>>
>>7524190
I can tell you weren't squaring your roots correctly if you came to that dismal result. What is this, your first toss in the wrestling circle?
>>
How many mistresses?
>>
>>7523571
>Also, what does /lit/ think of the book (Markson's book, that is)?

I'm coincidentally about three quarters in - it's definitely a unique book, but the experimental structure doesn't make for good entertainment, it kind of goes like this:

>Which reminds me of {random factoid} about {random painter}, who coincidentally was a pupil of {other random painter}.
>Which I first remembered on the steps of Amsterdam, on that afternoon when I sat on the stairs in front of the shop.
>But now I realize that {painter} wasn't really a pupil of {other painter}, but rather of {yet another name}.
>I remember having first heard of him in a coffee table book in the second beach house that went up in flames.
>Or was it in that book I had in the car in Turin?

There's no real story and no "beautiful language", it's all about how imprecise language and memory is, random factoid after random factoid about art history which sometimes contradict themselves
>>
>>7524230
I felt there was some structure in the "random factoids" and from their implications there arose a kind of suspense. I mean, all the hints at what actually happened.
>>
>>7524230
Except for that the "random" factoids always connect together and weave in with one another.

Wittgenstein's Mistress does well at disconnecting connections we usually make and connecting disconnections we usually have.
>>
How much Wittgenstein should I have read before reading Wittgenstein's Poker?
>>
>>7524660

You can get away with none. It won't help your game, though, try some Sklansky for that.
>>
>>7524230
but plenty of great and canonised novels use exactly the misconnected networks of memory to tell their story, Proust, Faulkner, etc
>>
>>7523571
they were fucking with you, pal
>>
>>7523502
You don't need to have read any.
>>
How much Wittgenstein should I have read before reading Wittgenstein's Nephew?
>>
How much Wittgenstein should I have read before rubbing Wittgenstein's Rhubarb?
>>
>>7525753
hah...lol...I totally knew that and was just playing along...XD
>>
>>7526253
How much Wittgenstein before Broom of the System?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.