[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Destroy my beliefs, /lit/ There is no caring god. We are alone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7
File: 1443035984625.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1443035984625.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
Destroy my beliefs, /lit/

There is no caring god. We are alone in this planet, and our morals are purely human-made. This means evil is just something people agree must be avoided, but at the same time, while it is subjective, it has value by itself.

Since evil its subjective, if a guy steals all his life there is objetively no reason for which he is wrong. But at the same time then, since he is free, the rest are free to put him on jail or execute him.

So, human freedom creates order. As long as two humans, or maybe even one exist, order will be created from chaos. But Order and Chaos are always interchangeable: the universe is mindless, yet it has some laws -like Gravity- to encompass it, and we Humans try to do good yet we still have the seed of evil in our hearts. One should try to accept that evil and do whatever he feels its right.

There is nothing after death. This life and only this is all we have, so we must try to enjoy it. Suicide is the worst act, since you are destroying a reality itself: yours. Thus, suicide should be kept only for when existence becames unbearable.

Since we are gonna dissapear, some people might point that there is no reason for which being good and following the rules. This is true. But there is also no real reason for which to be evil. However, one could be evil just to get an advantage and makes his life easier if he can get away with that.

At the end, strenght its all that matters in human society. Could be intelectual strenght, physical strenght, etc: the winners are the strongest ones, and they live in dominance. Love, morals, reasons, are all pointless towards a destructing force. Furthermore, only the strong ones are allowed to put themselves under the reglaments of morals or honor codes, since they have the strenght to back it.

Love is...

Ok actually i know shit about love.

Since there is no purpose, we are actually free, devoid of all reasons or meaning. We should try to make this world a garden on which to enjoy ourselves the most. Yet, some may try to give significance to their lives by becoming heroes, or dying for an ideal. Both things are good. There is no real answer so we can do whatever we can.

Life is actually pretty enjoyable just on the virtue of being alive itself.

Mint ice cream is the best icecream.

Humanity will never perish by itself. At most, there could be a catasthrophe and it could be reduced by millions, but the world would end up healing itself eventually and humans would dominate again after centuries. The only way humanity could be erradicated is by an outsider agent, like a meteor.

Life is...

Yeah, no idea there. But life expands, so i think there is meaning on that. The problem is that we are single agents of life. Humanity as an entire thing and a single human are very different things; perhaps humanity itself does has a purpose after all. But that doesnt mean im obliged to follow it, since im free.

Ok, i think im done. Rekt me.
>>
You sound like you're 13, 15 tops
>>
File: 1418358190544.jpg (173 KB, 1480x690) Image search: [Google]
1418358190544.jpg
173 KB, 1480x690
>>
>>7521433
sleep tight porker
>>
I remember when I was a teenager.
>>
wow seems like you have it all figured out
>>
>>7521427
>there is no life after death

Hell of an assumption to make, you really do sound like a child.
>>
>strenght
>>
>>7521427
Worst fucking cringy 17 year old stream of conciousness i've ever read in my entire life, good job.
>>
>>7521427
>There is no real answer so we can do whatever we can.

you need Dhamma son, tbqh
>>
>>7521427
>mint ice cream is the best ice cream

kek
>>
>>>/his/
>>
>>7521427
Is that a Slake Moth?
>>
>>7521427
ya don't know shit
start here:
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2015/07/20/a-primer-on-nietzsches-big-ideas/
>>
>>7521427

>Suicide is the worst act

according to what? since you've noted that all value judgements are subjective and artificial
>>
>>7522695
Why read what some random blogger has to say about Nietzsche, when you can read his own words?
>>
File: laughingmonks.jpg (14 KB, 236x354) Image search: [Google]
laughingmonks.jpg
14 KB, 236x354
>>7521427
>This guy
>>
>>7521427
>mint
everyone knows pistachio is the better green snow

rocky road master race
>>
File: 1437241827274.png (45 KB, 554x439) Image search: [Google]
1437241827274.png
45 KB, 554x439
>>7521429
>>7521443
>>7521447
>>7521453
>>7521463
>>7524509

I'm not OP and I'm 22 and I thought it was fine.

