[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Science fiction and fantasy general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31
File: 1429977728442.jpg (133 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1429977728442.jpg
133 KB, 600x600
Fuck Rothfuss edition
Recommendations:
Fantasy
>http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/4chanlit/images/a/a8/1307836551252.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110612005642
Sci-Fi
>http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/4chanlit/images/a/a6/Scifilit.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100710233344
>http://imgur.com/r55ODlL
>What you are you currently reading?
>Favorite New Wave novel?
>Favorite old fantasy author?
>>
I'M HERE BECAUSE I LOVE ALIENS AND I WANT AN ALIEN GF
>>
>>7522080
A girl hugged me today and we'll go see some classical concerts and balet.
Alien gf won't be necessary.
>>
>>7522067
Do you know what break line is OP?
>>
>>7522080
What are some books with sexy alien girls?
>>
File: 1451494214394.jpg (56 KB, 550x960) Image search: [Google]
1451494214394.jpg
56 KB, 550x960
>>7522080
Sorry. You have to go back.
>>
Okay, I get the message. I know my desire for in-depth literary criticism and conversation isn't wanted here. I'll look somewhere else for that.

But could someone kindly take the time to give me some recommendations? Honestly, I'm basically just looking for more Robert Jordan. Long, wandering stories, good but not melodramatic prose, excellent worldbuilding.

And yes, I've tried Sanderson and I'm not a fan. Worldbuilding was decent but the prose just felt dumbed-down.
>>
>>7522675
>enjoys literary criticism and in depth conversation
>of, you know, stuff like robert Jordan

Lol, from your fascination with RJ's "excellent" world building, you're the same guy who has started other threads like this (or at least posted in them). People left tons of recommendations before, wtf do you want
>>
File: 1451401833219.jpg (54 KB, 545x281) Image search: [Google]
1451401833219.jpg
54 KB, 545x281
>>7522758
I waNT..

sHeEeEeEEEeeEEeeeEEEEV
>>
needs more peter watts sry
>>
>>7522758
Must be someone else. I have started only one thread on the subject, and it was just full of people laughing at me for liking worldbuilding at all.

I get very few recommendations, everyone just says "your taste is shit" and goes back to their memes. I have had a few, and most were terrible. Rothfuss and LeGuin were the latest. I dutifully read both, but neither were very satisfying. Rothfuss was entertaining and fun while I read it, but kind of shallow and... braggy? It felt like reading Superman, the protagonist was just too overpowered and you could clearly tell it's just Rothfuss's daydream self. LeGuin's prose ruined her whole story. It tried too hard to sound arcane and mysterious, and the story felt rushed.

I very much want to analyze what people here like in literature, and why. People say Rothfuss has "shit characters" but refuse to go any more in depth than that. I want to know, what do they believe makes for good and bad characters in literature, and why? Same thing with Jordan's prose and worldbuilding--people say it's poor, but don't want to discuss it any further than that. I am curious to know and discuss in further depth.

Like I said. Honestly, what I want is just more Robert Jordan. If you are suggesting his wordbuilding is not excellent, can you name someone who did it better? (yes, I have read Tolkein).
>>
>>7523019
try Nine Princes in Amber by Zelazny. You're not going to find an RJ replacement but Zelazny wrote great fantasy.
>>
The only sci-fi novels I’ve actually liked were Earthlight and Solaris. Are there any other novels like them?
>>
File: Antiochia_su_Oronte.png (56 KB, 1628x1976) Image search: [Google]
Antiochia_su_Oronte.png
56 KB, 1628x1976
Even though I've read hundreds of fantasy books, the only series I keep going back to is the Prince of Nothing, and I'm re-reading it as we speak.

ASoIaF, Gormenghast, and LotR I also like, but for very different reasons, and not as much.

In general I've given up reading fantasy because I only come away disappointed and angry with myself for having wasted that much time on a book that gave me absolutely nothing in return. Abercrombie, Rothfuss, Sanderson, Moorcock... I regret reading all of them, and many more.

As for the original picture, both Jones and Parker suck, which isn't surprising, because I think they're both women. Jones' series is pretty much YA with godawful characters and meandering prose, while Parker writes these sterile books that are less emotional than textbook on Vietnam's river geography.

I think the first Thomas Covenant trilogy is pretty good, although it ends poorly -- but the second book is incredible, imo. Still, everything after that, starting with book 4, is absolute shit.

I thought Black Company was clumsy as fuck and uninteresting, but I might have felt differently if I had read it when it came out.

The Witcher is okay (some stories are ok, others shit, and there's way too many women for my liking), but the translations of it tend to be insanely shitty, and you end up reading the same lines a thousand times about how Geralt pivoted and slashed at the enemy.
>>
>>7523732
>Moorcock
Ha
>>
>>7523732
I see that you dislike women, so liking the prince of nothing series explains a lot.

You liked
-all the gay buttsex and raping of men and women in Prince of Nothing
-the rape and mistreatment of women in The GoT series
-Thomas Covenant (which is far worst than Ruthfuss, Sanderson and Abercrombie) because he raped a girl in the book(which puts those dirty vaginas in their place amirite?)

You disliked Black Company because they didn't join in the rape of the 9 year old girl when they found her, also they didn't gang rape Lady in her succulent virgin wet walls when they had the chance.

Did i cover all the basics?
>>
>>7523019
>insulting LeGuin's prose
>later implying you like Jordan's flabby purple prose
Feel free to leave now.
>>
>>7523019
Any examples of where you felt LeGuin tries too hard to sound arcane and mysterious? Would like to gauge your reading.
>>
>>7523482
Thanks. I'll start today.
>>
>>7524074
damn... now that I try to explain it, it's actually pretty hard without being able to point out phrases and sentences.

It's just down to the words and sentence structure mostly. She put in a lot of "yet"'s and "thus"'s and used old words and archaic sentence structures. It sounded very forced and intentional to me.

I'm not a bad reader and nothing there was difficult for me to understand, but it was a nuisance that disrupted my enjoyment of the story.

Also--unrelated to her prose, just another criticism of LeGuin--I felt she just kind of skipped through and skated over the story. She never really slowed down to describe many scenes in detail, she just said what happened in that grandiose archaic style and then moved on. It felt a little like reading the bible.

>>7523979
All right, I gave my criticism of LeGuin. Now, how do you think Jordan's prose was "flabby". and... "purple" ? Yes, I know his dialogue and descriptions of body language got pretty repetitive, but that wasn't that big of a problem.
>>
>>7524153
If it felt like reading the bible it means her prose is actually archaic and serves its purpose, which you didn't like.
>>
>>7524287
I meant that in a very bad way. Yes, it was a fairly accurate mimic of older writing styles, but as I said that only drew attention away from the story.
>>
>>7523019
If you like worldbuilding you may want to give The City of Saints and Madmen a blast by Jeff Vandermeer. The book isn't too long and contains short stories set in an odd city which seems to be decaying/ on borrowed time, represented by a creeping growth of fungal spores.

The short stories are written in different styles and from different aspects and give an example how to build a world in a different way. The history of Ambergis is a funny especially with it's bitchy footnotes and the Martin Lake story is a nice creepy horror.

