[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is writing more exhausting than painting, drawing and sculpting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7
Is writing more exhausting than painting, drawing and sculpting?

I can write well and on top-capacity for, at the best days, only about 4 hours. The idea of waking up at 08:00am and produce until lunch break and then keep working until 09:00 or 10:00 pm is a joke to me.

I tought this was only weakness of my part, yet I discovered that most great writers (and above all poets and verse-workers) ussualy work hard on writing for only 3-4 hours, and mainly read and copy material on the rest of their time. A lot of writers complain about the menal exaustion that the craft make them feel.

As for painters and sculptors, you read a lot about many of them working for several hours non-stop, as Michelangelo, for example.

I myself like to scult clay and draw, and I never feel as tired and nervous while doing this kind of activities than when writing.

So, is it just me or writing is really more consuming when it comes to energy and tought capacity?
>>
>>7522418
If Michelangelo had the desire to write he'd be 10 times better than you'll ever be
>>
>>7522438
That's only because he didn't have access to 4chan.
>>
>>7522418
>Is writing more exhausting than painting, drawing and sculpting?
No, but it is, often times, more personal, more organic: language is consciousness, after all.
>>
>>7522438

I am actually a published playwright (of verse drama) and a fan of Michelangelo. He and Da Vinci were my first heroes in childhood, adn I still love them. Actually I have just finished a biography of Michelangelo recently. I have read his poetry, and he is great, much better than a lot of famous poets of modernism, yet I am a much better poet than he was. And yes, he lived for 89 years and practiced poetry for a lot of time: it was not just a simple hobby, he really liked to work on it, but I am more gifted with language (and poetic imagination, metaphors and imagery) than he was.

And english is not my first language, so no: I dont have anything in English to post.

But I envy Michelangelo genetics: he could work hard for several hours a day, while for me 4 hours of writing is already very demanding. I would like to need fewer hours of sleep.
>>
>>7522418

>Is writing more exhausting than painting, drawing and sculpting?

What is it with younger posters and the need to rank everything?
>>
>>7522467
>I have read his poetry, and he is great, much better than a lot of famous poets of modernism,

I love this one, number 267:

https://books.google.com.br/books?id=tKpLe653tugC&pg=PT133&lpg=PT133&dq=Making+all+those+big+dolls+then+drowns+in+snot&source=bl&ots=wD1P9NI2IB&sig=WbyqMaLTqEVqN_b9-ZWZFqMX9kY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj17Mb68ITKAhUCUZAKHeXICj0Q6AEIHDAA#v=onepage&q=Making%20all%20those%20big%20dolls%20then%20drowns%20in%20snot&f=false
>>
I think so. You can sculpt and draw pretty mindlessly. The creative part often is just the laying down of the ideas, once you know how you want it to look you can just do it on autopilot. Writing on the other hand involves having your brain actively engaged the whole time.
There are obviously exceptions on both sides of this.
>>
In my experience, the thought and planning parts of visual arts are basically mentally sketching + verbal sketching, which is similar to writing. The difference is that once you've gotten the big idea down, the work of visual art is mostly just experimentation and iteration that involves a lot of rote, routine application of patterns n stuff (which can be pretty mindless).
>>
>>7522529
>>7522562

same here
>>
Writing is draining. I don't understand the writers on this board. Painting makes me feel awake and good, even though alot of the oils and supplies I use are toxic and the studio I work in will probably literally give me cancer. It often wakes me up.

I'm sure creative writers who truly love their craft feel the same way.
>>
>>7522519
capitalist culture that encourages competition in everything
>>
>>7522529
>>7522562
Not all artists just Jackson Pollack their shit on the spot. I have piles of notebooks with planning for writing but I have just as many notebooks with piles of tiny thumbnails, then a few bigger thumbnails, then palette tests, etc.
>>
File: image.jpg (78 KB, 255x695) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78 KB, 255x695
>>7522869
I love the smell of linseed in the morning. Particularly after waking up on a couch in full dress. C'est la vie, and all that.

I think that great visualists double as great structuralists, though not necessarily 'great writers'. I can readily apply the breadth of something in Spengler to a million separate ideas, but sticking with a particularist can be more difficult.

The OP's picture amounts to the equivalent of a character study by an author. The artist (Maxfield Parrish) knows something about her, but you get the sense that he's coasting on Classicism, and he cares more about ticking the boxes than observing her in particular.

