[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Atlas Shrugged
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (241 KB, 640x1097) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
241 KB, 640x1097
About to start reading this, what should I expect?
>>
The millenium edition of the Lord Of The Rings series you dipshit.
>>
Update us with your opinion when you get into it, I would be curious to hear something unbiased about this book
>>
>>7522802
I just finished it myself, /lit/ isn't wrong in saying that Rand isn't the strongest of authors, but by no means is this a bad book. The message she's preaching isn't a bad one, there is some truth in what she says, but I'm also of the opinion that most philosophical views should not be taken at face value.
>>
>>7522748
I listened to it on audiobook last summer, if you can count that that as reading it, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I have never been so emotionally engrossed in the characters of any other story and any author that can touch me that much gets a win in my book. The hundred or so page speech is killer though.
>>
>>7522828
thanks for sharing anon, would you recommend it?
>>
>>7522748
>reading the written jew
>>
>>7522883
Sounds promising. I knew it offered up some interesting philosophical ideas but wasn't sure how good the actual characters and story were. Glad to hear that they are.
>>
>>7522884
Yes, as >>7522883 says it was enjoyable. I enjoyed the plot and the characters. It has it's flaws though. Rand's prose isn't the best, and there was probably about 75'ish pages worth of material that I didn't think was necessary that made the chapters drag on.

The money speech was probably the most impactful part of it for me, and is worth reading even if you don't want to read the book.
>>
>>7522748
Who is John Galt?
>>
>>7522828
>The message she's preaching isn't a bad one, there is some truth in what she says, but I'm also of the opinion that most philosophical views should not be taken at face value.
What exactly is the message?
>>
>>7523099
Work for yourself and your own happiness, not others/Sacrificing the self because society demands it is the ultimate evil.
>>
>>7522748

Regret
>>
>>7523158
Wow is that it? That seems like actually dumb.
>>
>>7523158
What if your happiness lies in the happiness of others? Can I keep prostituting myself for free on the docks of Liverpool?
>>
File: 1438614721707.jpg (6 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
1438614721707.jpg
6 KB, 300x200
>>7524112
What would a novel written by a committee look like? Shit, right? You wouldn't want your name on it, right? You're pretty sure you could do better?

I'm surprised her message doesn't resonate more with authors given how it's almost exclusively a "solo auteur" artform.
>>
>>7524150
but then you are doing it because you want it
>>
>>7524183
But capitalism is working for others, sacrificing yourself for jews and society etc etc you know the drill.
>>
>>7524150
She discusses sexuality at length actually. My understanding of it was that it, like every almost every other thing discussed, should be traded value for value (not money, but "I'm happy, you're happy, good deal.").
>>
>>7524196
the point is that theoretically you can work with whatever you want, you can choose to accept or refuse a job contract. That is why libertarians abominate interventionism, since it can actually decrease the amount of job opportunities
>>
>>7524196
capitalism is actually being able to trade whatever you want with whomever you want, as long as both parties agree
>>
>>7524196
>But capitalism is working for others
no
>>
>>7522748
My favourite part is when the spic climbs up the factory and shoots all the striking workers with 100% accuracy.
>>
>>7523158
>bejng selfless is bad LMAO!!! just look out 4 urself in this doggie dog world hehe xDD

What's funny is, her naive foreigner understanding of capitalism was somehow adopted by the GOP to be their claim of understanding political philosophy. It's almost poetic.
>>
The fountainhead was a better novel
>>
>>7522828

I'd reccomend The Fountainhead if you liked Atlas Shrugged. I've read both,
and of the two I enjoied Fountainhead the most. The same driving the message
home theme is present in Fountainhead still, and there are a few recycled characters
from Atlas Shrugged thrown in there as well; but the story is so much more enjoyable
than Atlas Shrugged.
>>
>>7522748
republican propaganda with a heavy message of anti-communism.
>>
>>7522748
Read The Fountainhead instead
>>
>>7522748
A great book

Fountainhead > AS though, in my opinion
>>
>>7524216
Too bad that's not how's it's been working for the past couple centuries. I can only purchase goods in my country using the United States dollar, or otherwise a credit card to be paid off with USD. I cannot go to a shop and barter
>>
>>7526851
Ayn hated republicans
>>
>>7526914
There is no problem with people wanting currencies as long as they are not obliged to. The libertarian argument is that the state often imposes inefficient regulations on transactions, usually with the intention to benefit ~friendly lobby corporations~, tilting the scales and generating a not-so-free market; these regulations are then masked with "helping poor people"
>>
The phrase "she was not astonished" repeated many many times.
>>
>>7526427
>>7526856
>>7526870
I preferred Atlas Shrugged to The Fountainhead, myself. In The Fountainhead, I didn't really care too much about Roark and Keating, and Dominique just confused me--but, in Atlas Shrugged, the slow decline of the United States (and the rest of the world, as far as it was shown in scattered references to "People's Republics") really tugged at my heartstrings, and Dagny was definitely an awesomely-driven character.
>>
>>7523158
that's cool that you can read shit without critically thinking about it.

no one reasonable will argue against personal responsibility. but life is a balancing act and what is the point of having a society I wonder?
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.