Another writer who has a good style worth reading is Jeffery Ford, he writes some great prose but his books tend to meander.

Another I reccomend for the world building is Gormenghast, as the writing style itself gives you all the visual clues you need to imagine the castle and it's odd incumbents. Which is more than can be said for most series in which you generally counjor up from the narrative the same stock fantasy lands.
>>
>>7522067
Mistborn Trilogy and a Clash of Kings (never actually read asoiaf).
The Night Angel trilogy
Wolfe
>>
File: Forty_keks.jpg (16 KB, 292x257) Image search: [Google]
Forty_keks.jpg
16 KB, 292x257
>>7523923
You rekt him m8
>>
>>7524795
>>Favorite New Wave novel?
>The Night Angel trilogy
I don't think you know what the New Wave was
>>
>>7522067
>>What you are you currently reading?
The Fall of Hyperion
>>Favorite New Wave novel?
Dune
>>Favorite old fantasy author?
Howard
>>
>>7524519
Holy shit, morning /lit/ seems much more helpful. Thank you for the suggestions as well. I'll put them on my list.

I think morning /lit/ is really here for literature, and evening /lit/ is just here for their memes.
>>
>>7525032
I am not a clever man. I assumed new fantasy and i was wrong. Please forgive me.
>>
Does Magical Realism count as a subgenre of Fantasy?

If so, what would you recommend? Besides Marquez.
>>
>>7525199
Saramago, Murakami
>>
>>7525113
No worries. I don't know where the irrational anger comes from just because people can enjoy different things. And everyone has to start somewhere. My favorite Sci-Fi fantasy books as a kid were by Robert Rankin, because they were funny, had ideas/ invention and felt comfy on a cold winters day. Now he isn't a good writer at all but I still could re-read his early books and feel comfy even if I was in a post apocalyptic bunker.

Some people I suppose like to signal superiority by becoming the thing they have been ostricated by, real life/lit/snobs.

Others because they have read the same book(s) and have recently become aware of how poor they compare to the more monicled writing they are recently reading. So they act like new atheists berating their eighty year old grandmas for believing in fairytales.

But then again if you read their points many are still valid despite their vitriol, but you should always read things you enjoy as much as you read things which are well written.
>>
Hobb's farseer trilogy is the best fantasy I've read in a long while. Completely blows Asofi out of the water in my opinion.
>>
File: mb_allomantic_webres.jpg (497 KB, 1440x1152) Image search: [Google]
mb_allomantic_webres.jpg
497 KB, 1440x1152
I need literature on the level of ever17 and Virtue's Last Reward; stories with twists that I won't see coming, and at the same time, will absolutely fucking floor me.
>>
>>7522067
nah
>>
>>7524153
>>7524440
I am assuming you read A Wizard of Earthsea. Can't say I see eye to eye with your reading.

I don't get any strong impression of archaisms from LeGuin, particularly compared to other fantasy-defining authors like Tolkien (where it legitimately is a blatant and arresting feature of his style). For Earthsea, I suspect you're probably mistaking the text's emergent 'mythic' atmosphere for evidence of archaic prose.

The pacing is fast, but if you're someone who actually enjoys (rather than tolerates) the glacial pace and ridiculous detail of Jordan, there's no saving Earthsea for you... as LeGuin /explicitly/ writes to keep her stories moving, whereas Jordan does the complete opposite.

You're right about Rothfuss, except I would argue that he is far more guilty of 'rushing' his story than LeGuin is... with the most enduring theme being "what a complete badass this character is", as compared to things like Ged's conflicts with himself, the proper use of power, and a more flawed + believable transformation from youth to adulthood.
>>
>>7525962
>he likes weebshit and Sanderson

Does your faggotry know no bounds?
>>
>>7526387
What's wrong with that? I like weebshit, Sanderson and non classic scifi shit also.

t. /sci/ence background
>>
>>7526566
Get out
>>
>>7526609
I'm here until Bibliotik comes back up.
>>
File: A game about perspectives.png (905 KB, 790x1968) Image search: [Google]
A game about perspectives.png
905 KB, 790x1968
>>7526387
I only read quality literature.
>>
File: 1450499536728.png (117 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1450499536728.png
117 KB, 500x500
>tfw you get a brilliant ass idea for a short story

2017 Hugo Awards here I come
>>
>>7522675
Try Adrian Tchaikovsky's Shadows of the Apt series, I found it similar in many ways to WoT.

Also stop sulking.
>>
>>7523732
KJ Parker's a male and is based, but his style is an acquired taste.
>>
>>7522067
Very close to finishing Lord of Light.
Haven't read enough to have an opinion.
Tolkien.
>>
>>7525199
Salman Rushdie's Enchantress of Florence.
>>
Just finished Warbreaker. Not my favorite Sanderson novel but still enjoyed it quite a bit. I really liked the magic system.
>>
>>7527600
I've noticed that Sanderson always has very detailed magic systems. That was one thing I liked about the Mistborn series, the whole idea of Allomancy was well thought out.. I thought the prose was mediocre and I don't think I'll be reading any more Sanderson, but that at least made Mistborn interesting.

Someone said earlier that Sanderson writes like an engineer, and I think that is a good description. His writing is eager to show off the details of the complex and well-constructed background he has created, but the writing itself leaves much to be desired.
>>
>>7526091
It's been too long since I read Tolkein to remember much about the writing style. I read it when I was just starting high school, and at that time I just ignored everything but the story. I should re-read it soon.

You're probably right about LeGuin. I just don't like that kind of "mythic" atmosphere at all, so I mistook it for a forced archaic style.

Rothfuss rushed his story in places, but he did take more time to describe the environment and scenery than LeGuin did. I finished Rothfuss with a detailed understanding of how the University worked, the differences between the cultures of Aidem, Vintas, and the Commonwealth, and the personalities of many of the University staff and the people all over the world. LeGuin never really took time to describe in that much detail how any of that worked.

You're right about the theme of Rothfuss--I complained before that it read like Superman--but I don't really like LeGuin's theme either. Internal conflicts and such are not very interesting to me, because I do not identify with or understand them. My friends often accuse me of being a robot rather than an emotional human being, and they're not badly wrong.

I prefer books that are written like a safari--the story is just a vehicle to explore and admire the intricate and complex world, piece by piece. That is exactly how WoT was written, and why I enjoyed it so much.
>>
>>7527896
You should read Perdido Street Station by China Mieville and then The Scar as a follow up. They are basically all world building.
>>
The Jesus Incident by Hubert

I didnt finish it though
>>
>>7525459
Preach it brother!

>TESTIFYYYYYYY

There's more character depth in a wolf than all of Sanderson's books put together.
>>
>>7525962
try my immortal
>>
>>7525459
>>7528989
I hear they're super cozy
>>
File: alloy_map_2_elendel_gray-webres.jpg (530 KB, 1589x1200) Image search: [Google]
alloy_map_2_elendel_gray-webres.jpg
530 KB, 1589x1200
>>7527868
You should read up on the finer details of Feruchemy and Hemalurgy.

