[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just read Brave New World. What do you guys think? I loved it,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
Just read Brave New World.
What do you guys think? I loved it, I read it in two sittings.
>>
In fact had a deep impact within me, yet, the doors of perception had a bigger one
>>
>>7522310
The Doors of perception didn't really do much for me, whereas this really did
>>
>>7522310
>In fact had a deep impact within me

faggot
>>
>>7522321
why?
>>
>>7522304
Grow up and read The Tunnel.
>>
File: 170px-Sigmund_Freud_1926.jpg (9 KB, 170x255) Image search: [Google]
170px-Sigmund_Freud_1926.jpg
9 KB, 170x255
>>7522327
>>
>>7522333
im reading naked lunch, bitchass nigga
also, check'd
>>
>>7522340
oh no, dont bring that to me, my problems are oral and anal, not falic
>>
>>7522304
I just finished it last week.

>muh Savage
>why u no Shakespeare
>literal self cuck Savage

Only based character is Hornswoggle or whatever his name is.
>>
>>7522364
>self cuck
kek
>>
>>7522356
The Tunnel is infinitely better than Naked Lunch.
>>
>>7522408
what about the troop?
>>
>>7522304
Terrible ending.
>>
File: THX.png (622 KB, 730x1115) Image search: [Google]
THX.png
622 KB, 730x1115
>>7522304
George Lucas did it better.
>>
File: watching_u.png (506 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
watching_u.png
506 KB, 500x333
>>7522304
Both BNW and 1984 were undeniably prescient for their times, and both are still relevant. I would argue that BNW is ultimately the better book for a couple reasons.

The cautionary tale in 1984 is watch out for big government as technology allows the state control and surveillance apparatuses to expand. A message worth being reminded of but pretty obvious in today's world.

BNW's message is much more insightful. A world where corporations and government are merged at the head and use various pleasures to lull the populace into infantile complacency was a far less predictable outcome in 1931, and yet that is essentially where we are today.

In the US and Britain corporations and government are more closely wedded than at any other point in history.

As long as people have their bouts of drug and alcohol-fueled weekend debaucheries; their uninhibited sexual hookups; their iPhones, gaming consoles, and other expensive tech gadgets to play with; their television shows and football games to look forward to; their sense of self-worth tied to their careers--then they are effectively controlled by the elite.

The one thing Huxley predicted that has not come true is the caste system of BNW. The lower class of rich countries are getting progressively more and more enraged at the wealth and income disparities between the rich and everyone else. This is mostly because we still have democratic notions of equality: "If I am equal to my neighbor, and I make 40,000 a year filing reports and HE makes 100,000 a year as a marketing exec, then he must have received some sort of unfair advantage, therefore I am pissed".

For total control of the general populace to be complete, the elite must succeed in corroding the national values of equality and opportunity. If the poor ever totally accept their lot as inferior to the rich then they will be much happier, but also entirely sedated.

BTW Huxley's whole thing with the mass production of petri-dish fetuses and the biological caste system was cool, but really far-fetched, even by sci-fi standards.

So yeah.
>>
>>7522333
what autor?
>>
>>7522550
The only author that matters--Gass.
>>
>>7522553
wanna give me some insight or anything to read it?
>>
File: huxley-vs-orwell.jpg (597 KB, 1328x2380) Image search: [Google]
huxley-vs-orwell.jpg
597 KB, 1328x2380
>>
>>7522528
I agree with you, but that is because I live in a western country. If people in North Korea read both these books I'm sure they'd say 1984 is more relevant.
We need more things like ABNW because so many westerners don't know these dangers, while the 1984 type dystopia has been done to death in pop culture.
>>
File: Orwell & Huxley.png (3 MB, 774x5434) Image search: [Google]
Orwell & Huxley.png
3 MB, 774x5434
>>7523433
>>
>>7522528
The biological caste system is on the way.
>>
>>7524187
Especially with the advancement of biology it will be way easier to just manipulate genes. In a way we are beyond Huxley, it just hasn't been put into practice.
>>
>>7524165
Is it appropriate to say that Huxley "feared" the society that he described in Brave New World? Having just finished the book it seemed to me that the old views presented by John and the population of savages were just as flawed if not more that the new society. I perceived that the author simply described both worlds, and it was up to the reader to draw conclusions about which was better.
>>
>>7524875
I'm pretty sure Huxley did fear it. Read some interviews or something, but I guess the book didn't really say which was better. The society was destroying art and truth in return for comfort so naturally a writer like Huxley would fear it, but some people think that that world is a utopia. It seems like that world would be the perfect world for sjws -the caste system.
I would hate to live there, what about you?
>>
Yeah it was really great. I love how its even more relevant now than it was in the early 20th century when it was written.
>>
>>7522304
Brave New World got me into reading. It was the first book that sparked some new interesting thoughts in me. As I was in my wooo-psychedelics phase, I felt like there was finally a writer that I could connect with (having heard of his lsd death). Also really enjoyed doors of perception, helped me articulate my psilocybin trips better. Nowadays I get kind off annoyed by idiot hippies praising this book as some sort of Nostradamus prophesy. Has anyone got into chrome yellow? Bought it together with the two mentioned above but never got into it. Any thoughts?

>>7522421
why is that? I found it kind of beautiful.
>>
> tfw bernard marx
>>
>>7524990
>implying it isn't perfect

If you're unhappy with it, they don't even kill you or anything, they just send you off to live with all the other patricians.
>>
>>7523433
>>7524165
But our present situation is a combination of both
>>
>>7524875
>Is it appropriate to say that Huxley "feared" the society that he described in Brave New World?
I've not heard any reason for this, BNW is the logical conclusion of modern society and the only reason people are quick to view it in a poor light is because it is a very negative view of humanity, that most are little better than animals and only governed by basic needs. It's hard to fully describe such a view until you describe what it'd be like to give them what they want, so to speak...and what's left isn't flattering. But that doesn't make it bad, it makes our perceptions of ourselves misguided.
>>
>>7523921
>ABNW
>not BNW
seriously?
>>
It was OK and made me think

Ending was hamfisted as fuck though.
>muh Shakespeare
Overall pretty decent read
>>
>>7526421

>tfw Mr. Savage
>>
>>7522304

How long was each sitting?
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.