>>7521453

Occam's Razor
>>
>>7524596
>and I thought it was fine

Wait, unless OP intends to publish this or something.

To some place other than 4chan or some random blog or such, that is.
>>
>Humanity will never perish by itself. At most, there could be a catasthrophe and it could be reduced by millions, but the world would end up healing itself eventually and humans would dominate again after centuries. The only way humanity could be erradicated is by an outsider agent, like a meteor.

Every single species will die out. That's the way it's been for 3 billion years. Homo Sapiens Sapiens is no different. You contradict yourself anyways, because earlier you say
>Since we are gonna dissapear,

Honestly, how you got through the entire post and couldn't be bothered to fix any of the egregious and numerous typos is beyond me.

Maximum edge, a hodgepodge of pseudo-philosophical nonsense, and it sounds like you're spouting a lot of baseless conjecture as fact. Read more, lurk more, and dammit try to smile every now and then.
>>
you could probably save the space and just condense it into "morality is subjective"
>>
>>7522727
Why not just start with the Greeks?
>>
>>7524582
So close. Green Tea is the godliest green ice cream
>>
>>7524608
But i am quite happy. Im sorry if it sounded like a despair speech.

I was refering to the individual death, not the extinction of humanity.

Oh and no, i wouldnt publish this shit. I dont think its even original. But who cares. Its just that thinking this way made me bored.
>>
If you knew anything about love, your worldview would be pretty different senpai. (I'm not referring to only romantic love.)
>>
>>7524632
>senpai

Somebody please tell me what word gets transformed into senpai.
>>
>>7524627

I still think it's awfully arrogant of you to insinuate that humanity is somehow immune to extinction within a closed system. One well-placed Ebola outbreak or antibiotic-resistant plague and we're well and truly fucked m8.
>>
>>7524659
That's easy, it's senpai.
>>
These are the beliefs of ancient sophists. I wouldn't call them your beliefs because most likely you picked them up uncritically from the surrounding culture; the modern philosophers have revived the sophists. The idea that Order can arise from Chaos, that man is the measure of all things (truth and falsehood, good and evil), that morality is just the invention of men in power - these are all sophistries.

These are the three main statements that sum up all of sophistry; all ancient sophists and all modern philosophers preach at least one of these:

I. There is no truth (or reality, or being).
II. Even if there was truth (or reality, or being), it is unknowable.
III. Even if truth (or reality, or being) was knowable, it could not be communicated.

All of these end philosophy before it begins. If there is no truth, philosophy has no object. If the truth is unknowable, philosophy is vain. If truth is incommunicable, one could have no philosophical teaching or discussion. Therefore, anyone that holds to any of these statements is certainly a hypocrite, else he would not open his mouth and affirm them.

Order cannot arise out of Chaos. Chaos cannot be the cause or principle of any act, because properly speaking Chaos is not something that exists, and only something that exists can be the cause of anything. Chaos does not exist in being/reality, it only exists in thought, namely, in the thought of those whose apprehension of reality is limited and confused and therefore are not able to grasp its principles. If Chaos did exist it would immediately cease to exist, and then come into existence, and then take on any and every form, because if Chaos was any single existing thing or collection of existing things, it would not be Chaos but that thing or collection of things. So, properly speaking, Chaos is nothing except a certain lack of knowledge in a mind, just like Chance.
>>
>>7524709

Ethics has an objective basis. Its objectivity is derived from being itself. The goodness of a thing is its participation in being. Being itself is good of necessity else there could be no goodness, and anything that participates in being is good. Evil is the tendency towards non-being, or nothingness. To smear a masterpiece painting with random paint-strokes is evil precisely because it moves the painting towards non-being by comprising its form. When a flower does not get enough nutrients and begins to whither and die, this is an evil. Moral evils are evils committed by moral agents, rational minds capable of freely determining their acts.