>>7529087
I'm not sure how to feel about actually knowing what you're referencing.
>>
What is /lit/'s opinion on the Dune series? I feel that the first three books are quality but I have not ventured beyond them. Are the rest just a money-making fan service or are they worth reading?
>>
>>7529584
BTW I am currently reading Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicron. There is an awful lot to get through, but I am almost a quarter through and still reading.
>>
>>7522824
A Blindsight sequel just got released (at least in my country)
The hype is real
>>
>>7529655
Echopraxia was released ages ago. It's also worse compared to Blindsight.
>>
>>7529655
>>7529666

Beyond the Deep is a great collection of short stories by Watt. Also, Starfish is a good book, but don't go for sequels.
>>
Was it one of you that recommended Hull Zero Three by Greg Bear? That was a lot of fun. Blindsight meets System Shock 2.
>>
>>7529584
Read them in publication order, drop them when you stop liking them. Don't read anything written by Brian Herbert.

God-Emperor is definitely worth a try if you liked the first three books. I think the last two books are weak but if you like God-Emperor you'll probably want to read them anyway just to see how it all turns out.
>>
>>7529229
What do you mean by cozy?
>>
>>7522824
Have you read any Ted Chiang? Division by Zero has a very Watts feel.
>>
Want a good coming of age fantasy like Dragonbone Chair or The Cavern of Black Ice.

I've read all the Bartimaeus books, all the Royal Assassin books, all the "classics" like Wheel of Time, Name of the Wind, Mistborn, etc.
>>
>>7525113
"morning /lit/" is just when the european are online.

"evening /lit/" is when all the americans with their shittyness come and ruin everything like always
>>
>>7527111
Can you give us a very loose outline of it? No need to ever go into details if you're afraid the incompetent fools on 4chan can ever steal your stuff and turn it into a book faster than you.
>>
File: mb01_city_map-webres.jpg (489 KB, 1568x1200) Image search: [Google]
mb01_city_map-webres.jpg
489 KB, 1568x1200
>>7530844
SABRIEL
ALWAYS AND FOREVER

>Name of the Wind
>Mistborn
>"classics"
Nigga what
>>
Is Moorcock actually good or is he a meme?
>>
>>7531482
Just read Witcher instead.
>>
>>7531482
Interesting ideas but the prose and plot plod along drearily and he takes entire series of books to explore the interesting ideas that are there.
Imagine a badly written story that takes a whole 12 novella to explore just one of Borges' ideas.
>>
>>7527111
>hugo awards

I hope your main character is a trans-racial girl with a feminine cock who is in a polyandrous relationship with at least three other minorities of fluid gender, anon.
>>
>>7531053
Like it or not, they are classics at this point in the eyes of the majority of people who read fantasy.

Sabriel is on my read list, but I don't really like female protagonists. I'll probably get around to it eventually, though.
>>
Any decent fantasy or scifi novels with good descriptions of sexual violence? Besides ASIOAF?

That one scene in the The Magician King where the trickster fox god rapes the female protagonist after killing most of her friends was deliciously twisted.
>>
So in Dune is it ever explained how space travel was possible before Melange?
>>
>>7532569
If I remember correctly it gets into that in the shitty Butlerian Jihad prequels. I don't remember though.
>>
>>7532393
The black magician by trudi canavan
The black jewels trilogy

There are others can't recall atm
>>
>>7527494
Aw man, Lord of Light is fucking sick. What do you make of it?
>>
>>7533159
It has an interesting take on religion versus faith.
>>
>>7532393
The Second Apocalypse series by Scott R Bakker. Some really vicious rape scenes in them, as well as mutilation and general gore. I'm talking American Psycho levels. Not for the faint of heart
>>
>>7533159
Started slow but became really great, especially once we got into the Celestial City and started seeing the gods interacting. Although the early chapters will probably be better on a re-read.
>>
>f3 "dick"
>nobody mentions Philip K. Dick in a "science fiction and fantasy" thread
This is why I never come to these threads.
>>
>>7534072
>>f3 "dick"
homo
>>
>>7523482
I like his other works better. Today We Choose Faces or Lord of Light. Amber always felt like he had a good idea for one or two books and the publisher squeezed more out of him. Seems like he was writing for the paycheck more than the idea...which sounds douchy I know, but it is that is is.
>>
>>7525213
If you like comfy funny Sci-Fi my personal favorite go to is the Drake Maijistral series by Walter J Williams. The first is good the second excellent and the third is a bit of a let down, but they entertain me to no end every time I read them.
>>
>>7529584
None of the follow-ups lived up to the first, at least for me, and that goes double for his coattail riding hack of a son's additions.
>>
>>7527494
First read of Lord of Light. I envy you.
>>
>>7523732
>the Prince of Nothing
I'm embarrassed for you.

Hopefully you'll get over your pretentious phase and grow as a person some day.
>>
>>7523923
well done
>>
File: 1446876702723s.jpg (5 KB, 250x166) Image search: [Google]
1446876702723s.jpg
5 KB, 250x166
>>7534757
>>7523923
>>
>>7523923
Absolutely amazing.
>>
>>7525020
>>7534757
>>7534885
When did /lit/ become this cancerous?
>>7534765
This Anon understands.
>>
I recently finished this glorious book. It's the prequel to the Revelation Space series by Alastair Reynolds.
>>
>>7534909
It's most likely because of the /tv/ influx.
>>
File: 2021 by R3V4N.jpg (137 KB, 900x1350) Image search: [Google]
2021 by R3V4N.jpg
137 KB, 900x1350
Does science fiction have to be inherently optimistic, particularly about the future? Can it present the future as bleak and depressing, or at that point does it cease to be sci fi?
>>
>>7534936
>Does science fiction have to be inherently optimistic, particularly about the future?
No.
>>
currently reading the malazan side novels,

the main series is goat, other novels are also good
>>
>>7522067
Who is this pepe plz
>>
>>7535042
Gene Wolfe
>>
should I read enders game lads? my mates CS lecturer says it's a piece of shit but I'm intrigued by it. never saw the movie, guessing it's arse
>>
File: IMG_20160103_141457.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160103_141457.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
Been reading these two bad boys and catching up on the few Discworld books I haven't read yet in the downtime when I'm not studying for my exams. Life's good.

Been thinking about getting the Book of the Long Sun and that Peter Watts double thingie, Firefall. Any thoughts on them?
>>
>>7535455
Do you want wish fulfillment for lonely 14 year old boys with a savior complex? If you do go for it
>>
>>7535478
elaborate friend
>>
>>7535466
Long Sun is actually too long. Like with better editing it could have been 200 pages shorter and would have been great. It's okay, but after New Sun underwhelming.
>>
>>7535496
>Long Sun is actually too long
>acting surprised
>>
>>7535496
Shame, but I'll probably read it anyway. Premise looks really interesting. Anyone on here read anything by Michael Cisco, by the way, or knows how to get the pdfs/epubs? wanna read him, but can't be bothered to shill out the 25 bucks minimum it seems to require
>>
I want to start a fantasy series thats not ASOIAF.

