[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In 200 years how will society view our era and literature?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1451459149341.jpg (28 KB, 650x488) Image search: [Google]
1451459149341.jpg
28 KB, 650x488
In 200 years how will society view our era and literature?
>>
Decaying
>>
>>7521159

I think it depends on the future of consumer culture, which could possibly disappear in 100 years if terrorism doesn't steal the narrative in the meantime. That is, we work towards the cessation of global warming, which might consequently destroy much of consumerism, which might cause more living equality in the world, which makes "school for getting a job" obsolete, by which school will be obsolete anyways, and possibly most jobs, and people start reading and watching good films etc. again (no need for mass escapism in a semi-utopia), etc.

So in 200 years, if this all takes place, which there is a chance of, we'll be looked upon as totally retarded. We'll have our Melville of the era, probably not a shakespeare, but a Melville; most consumerism shit will be ignored as artifacts (pop music/film, science fiction for the most part, probably traditional religion other than maybe Catholicism and Islam which will likely survive along with Hinduism that India can't function without)

But by and large we'll be considered (or rather, perhaps our parents will be considered) complete retards on average, but our geniuses will be recognized as such.

Well, that's just a wild ass guess at least.
>>
>>7521169
>think it depends on the future of consumer culture, which could possibly disappear in 100 years if terrorism doesn't steal the narrative in the meantime. That is, we work towards the cessation of global warming, which might consequently destroy much of consumerism, which might cause more living equality in the world, which makes "school for getting a job" obsolete, by which school will be obsolete anyways, and possibly most jobs, and people start reading and watching good films etc. again (no need for mass escapism in a semi-utopia), etc.

Shiggy diggy
>>
>>7521182

well I did say it was a wild ass guess

it's more of what I hope will happen
>>
>>7521159
It won't. Through some war, society will enter a new dark age where is everyone is fighting over the mysterious technology of this era.
>>
our era will be seen as obsessed with itself both on the individual and societal level. the individual you obviously have social media, people posting pics of their lunches and butts, and society you have the fact that we think we are different, that we have figured out things all the previous generations hadn't, which will be laughable.

so whatever works of literature best represent that will be the classics. no one will find the Melville, too much noise too many books
>>
>>7521159
The Dank Era of Memes
>>
>>7521159
Just like we think of the past now, the people of the future will assume we lead short, boring, pointless, empty, and painful lives.

They'll look at old models of non-self-driving cars and say to themselves
>"Well, if I was alive back then, I would have risked death strapped into a machine flying down the road at 90mph just to feel some excitement too"
>>
>In the wake of the reign of Donald I, the remnants of Western writing were scant and scattered. Unconfirmed legends claim that the American scholar prided himself on preserving works through a sort of arcane magic, harnessing the power of lightning and numerology to keep their stories in fragile humming storehouses.

>The few who still remember these legends claim the scholar's buzzing towers could hold an endless number of words, but for most even this is too far-fetched to believe. Regardless, all traces of this strange art are lost, as are the epics they preserved. The silent plastic and silicon rubble that scatter the few ruins left of the old civilization are the only clues left of this long-lost magic.

>What few works remain were rediscovered in the abandoned skyports that purportedly bustled with airbound travelers. In quaint terminal-side markets, archaeological findings have revealed to us the only known storytellers from that era: Patterson, Meyers, King, Rowling, along with the scraps of other unknown fictions. Their works glow with foreign superstition, strange and ancient even to the people who lived among unimaginable sorcery and treated it as commonplace. - Trilby the Elder, ca. 2250
>>
>>7521293
i enjoy these posts
>>
>>7521293
Kek

>>7521159
As it always happens - we'll be viewed as just an another chapter in the history of humanity. People were crying about the end of the civilization, terrible changes and degeneration of moral values since ancient Egypt. But today absolutely nobody knows or cares about shit like the First Egyptian Intermediate Period. As a more recent example, see Flaubert and Balzac. Both disliked romanticism, so they wrote books that defined the following period - realism. Do we give a shit about romanticism vs realism problem today? No, we mostly just remember Faust, Moby Dick, Pushkin, Pere Goriot and Anna Karenina.
Shit will be filtered too. Do you remember that chapter in Don Quijote with book inquisition? Had you heard of a single one of those books before you read the chapter? Have you read a single one of those books after you've read that chapter? Pro tip: you haven't.

Or

John Green becomes canon, Iliad and Odyssey are rewritten to be less misogynist, trans* inclusive and Odysseus becomes otherkin. After a hundred years all literature before Lord of the Rings is completely forgotten and Harry Potter books become religious texts.
>>
>>7521159
when it started getting worse
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.