The existence of God can be proven by reason. That God is willing to grant people eternal happiness in heaven is not rationally deducible, but that he is caring is obvious. He is the foundation of all being and as such he is the most caring of carers. Before we even begin to care about anything God cares enough to give us the power of caring. Before we even begin to think God has us in his thought. Our intelligence is a participation in the divine Intelligence. If this were not so we would have no ultimate foundation for our knowledge and so our intellect would be radically unreliable.
>>
>>7524709
Well said.
>>
>>7521433
Sleep tight porker
>>
>>7524596
Occams razor is usually used only in economics because it doesn't mean much in other areas, since there is no need to use it.
>>
>>7521433
sleep tight, porker
>>
>>7524714
Thats the kind of answer i wanted. Thanks anon. Ill put thought into it later, but so far i can see you have some good points.
>>
>>7522717
Yeah, but consistency in atheistc moral axiomatic systems isn't a thing.
>>
>>7524714
I'd like to learn from you. Have you published anything I can read?
>>
This is a literature board, not a place to make baseless claims

Thread saged; take your clown act to >>>/pol/
>>
>>7524709

>Ethics has an objective basis. Its objectivity is derived from being itself. The goodness of a thing is its participation in being. Being itself is good of necessity else there could be no goodness, and anything that participates in being is good. Evil is the tendency towards non-being, or nothingness. To smear a masterpiece painting with random paint-strokes is evil precisely because it moves the painting towards non-being by comprising its form. When a flower does not get enough nutrients and begins to whither and die, this is an evil. Moral evils are evils committed by moral agents, rational minds capable of freely determining their acts.

Here is the only part i dont get. While i do get that morals can be objective by themselves, is there a reason i should follow them? Besides not being a dick, i know.

Im really curious.
>>
>>7524693
pls
>>
>>7524758
He is called Thomas Aquinas
>>
>>7524790
anon
>>
>>7521427
Simple.
Ttry for a week to hold beliefs opposite of these, no matter how much "illogical" they seem to you. You will be surprised.
>>
>>7521427
Life is meaningless bud.
People will believe in things when they can't face reality.
All humans can die, and after your death, how can you deny it? Just look at the world with no notion of time, but following the humanity, there's no meaning in humanity itself.
And you cannot prove you're free.

But love is the better medicine that can cure you m8.
>>
>>7524832
Moral behavior is an acquired habit. This is actually really good advice, because if you follow some ethical precept enough it will become a habit to follow it, and this way you will improve your behavior

Virtue ethics is related to this, as opposed to systems that simply posit a "law" and expect you to categorically follow it.
>>
>>7524805
But I use the word anon all the time...

(And no you didn't ruse me; that string could have contained Unicode characters to work around the transformation, so that would have explained how you could type it without it turning into senpai.)
>>
>>7521433
please no, corn father
>>
File: ecclesiastical strawberry.jpg (24 KB, 267x395) Image search: [Google]
ecclesiastical strawberry.jpg
24 KB, 267x395
God damn college students.
>>
>>7521433
AWAKEN MY MASTERS!
>>
>>7521433
please no, corn father
>>
File: hsgs-abstracting-760.jpg (43 KB, 760x517) Image search: [Google]
hsgs-abstracting-760.jpg
43 KB, 760x517
>>7524870
That's not exactly what I meant, but I think it fits.
The point of the experiment is to make one realize that the beliefs that he holds dear to his life and consider as absolute truths about reality, life, and the universe (like anon here>>7524864) are nothing more but beliefs and personal perception. If you are depressed, in a miserable situation, or if you're influenced by nihilistic writers because you consider them as authorities, then it's absolutely logical that there will be no meaning in your life and everything will induce nausea.
I know others will say it's bullshit, but look at yourself from a bigger point of you: you are an animal, using noises that are essentially meaningless and whose meaning is a social construct, with senses that are easily distorted with physiological and psychological influences, with a mind so open to influence that it can be compared to a whore and which will make you accept any philosophical stance as real if you think hard enough about it, stranded on a little rock in the black vastness of the cosmos. From such a perspective, it seems foolish to believe in any theory about the universe at all.
If you still don't get it, try the exercise. Change your beliefs to the opposite one for a week. If you're a nihilist, try to really get into the view that the universe is meaningful. If you're an atheist, try to believe in God. If you're left wing, try right for a change. If you hate women, try to love them. You'll learn more about how stupid any assessment of reality is than from books alone.
>>
>>7521433
sleep tight porker
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.