What should I choose out of:

Book of the New Sun
Name of the Wind
or Gardens of the Moon

I've heard kingkiller is a bit shit but why?
>>
>>7535756
Book of the New Sun is great.
Name of the Wind is good if you want to read a self insert fan fiction about a talented, amazing young boy who has a misteryous past whose mom and dad get killed by an evil super villain who lives alone on the street and tips his fedora to religious people while fucking godesses and being so absolutely perfect about everything and chasing the most bland cunt who even the fans hate but he just loves her for idk ass. This is literally all that the book is about.
Gardens of the Moon is autistic as fuck, it's a video game anime the novel.
>>
>>7534072
He gets brought up in these all the time. Sometimes we also talk about other things. Gets boring if its always the exact same conversations.
>>
What's something like asoiaf but better? I love the political intrigues, grey characters, brutality an tyrion's banter. Don't like grrm descriptive and slow as fuck style. Not a big fan of magic and supernatural but I can tolerate it on small measures. I am also a sucker for clever dialogues over action.
>>
>>7535810
Okay, I'll get a lot of shit just for mentioning it but - Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality isn't half as bad or full of itself as people make it out to be. It might really be something you'd like, provided you can look beyond magic and shaeningas.

I'm open to discussion on the topic, but please refrain from the >lol, le yudkowsky le rational man memeing, I don't give a shit about the guy and it doesn't detract from the book's merit.
>>
>>7535496
>that part where that Patera explains how to make a mold
>>
>>7523923

I like PoN because he intertwines early philosophy with the magic system really well, and because it's one of the few books that has a world-building that's legitimately interesting and part of the plot rather than meaningless fluff. Also, I like the way Bakker writes very much.

>rape and mistreatment of women in the GoT series

As opposed to the men that fare so much better? Are you legitimately retarded? Or would anyone who hated women so much spend his time reading a series that contains the like of Catelyn and Sansa and Daenerys?

>far worst
>ruthfuss

Do you suffer from some sort of disability? Also, no, sorry, my young friend, but Thomas Covenant is vastly superior to all those three. Not only is it ballsy, as we've already established, but it's probably one of the few cases where the MC is legitimately questioning himself and what's going on for more than one chapter after arriving into a fictional magical world.

Rothfuss and Sanderson and Abercrombie all write the same predictable, commercial shit, with some of the worst lousy and childish world-building I've ever seen.

>You disliked Black Company because they didn't join in the rape of the 9 year old girl when they found her, also they didn't gang rape Lady in her succulent virgin wet walls when they had the chance.

You realize there's countless examples of women getting fucked over in this series, right? The first part of book literally has a guy strangling a woman.

Your arguments are retarded and so are you. Keep on enjoying your shit books, friendo.

>>7527490

Wow, I had no idea there was an identity reveal or whatever. I was pretty sure everything before said it was a female author. But either way, why do you said he's an acquired taste? I mean I tried reading The Folding Knife, and it was just awful. Being trapped in a void wouldn't feel so emotionless and innocuous as those books did.

>>7534721

What exactly makes The Prince of Nothing pretentious? The attention to detail? The careful world-building? The sci-fantasy setting? The author's experience with philosophy and psychology? Wanting to explore the crusades?

There's next to nothing pretentious about PoN. It even has a linear and regular narrative.

I would grant that it might seem edgy to some people, but if I wanted to read something like Mistborn or Kingkiller Chronicles I'd go kill myself for having the worst taste in the world.
>>
>>7535756

None. They're all terrible. But Malazan and Kingkiller are just bad in that they're plebby.

Book of the New Sun feels like you're reading the work of a 12 year old.
>>
>>7535881
Uh. I've seen may critiques of the Book of the New Sun, but this one is a first. Why'd you say that?
>>
>>7535810
You may enjoy Joe Abercrombie's First Law books.

>>7535874
>Wow, I had no idea there was an identity reveal or whatever. I was pretty sure everything before said it was a female author. But either way, why do you said he's an acquired taste? I mean I tried reading The Folding Knife, and it was just awful. Being trapped in a void wouldn't feel so emotionless and innocuous as those books did.
That's Parker's style. Dry as fuck humor and emotionally disconnected narrative. You either like it or you don't.
>>
>>7535881
what should I read then?
>>
>>7535917
Oh I don't know, how about using a little creativity and finding some awesome self-published authors you fucking mong.
>>
>>7535923
your suggestion was to not read any of the books I posted and when asked what I should read you can't even give me anything.

it's not really worth listening to you then is it?
>>
>>7535889

Well, I can only talk about the first book, since it's the only one I had the strength to finish.

In short,

>extremely pretentious use of language, along with made-up words that served no purpose and weren't necessary
>edgy as fuck with a character that looks down on everyone, and we're somehow supposed to buy as the "hero"
>female characters that are put into the story for no real reason beyond being female

And as a personal opinion, I found the story sluggish and deeply uninteresting, full to the brim of characters I did not give a fuck about but was somehow supposed to find cool.

By themselves, I wouldn't have minded any of the issues as much. I mean even some of my favorite books share in one, or even two. But all of them together, combined with this obnoxious MC, dull world, and snoozefest of a narrative put me off permanently.

I actually started it three times before I finally finished it.
>>
>>7535917

I would say don't start with a fantasy series at all if what you want is something like ASoIaF. That's good because it copies historical fiction, not because it copies fantasy.

Go read The Accursed Kings. Martin himself recommended it (not that that's saying much, but I'm enjoying it too).

There's ton of good historical fiction, but only a handful of decent fantasy series. Fantasy is the worst genre you'll read in.
>>
>>7535952
I actually wasn't the biggest fan of ASOIAF after ASOS, so I'm not necessarily looking for anything similar to it.

It doesn't have to be especially groundbreaking or a masterpiece but I just don't want to waste time on another series that feels like it fizzles out.
>>
>>7535946
i'm too tired to answer properly and I have a fever and shit, but I'll say that while some of those things are true (the words weren't as far as I know, made up. Most of them are perfectly good latin/latinate words), I enjoy most of them. Probably because I have a weird kind of fate in there being something else beyond it all, some unyfying motive... As I said, too tired.
>>
>>7535959

Why not try some Discworld? There's some amazing books with heart there. Try Small Gods.

I'd even recommend you some Warhammer 40K books. They're pulpy as fuck, but surprisingly good for what they are.
>>
>>7535975
Both of these suggestions are what I'd call amazingly sensible.