I've noticed Parrish stealing from American comic artists in the past. I'd say Parrish was more broad than Rockwell (dealing in archetypes), but Rockwell had an American flair for particular characters.

I would hate to read Rockwell's take on his characters... they would be full of hilarious details, but they would have moronic, Rooseveltian plotlines. Parrish's plots would be thrilling, even if they seemed implausible. Forgive me, I'm a little tired now.
>>
Writing requires alot of mental capacity, even if you're painting something very complex alot of it is mindless technique.
>>
>>7522467
Your inflated ego is disgusting, anon.
>>
File: The Misanthrope.jpg (385 KB, 2536x2505) Image search: [Google]
The Misanthrope.jpg
385 KB, 2536x2505
As someone whose been an amateur painter and writer at one time or another, I have to say that writing is probably the least emotionally draining and exhausting artistic activity I know of.

With writing, the process is ethereal and undefined. You can write two pages of utter trash over the course of five hours, delete it all, and then bang out ten pages of gold in an hour. I find this freeform to be reassuring. I'll either write the good shit or I won't, and in the end, good and bad is subjective, and I can't control how my work will enter another's head.

If you get into visual arts or music however, you're faced with way more objective standards that you absolutely must stick to, or else be forced to label yourself as avant-garde in order to defend your own work. Particularly with painting, and I imagine the same is true with sculpting, every hour of work must be perfect in order for the end product to be perfect. You can't put two hours of sloppy work into a still life and then expect it to look beautiful even if the next three hours are perfect.

I worry that this is a common fear amongst visual artists. That when we begin a major project, we are trudging along to our eventual doom, and we will fall short of what we intended to accomplish when we started. All the good parts are mixed-up and muddled with the sub-par. This may be the root cause of modern art: Artists too afraid of having their art come short on objective measurements attempt to destroy the objective and make art completely subjective. In writing, these objective measurements just don't exist, and thus it is ultimately less stressful and self-destructive.
>>
>>7523295
>Someone whose been
Well... that's embarrassing. Please don't let my horrible grammar color your opinion of the rest of my post.
>>
File: a04.jpg (33 KB, 599x461) Image search: [Google]
a04.jpg
33 KB, 599x461
>>7522467
You literally just compared yourself to Michelangelo...
>>
>>7523178
i think OP is an earnest empiricist
>>
>>7522418
who is this sketched wench?
>>
>>7523295
Well, we have the basic rules of spelling and grammar.

They're a lot easier to "master", but there are a lot of subtle things that beginners miss, I think, so it's not too far-fetched to liken those things to the basic laws of artistic composition.
>>
>>7523295
>put in two hours of sloppy work

Any artist I know would have started over far before two hours of shit work.
>>
>>7523148
I really like the way you talk about art. Just thought you should know.
>>
>>7523466
Perhaps on the first two hours, but what about the two hours after seven? I guess it just comes down to objectively judging your own work and letting go.
>>
>>7523419
Not that anon, but in favor of his point, I think his comfort may in part derive from the fact that writing can be edited and many forms of art may not. Therefor, no piece of writing will destroy the work unless it is missed on revision. In watercolor and sculpting, a mis-stroke or unlucky chip may put an end to days of effort.

I think that anon got too hung up on the idea of comfort coming from a lack of standards.
>>
File: image.jpg (133 KB, 600x448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
133 KB, 600x448
>>7523295
>Particularly with painting, and I imagine the same is true with sculpting, every hour of work must be perfect in order for the end product to be perfect.

I find this to be a somewhat strange statement in respect to someone like Bruegel, who doesn't represent 'the grand tradition' in painting. Salvador Dali didn't do perfection either, and thought of himself as a middling miniaturist.
>>
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 550x432) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 550x432
>>7523521
Ah, thank you... I couldn't tell if I was making sense at all.
>>
>>7522900
Sure, I'm not saying they do. But once you've got that thumbnail and palette testing done you can do the painting without really thinking about what you're doing. If you have to draw a line, you know already where it's going. If you have to write a line, you have to consider the word use, syntax, flow and so on. The skills of visual art are generally unconscious, you look at them and "know" what should be what. A written description on the other hand is done consciously.
>>
>>7523412
You gave me a giggle
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3300x2195) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3300x2195
I can't agree with the assessment that visual artists are mere copyists...
>>
>>7522418

bump
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.