[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Modern literature is a tumblr blog
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: ironic.jpg (18 KB, 250x254) Image search: [Google]
ironic.jpg
18 KB, 250x254
So has anyone else noticed that the modern "avantgarde" of poets and writers like Tao Lin and Heiko Julien basically spew the same shit you have seen on Tumblr for years?

First of all they are weirdly obsessed with "dank memes", this new meme culture that is recent enough to be considered newfag, yet old enough to be stale. The vaporwave and ironic 90s tech chic seems to be very a very common theme and artistic inspiration. I bet those "artists" don't see the IRONY of trying to be innovating while spewing buzzwords and funny images about hating life, suicide (with a healthy dose of thesaurus abuse) and "aesthetic" computer ads from the 20th century they see on tumblr blogs.

Speaking of irony, this whole obsession with irony is pretty ridiculous. A statement can be ironic but how does one do something ironically? Talking about how you do things "ironically" only comes of as you being a self conscious conformist that is trying be different in the safest way possible. Dude that stupid thing I like I ONLY LIKE IRONICALLY so you are the one that's stupid. Chan culture and this board in particular seems to emulate this behavior while usually removing itself from it source via this magical irony.

Is this the present and future of literature?
>>
The world keeps a moving
but the Iliad stays the same
>>
>>7521920
Agreed. I wish I had been born in the 1920s when real literature was being written- now it's all meme-meme bro irony get anomie tumblr crap. I feel like I was born in the wrong generation; literature, what happened?
>>
I don't want to sound like a shill but icycalm talks about this in his art essay. Literature has degenerated. Artfags have taken over. /lit/ is completely fucking unwilling to even entertain the idea that the point of literature is entertainment. This opens the door to all sorts of shit.
>>
>>7522036
>the wrong generation

>>>/reddit/
>>
>>7522036
TOP KEK! great post-ironic memepost my fellow youth! If only I have been born in the 70s to experience the REAL memes of the 90s like Microsoft!
>>
>>7521920
>years

When i first joined tumblr like 4 years ago there was none of this SJW / social awareness nonsense. Over the last year or so its become this parody of itself.

>tumblr search "spilled ink" for the best of their poetry
>>
>>7522088
What are you on about nobody even mentioned anything about SJW
>>
>>7521920
Honestly you're making Tao Lin sound pretty good to me.
>>
>>7522367
how so?
>>
>>7522102
Don't oppress me you cis gendered cunt
>>
>>7522397
Because spouting buzzwords, going on Tumblr and all this other stuff you're describing is a lot closer to actual life today, and I would applaud anyone who can make a decently compelling novel with such a banal foundation. It sounds like I would have a deeper connection with Tao Lin than older writers who didn't live in a world where near-total escape from reality was available practically 24/7 (and without substantial brain damage as a result). I've been looking for a good Internet-era novel for a long time, actually, and Tao Lin & Co seem like a good place to start.
>>
>>7522427
TOP KEK le triggered xDDDDD. I am actually an attack helicopter XDDDD

>>7522430
It is a pretty sad state of affairs that the "internet-era novel" is championed by shitty writers like Lin and Co. Like I said in the OP they are going at it completely backwards. They have a very warped idea of the internet that is marred by stale tumblr memes, "irony" an an overly romantic approach that is misguided at worst and two dimensional at best.

They comes of as unoriginal hacks who visited an "artsy" blog once and decided to write a book for other tumblr users about it.
>>
>>7521920
Lmao you don't even knoe what you're talking about.
Embarrassing
>>
>>7522533
>TOP KEK le triggered xDDDDD. I am actually an attack helicopter XDDDD
T O P K E K
O
P
K
E
K
>>
>>7521920
>>7522084
>memes from the 90s like microsoft
>aesthetic computer ads from the 20th century

i don't use tumblr, can you provide examples of this? i've never seen a 90s microsoft meme before.
>>
>>7522062
which art essay? he's written a lot.
>>
>>7522533
write a good internet era novel then cunt
>>
File: 1422063248314.jpg (10 KB, 400x243) Image search: [Google]
1422063248314.jpg
10 KB, 400x243
>>7522533
the very concept of literature is a relic of a pre-internet world were content was restricted to printed books. That's why any attempt to become a novelist or live the fabled 'literary lifestyle' is going to end up a farce, a hollow social-media performance. If there's any future for artistic self-expression it lies in the realm of pure memery, detached from any lifestyle-influencer personas (e.g. Tao Lin).

True Post-internet art may take a long time to catch on, due to outdated concepts such as authorship and permanence being deeply ingrained in our culture's conception of art. If it succeeds, it would be the first truly democratic cultural movement, if it doesn't, we may end up under the yoke of a monolithic totalitarian meme-industrial complex where everything is reduced to marketable content. One can see the later scenario unfolding even now.
>>
>>7521920
who is this semen demon?
>>
OP you lack critical thought and are simply unaware. it is that simple.
>>
>>7521920
>how does one do something ironically
everything is a performance.
>>
>>7521920
DFW predicted this.
>>
>>7521920
So you run the Facebook page.
>>
File: CP.png (615 KB, 632x1756) Image search: [Google]
CP.png
615 KB, 632x1756
>>7523008
I see you've taken the pill
>>
recommend me more meme writers /lit/
>>
>>7523137
which one?

Also, which of the fb pages full of /lit/ content are actually associated with people from /lit/? the philosopher's meme? nihilist memes? monstrous metaphysics memes?
>>
I criticized Haiku Julian a few years ago on twitter and he sent me a bunch of really hostile messages. It really undermined his detached, cute "persona".
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.