Try Mort and the Night Lords Omnibus, respectively.
>>
>>7535975
Good idea, I haven't read pratchett in a while.
>>
I started reading The Eye of the World, but I'm not a huge fan. Most of the book is just walking from place to place in generic forests and fields, the characters are a bit one dimensional, and the antagonists are an ancient evil lord and his brainless minions. Is there a fantasy series out there with a varied and deep setting, and rife with internal and interpersonal conflicts? Or does this series turn into that eventually? About 2/3rds into the book for reference.
>>
>>7535946
>Well, I can only talk about the first book, since it's the only one I had the strength to finish.
It's a quarter of a single novel, published like that because of publishers.
>extremely pretentious use of language, along with made-up words that served no purpose and weren't necessary
No words are made up, latin, greek and archaic English that are there to make the word more distant and strange which it perfectly does.
>edgy as fuck with a character that looks down on everyone, and we're somehow supposed to buy as the "hero"
You aren't supposed to buy him as a hero. He is a narcissistic 19 year old who is essentially a puppet of Angels to bring forth the New Sun while parallel to his own slow spiritual change and becoming religious
>female characters that are put into the story for no real reason beyond being female
Easy to say after 1/4 of a book, but impossible after finishing it.
>And as a personal opinion, I found the story sluggish and deeply uninteresting, full to the brim of characters I did not give a fuck about but was somehow supposed to find cool.
Nothing was really supposed to be cool. Most characters were well developed.
>By themselves, I wouldn't have minded any of the issues as much. I mean even some of my favorite books share in one, or even two. But all of them together, combined with this obnoxious MC, dull world, and snoozefest of a narrative put me off permanently.
It's very similar to Moby Dick.
>I actually started it three times before I finally finished it.
Before not finishing it*
>>
Are there any good books set in the D&D multiverse?
>>
>>7536073
discworld is the only good fantasy series

the series isn't one long thread but the characters are all in the same universe and interact with each other.
>>
>>7535910
Joe Abercrombie can't write a good ending to save his life. The whole 3rd book of the trilogy is terrible.
>>
>>7527868
>>>
>Anonymous 12/31/15(Thu)15:43:09 No.7525201▶
Yeah he definitely writes like an engineer which is really refreshing to me. He also does a great job with world building and relatable characters. I can deal with poor prose in favor of those elements. If you liked Mistborn I'd try giving Way of Kings a try, that and Words of Radience are by far my favorite Sanderson novels.
>>
File: Nemesis_Games.jpg (2 MB, 1000x1520) Image search: [Google]
Nemesis_Games.jpg
2 MB, 1000x1520
Currently reading pic related.
I like the previous Expanse books (in b4 HURR) but the story setup for the new book is questionable to say the least:
A splinter faction of the rag tag outer planet "government" is able to almost destroy Earth and highjack the majority of the martian navy fleet
Also, half of the protagonists are terrible (Amos is an unstoppable badass and Alex is just boring)
>>
>>7535756
Read the first three black company books.
>>
File: map_roshar_2560x1600.jpg (4 MB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
map_roshar_2560x1600.jpg
4 MB, 2560x1600
>>7534936
>tfw Revelation Space final ending is depressing as hell
Really fucking interesting with the unique approach to possible end of humanity but still, depressing as hell.
>>
>>7534936
Book of the New Sun
>>
i bought brave new world because i thought it would be interesting but now i dont really want to read it. i havent given it a chance/started reading it, can anybody tell me their opinion on it?
>>
>>7537373
It's a good explanation of where the world is going. Pretty interesting, easy read.
>>
>>7529584
People tend to say the last two books are weak in comparison to the rest of the series and that God-Emperor is the last good one, but honestly God-Emperor has all of Dune's faults (the pacing of a drunken snail, two-dimensional characters, hilariously purple prose) with none of its strengths (the world-building's the weakest in the series with the focus being mostly on Leto's and Duncan Idaho's inner conflicts, the characters are not only one-dimensional but dull which is about the only thing you can't say about Dune's, there's not many memorable scenes and the mild attention which had until that point been paid to explaining the tech is entirely absent).

The last two books are different to the rest in that the main characters are actually really fleshed out and the pacing's much faster than usual, and personally I feel that the Honored Matres are a more interesting addition to the setting than the Fish Speakers. That's without mentioning that it's only on the fifth book that the Tleilaxu are finally depicted as anything but shady side characters.
>>
The only books I've read that are sometimes associated with cyberpunk as a movement are Neuromancer and Gravity's Rainbow. I liked both of these very much. Where else might I find similar experiences?
>>
>>7532569
Without getting into Brian Herbert's horseshit and going only by what's mentioned in the original books, they just used computers like normal people. Life extension was also probably handled by transhumanist technology, seeing that they manage to reconstruct a character as a cyborg presumably without computers involved in any stage of the process. Melange was only needed after the Butlerian Jihad.
>>
>>7535952
>Fantasy is the worst genre you'll read in.
Wtf are you doing in this thread then?
>>
>>7536781
HURRR EXPANSE

a series for children and neckbeards
>>
>>7536781
I dropped it after Book 3.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDR8b1SpoSc
>>
So, what do you people think of Vox Day?
>>
>>7523019
Brandon Sanderson is your best bet, try his Stormlight Archive series
>>
>>7522675

Try some jack Vance.
>>
>>7522824
Imagine that you are Peter Watts. You are fucking angry all the time at everyone. You wish you were a fucking vampire so you wouldn't be sad and angry all the time. Instead, you'd rip the heads off your enemies and terrify them with a glare. You've heard a lot of factoids and memes, and they are by god going into this fucking book. You've read "His Master's Voice" and you want to do that but someone already did. Angry. Angry.
>>
>>7538227
>Jukka Sarasti is an author insert
>>
>>7538184
>I'm gonna make my own publishing company that brings back the Golden Age!
>But hold up, this year imma just publish gardening and Gamergate books
>>
>>7538286
i like how he shits hardcore on SJWs tho
>>
>>7538308
That gets old after a while, and he can never just ignore them and read his slush pile. Also he's pretty crap as an editor, lets John C. Wright get away with some pretty constipated writing.
>>
>>7538308
That's because he's a racist and misogynist as well as a fundamentalist Christian. He'd probably accuse moderates of being SJW's, so it makes sense why people here would like him.
>>
>>7538324
>racist and misogynist
To tell the truth I don't think he's either. He just loves watching everyone that screwed him over at SFWA get their panties in a twist, so he says whatever gets a reaction from them. If he really hated women, minorities, and gays he wouldn't be all over Weisskopf, Correia, and Milo like he is.
>>
Correia's a piece of shit too.
>>
>>7538507
How so? He seems like just another gun-toting Baen author.
>>
>>7525033
Be sure to continue with endymion, i enjoyed it more than fall of Hyperion.
>>
>>7538334
I read some of his blog and its actually pretty good. Great taste in sf too. Unless I'm confusing him with some other guy.
>>
>>7535820
I too actually liked HPMOR; I thought the plays on a familiar universe were generally clever and well-executed if sometimes a bit pat. Unfortunately Yudkowsky started getting too preachy. When the dementors turned out to be Death instead of Entropy for no other reason than to allow the author to pontificate about rationalist anti-deathism I lost a lot of interest.
>>
>>7539653
>for no other reason than to allow the author
That's the entire fucking point of HPMOR, It's literally the LWCultists bible.
>>
>>7535923
>finding some awesome self-published authors
I'm all for self-publishing, but this is a ridiculously inefficient way to spend one's reading time unfortunately. Digging up gems on Amazon self-publishing is practically its own hobby/job.
>>
>>7539664
It's a distribution problem, they don't have this problem in East Asia where there are incredibly popular websites and sub-sections decided to self-published authors that receive equally massive amount of views.

We've caused this by sucking off incestuous publishers like Tor and Orbit.
>>
Don't normally post in these threads but don't know where else to discuss this (because I hate making threads and /lit/ doesnt like to talk about LOTR)...

I finally got around to finishing the trilogy.
Does anyone else feel like, despite the massive praise and the cult following and the hugely successful movies, that this trilogy is still somehow underrated?
>>
>>7538184
>Vox Day

He's completely right about SFF "fandom".

His public persona is obnoxious. He basically uses his actual beliefs to troll people professionally, if that makes sense.

I hope Castalia House succeeds, although it's obviously still an amateur operation at this point. Vox's philosophy and business model there seem sound, and he's at least making an effort to produce something positive in SF. Whoever's editing John C. Wright, the only Castalia author whose work I've actually bought, isn't as good as his Tor editor and it shows.

I've never read any of his books. I did once read some short story he wrote about how Cthulhu helped the North win the Civil War; it actually wasn't bad.
>>
>>7539663
I agree, but somehow that in particular rubbed me the wrong way. I think because while a lot of the LW stuff also worked as either a power fantasy or nerd-humor subversion of the source material, the anti-deathism was either just tangential preaching or a setup for ridiculous DBZ shit.

Also, the 12-year-old child prodigy stuff got more trite and less believable as the story went on. Stupid, because of the obvious fix of just splitting up the story.
>>
>>7539684
>Vox's business model there seem sound

I completely disagree, SF has written itself into a niche that only far-left teenagers can tolerate, the right-wing/libertarian fan-base of SF has completely moved on, they don't exist any more; they're reading fantasy now mostly.
>>
>>7539677
I agree, but telling someone to found a well-trafficked website that provides reliable recommendations for quality self-published material/authors isn't really an answer to someone asking for a book recommendation.
>>
>>7539679
I don't think it's underrated. Like you said, it's almost universally praised, has a huge acknowledged influence on practically every form of media, and also it's apparently on track to overtake A Tale of Two Cities as the bestselling nonreligious literary work ever despite not being required reading by every English-speaking high school for decades.

However, very few truly people understand its incredible depth. I think what you're feeling is that you've only scratched the surface of LOTR by having read it once--there's enough in there, and out there, to keep you occupied for the rest of your life.
>>
>>7539696
>SF has written itself into a niche that only far-left teenagers can tolerate, the right-wing/libertarian fan-base of SF has completely moved on
This is exactly what Vox Day believes too though; he thinks what you described has distorted the SF field and there's an underserved market--that those readers who've "moved on" would come back if someone catered to them. I admit I hope he's right.

Castalia seems like a pretty low-overhead operation, even if it fizzles I doubt it would be a huge financial loss, and it might be able to keep hobbling along for a very long time waiting to find and snare a few young talents who would otherwise have been turned off from the genre by how idiotic mainstream SF fandom has gotten.
>>
>>7539714
You're probably right. I feel like I just wasn't expecting it to be that much better than the films. It also pains me that Tolkien didn't write more. I know there's troves of content that I've still yet to go through, but I wish he wrote another tale of a similar length and breadth that was more than just lore.

Don't get me wrong, I love that he wrote so much lore, and I can't wait to get into The Simillarion, but I feel like another high fantasy adventure that is equally gripping and engaging.

If you have any recommendations for any story that might satisfy this desire I'd love to hear them, but I get the sense that everything else since LOTR kind of just doesn't quite cut it.
>>
>>7539723
The problem is that Vox Day is hopelessly optimistic; Stores wouldn't even stock one of the bestsellers here because it portrayed Socialist Francois Hollande as something other than a saint.
>>
>>7539730
Honestly Book of the New Sun is the best Sff novel and while it's quite different in form and execution it talks about similar things, especially in the symbolism and myth department. Both got that from Chesterton so you can see it there.
It's not biblical in style, but it has numerous parallels with it in the narrative and is too a profoundly Catholic work.
>>
>>7539758
Good thing you can sell things online.
Also yeah it's strange how left wing modern sff is considered how politically diverse it was.
>>
>>7539730
To wonder at what else might have been is always a part of Tolkien admiration.

Unfortunately there's nothing like it. I'm not familiar with the European sagas he based much of his world on; you might look into them.

While it ultimately doesn't have the same depth of lore as Middle-Earth and is very different in tone and subject matter, Wolfe's Solar Cycle at least approaches LOTR. Not just a /lit/ meme.

Not for everyone, and it's much more Gothic and claustrophobic than LOTR, but Gormenghast is a similar result of an author's obsessive pseudo-mystical worldbuilding.

If you'd like to go out on a limb, there's an odd blog called "The Notion Club Papers" (http://notionclubpapers.blogspot.com, named after Tolkien's unfinished novel The Lost Road explicitly linking Middle-Earth with the modern world) that contains, among other things, speculation about e.g. whether Tolkien may have experienced actual visions of what he would have identified, being an Anglo-Saxon antiquarian, as "Faery" based on various minor writings and letters.
>>
>Read Ursula Le Guin
>This is the women that told me I'm evil incarnate for buying used books because she loses money
What?
>>
>>7539769
>>7539779
I might give wolfe a go once i've gone through everything tolkien.

That blog sounds neat as well, I love that kind of stuff.
>>
>>7539664
I was joking. Self published = trash.
>>
>>7523019
>Rothfuss was entertaining and fun while I read it, but kind of shallow and... braggy? It felt like reading Superman, the protagonist was just too overpowered and you could clearly tell it's just Rothfuss's daydream self

This. It feels too self-indulgent. And I don't care for the bragged protagonist.
>>
>>7523019
>and it was just full of people laughing at me for liking worldbuilding at all.

Because being obsessed about worldbuilding is for autists. Prose, story, and characters take priority over that.
>>
>tfw you love reading middle grade fantasy more than the adult ones because it's more pure adventure over not-medieval Europe politics
>>
>>7522067
The Rim of Morning by William Sloane, never even heard of the author or the book before.
Dune
Robert E. Howard, easily. Clark Ashton-Smith would be a close second, though.
>>
>>7539714
>A Tale of Two Cities as the bestselling nonreligious literary work ever

Whoa, I didn't know that.

I was under the impression that Oliver Twist, Great Expectations, and Bleak House are more popular.
>>
The Silver Door by Emily Rodda. My thirst for her fantasy book hasn't been quenched even after reading all of the Deltora books.
Tolkien definitely. I just read his non-Middle Earth fairy tale stuff and I was impressed.
>>
>>7539894
Le Guin's one of those people whose muse is a much, much better person. I think she took her muse out back and shot it before she wrote The Telling, though.
>>
>>7539894
>>7540322
>Read the Earthsea Quartet
>Not your average fantasy at all, writing is sometimes iffy but okay
>Reach latter half
>It abruptly and violently erupts into feminist nonsense that has nothing to do with the rest whatsoever
Never going to read her again after that, honestly, what the fuck.
>>
>>7540348
Try her early Hainish books. The Dispossessed is amazing, almost religious in its philosophical yearning, and City of Illusion is her least favorite thing she's wrote (because it actually has bad guys). Lathe of Heaven is pretty good too. Left Hand of Darkness didn't live up to the hype in my opinion.
>>
>>7540360
>The Dispossessed is amazing
Global Rule 2.
>>
>>7540375
It's not "anarcho-syndicalism is amazing, look how much better everyone's life is," it's "let's make this incredibly contrived way for anarcho-syndicalism to even happen, and it's still hopelessly corrupt because people are still greedy, and they still have famines all the time and everyone's super-poor, but at least we aren't as ritually unclean as those propertarians on Urras!" Like I said, a religious thing, a view into the mind of an adherent.
>>
File: fitz and nighteyes.jpg (13 KB, 235x303) Image search: [Google]
fitz and nighteyes.jpg
13 KB, 235x303
>>7522067
>Fuck Rothfuss edition
Now this is a thread I can get behind.
>>
>>7540375
It was not "is the incredible syndicalism, it seems that life all better," is "being extremely artificial form of unionism even let go, and remains hopelessly corrupt because people are winning anyway, and still hungry all the time and each super weak, but at least are not like the abominations of propertarians in Urras "as I said, nothing religious, view into the mind of a servant.
>>
>>7535874
>Do you suffer from some sort of disability? Also, no, sorry, my young friend, but Thomas Covenant is vastly superior to all those three.

>young friend
unless you are older than 30, you are being a condescending cunt

>Thomas Covenant
>vastly superior
Out of the 700+ books I've read and remember to list on goodreads, only 2 have 1 star ratings, and one of those is Thomas Covenant. If you took off your nostalgic goggles, you would find that book is tripe. The next thing you would be saying is that Eragon was a good series.
>>
File: Whelan_Stormlight_Shallan.jpg (898 KB, 1258x936) Image search: [Google]
Whelan_Stormlight_Shallan.jpg
898 KB, 1258x936
>>7538227
I thought his citations and scientific background for why he included what he included was mag fuckin' neto. Then again, I am in academia so it is personally interesting to me.
>>
>>7540437
now tayne i can get into
>>
Elric series after the first, yes or no?
Say compared to Lankhmar?
>>
>>7540559
Wait.. cosmerefag is a stemfag?
>>
>>7540360
>>7540375
>>7540375
Some commenter somewhere said that The Dispossessed made them understand the romance of communism/anarchism in a way nothing else had even if it didn't persuade them it was a workable system. I can see that.

FWIW I think the situation in The Dispossessed is ridiculously contrived and a good example of the flaws of using fiction to explore the implications of political systems, because the author controls all the variables AND their effects. Yeah, there's problems on Arras, but that's because the place is basically a semi-arid desert, not because of any inherent flaw, and Le Guin drops hints that it's not even all that bad--I remember at one point during a "famine" she mentions that some people were having to work EIGHT WHOLE HOURS A DAY, which was obviously meant to signal to the reader that the famine was only relatively bad to people accustomed to rear cattle in the morning and fish in the evening etc.

Exponential population growth on Arras obviously threatened to drive the whole place into a Third World Malthusian wasteland and possibly render the moon completely uninhabitable, but Le Guin doesn't explore that at all because it would threaten her Utopian narrative. Ditto the fact that Arras just happens to have nothing of any value whatsoever to the Urrasti, since any of the nations on the home planet could obviously take anything they wanted by force and the moon anarchists would basically end up like the Tibetans if whoever came after them was too nice to engage in straight up extermination.
>>
>>7540399

>>7540399
I agree, but the contrivance still allows for stuff like "this barren moon can support a population of millions as well as thousands even though we're completely technologically backwards" or "no one ever actually got pissed off at having their children taken from them enough to revolt" or "a schismatic sect of propertarians emerges with the backing of hostile states foreign powers", all of which are things that have actually happened in the real world.
>>
So the Gurm just confirmed no WoW in 2016 either, Jesus fucking christ can that fucking mediocre fat piece of shit get his act together and write the fucking novel already.
>>
>>7541442
er, DIDN'T emerge.
>>
>>7541443
That's not at all what he said. He just said not before season 6.
>>
>>7522067
>http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/4chanlit/images/a/a8/1307836551252.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110612005642

This image is for ants. Anyway that I can find a larger version? Thank you.
>>
>>7541562
Get a proper browser you iphone faggot user, the image is just fine.
>>
>>7541443
>he thinks the fat man will ever put pen to paper again in this lifetime

hehehe
>>
File: makishima.jpg (72 KB, 680x764) Image search: [Google]
makishima.jpg
72 KB, 680x764
>>7539774
When you say "left wing", though, it isn't really. It's liberal in that there's lots of identity politics and fluffiness and talk about freedom being good, but try finding a science fiction novel that goes any further than that and discusses socialism or communism, or genuine revolutionary movements. Both the actual left and right kinds of scifi have died off in favour of a tasteless liberalism, the kind that dominates all sorts of art these days.
>>
>>7541651
He puts pen to paper.
He writes and edits scripts and stories for anthologies, it's just that he isn't going to finish the GoT series.
>>
>>7534058
>started off slow
I hear that. But that's kind of a rule I have with a lot of sci-fi. Shit will be slow and painful in the beginning and you won't have a clue as to what's going on, but at some point shit just clicks.
It was the same with Dune. I basically left the book on a shelf for half a year, and when I started it again, every page was beautiful.
>>
>>7534936
Lovecraft and the Cosmic horror genre is basically this.
>>
is the sprawl series good?
>>
Anyone else like Laird Barron.

Surprised that he was the first guy to think of mixing hardboiled detective fiction with Lovecraftian horror.
>>
>>7541702
Honestly, Sci-fi fandom has been dying since like the 90's (Probably when all the magazines started going out of business).

The only works of newer stuff I read now is if it has mainstream attention (The Martian, ASOIAF, and David Mitchell).

The Hugo Awards have been slowly losing relevance for awhile now. I do think it is just a few friends who vote for each other now (If they were right-wingers I would be equally as annoyed).
>>
>>7542816
Another thing I want to rant about is that a lot of newer authors in Sci-Fi/Fantasy only like to write for Sci-Fi/Fantasy fans, because there writings are full of stupid references only hardcore fans would get or even worse, pretty much fan-fiction. And they wonder why they aren't popular...

And I'm somewhat okay with politics, I can enjoy Lovecraft's Shadows Over Innsmouth even though I disagree with Lovecraft's thoughts on racial purity.
>>
>>7542834
References arent that bad either, just make it so that if you don't get the reference, it won't hinder the understanding of the story.

Just let it be an easter egg for the hardcore fans reading it.
>>
>>7542834
We've lost our roots, for the most part. Tolkien used to be enjoyed as mythic fantasy and put on shelves next to William Morris and Lord Dunsany. Star Wars used to be a sci fi samurai flick. Now they're the source of the genre.
>>
>>7542880
Where can we go from here?
>>
>>7542883
Wherever we want, that's the problem.

Finding our roots. The best source of info on pre-1980 fantasy that I've found is Jeffro's blog series on the original D&D Appendix N, or the sort of things that inspired Gygax. Earliest posts here:
http://www.castaliahouse.com/category/appendix-n/page/5/

And blazing new trails - that's something you can only do if you're really creative, which is a different problem. Myself, I'm trying to modernize the old sense of magic, kind of in between magic as Shannara-style cool-looking science and magic as Lovecraft-style unknowable power. Urban fantasy without a masquerade. Showing that the unknown is only partly unknowable. I'm sure someone else is already doing what I want to do better, though.
>>
>>7522067
What's easy for the majority is banal for y'all huh? Shame, your mothers seem to be rife with banality.
>>
>>7542921
>Burn
>>
>>7529595
Loved this book. The writing is nothing special, hell, the plot arch is nothing special, but for some reason I really enjoyed it. Can't put my finger on why.
>>
>>7542921
Nah most fantasy is easy, especially sword and sorcery, but I like sword and sorcery.
>>
>>7542699
I liked the rape, gay and incest in Sprawl series.
>>
>>7543732
Hi friend, happy new year. Didn't see you for a while, I see you are still forcing my quote to be a meme.
>>
File: 7238.jpg (346 KB, 691x410) Image search: [Google]
7238.jpg
346 KB, 691x410
>>7534923
>I recently finished this glorious book. It's the prequel to the Revelation Space series by Alastair Reynolds.

I've read pretty much everything from Revelation Space. The final is really, really bad. Almost non-existent. I don't know why the author decided to fuck it up so bad.
Everything else outside of space elves is pretty mediocre / good.

I've never played Mass Effect but I've seen plot summary of those games and it seems like they really tried their best to rip the plot from Reynolds.
>>
File: Wasteland1_final_front.jpg (2 MB, 1256x2066) Image search: [Google]
Wasteland1_final_front.jpg
2 MB, 1256x2066
Worth reading or not?
>>
>>7542921
>easy
Bro I could hardly finish the first book, there's nothing easy about struggling with a pretentious mary sue character who spends pages upon pages showing off with zero plot development happening.
>>
File: WoR_endpaper-2.jpg (549 KB, 2048x1547) Image search: [Google]
WoR_endpaper-2.jpg
549 KB, 2048x1547
>>7543886
Fight me, nigga. Greenfly was cool.
>>
Thoughts on Rifters' trilogy by Peter Watts?

I liked it a lot actually but I felt like the last book lacked something. Maybe good plot and the actual character development.
>>
>>7543966
agreed, but the rest of the books have the most INTIMATE world building ive read.
>>
What is /lit/'s opinion on the Powder Mage series?
>>
Started Claw of the Conciliator, what does this general think of the scene where Severian meets The Green Man. One of the most interesting sections I've came across so far in the series, is he from the future like he claims, an alien, or was he merely fucking with Severian?
>>
>>7543992
I had pretty much the same reaction (Lenie storyline suffered), but I still really liked the whole thing.
>>
>>7544720
Entertaining. Interesting setting. Video gamey. Nothing super memorable.
>>
>>7544720
McLellan studied in Sanderson's dojo. His work shows it. He's a little better at character, a little worse at theme, a little less shy of adult content.

>>7544960
What, you think there's just going to be an easy answer? Or that he's not all three?
>>
What are some good science fiction books that involve mysticism? I'm thinking of River of Gods or the Dune series, but what else is there?
>>
>>7540172
That's subjective. People read for different reasons. It's not bad or wrong to read mainly to explore a fictitious world, rather than for the prose or characters.
>>
>>7545967
You might like Stranger in a Strange Land or Childhood's End. You may want to give a more precise definition of what you mean by "mysticism", though.
>>
>>7545967
Book of the Long Sun
>>
>>7545967
Man in the High Castle. Amazon series strips all the good mysticism away, it's a crying shame. And also everything else by PKD, but he's kind of the Cowboy Bebop of the general I think, everyone's read him and we're talked out.
>>
>>7546151
>You may want to give a more precise definition of what you mean by "mysticism", though.
I suppose by that I mean science fiction that includes elements that cannot be described as scientific. Heavy influence of religion, or unexplainable phenomena. Something like A Canticle for Leibowitz' prophet?

>>7546222
>>7546183
I'll check these out.
>>
>>7546225
Have you read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
>>
>>7546247
No, but it's on my list. I'm going to be checking out
>DADoES
>Lord of Light
>The Nine Billion Names of God
>Nightfall

and anything recommended to me here
>>
>>7544720
The characters Mihali and Boe are the best parts of the book.
>>
File: fountains-book.png (164 KB, 400x434) Image search: [Google]
fountains-book.png
164 KB, 400x434
Just finished this.
Wasn't as great as some people make it out to be, but was enjoyable.
I find it amazing how the author had such a clear vision of the future, if you are aware of the year this was written, I think it makes it at least twice as interesting.

Also, that final with the question from the alien was fantastic, couldn't help but to laugh out loud.

Regarding to Clarke, can I expect better from his other works or is this it?

also
>muh religion
>muh aliens said there's no God

What a cry baby.
>>
>>7546779
Yeah. I also liked the dialogues between Tamas and Olem.
>>
What does /lit/ think about the Sprawl trilogy?
>>
>>7529655
I tried it (Echopraxia) and just couldn't get into it.

Got to the part where Valerie "dies", and realized that she was the most interesting character and the only reason I was reading the book so I looked ahead to see if she came back and saw that she gets killed off again for no apparent reason so I just called it quits.
>>
File: 37726483_p0.jpg (2 MB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
37726483_p0.jpg
2 MB, 1200x1200
Are there any good examples of NON-EPIC -- dare I say? -- slice of life sci-fi/fantasy novels? Just something low-key with interesting concepts and good characters. I don't mean absolutely no action but something where The Fate Of The World is not at stake.
>>
>>7547528
The first two Witcher books I guess.
>>
>>7547564
I assume that this is Witcher you are referring to:

>The Empire of Nilfgaard attacks the Kingdom of Cintra. Queen Calanthe commits suicide and her granddaughter, Cirilla, called Ciri and nicknamed the "Lion Cub of Cintra" manages to flee from the burning capital city. Emhyr var Emreis, Emperor of Nilfgaard, sends his spies to find her. He knows that this young girl has great importance, not only because of her royal blood, but also because of her magical potential and elven blood in her veins.

N-No... this is almost exactly the opposite of what I was looking for.
>>
>>7547817
Yes that is books 3-7. The first two books are just short stories starting Geralt.
>>
>>7547822
Ah I see. Well, I'll give anything a shot.
>>
So what's /lit/'s opinion on The Dresden Files?
>>
>>7547835
Sorry. Wish I could be more help, I'm looking for the same stuff you are.
>>
>>7547528
Heinlein - Citizen of the Galaxy, Door into Summer
Connie Willis - To Say Nothing of the Dog
Larry Niven - Beowulf Shaeffer short stories
Kage Baker's short stories were pretty chill I think
Anything by Jules Verne
Diana Wynne Jones - even when the fate of the world is at stake it's extremely comfy, and it usually isn't; Deep Secret and Archer's Goon are my favorites
John Bellairs - The Face in the Frost

I know you asked for novels but that's not an easy place to find slice of life.
>>
what are some books /lit/ recommend for someone wanting to get into SF?
>>
>>7548630
rec sheets in the op
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.