[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any books that were written to criticize a group of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: rei-bandage.jpg (43 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
rei-bandage.jpg
43 KB, 500x300
Are there any books that were written to criticize a group of people, but end up being loved and revered by those same people?
>>
Lolita
>>
A Confederacy of Dunces
>>
>>7520926
It doesn't happen often, mostly because reading is an active activity, you cannot read and be unaware of the meaning of the message.

It's more common in music though...
Lorde's Royals became very popular precisely among the public the song criticizes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVB6np4qwG0
>>
The Bible
>>
>>7520953
>you cannot read and be unaware of the meaning of the message

not true, by the way

see: the majority of /lit/
>>
Catcher in the Rye, maybe
>>
The Elementary Particles and women
>>
the importance of being earnest its a play but still
>>
Capitalism has been very good to The Jungle
>>
>>7521032
this happens a lot I think with anti-capitalist art

made me think of Rage Against the Machine and Pink Floyd
>>
>>7521140
>not /lit/
Building on that though, Banksy
>>
the great gatsby
>>
There's some Patrick Bateman fans who like his possessions and aren't all that bothered by the serial killer thing or the consumerism.
>>
>>7520926
On The Road is a warning about becoming some transient loser. It ended up sparking the beatnik generation.
>>
>>7520926
Happens all the time on 4chan. Notes from the Underground, The Stranger and American Psycho all come to mind.

I thought that Stoner was also in this category, but apparently Williams really did write Stoner as some kind of tragic martyr to be idolized, which is fucking pathetic.
>>
>>7521140
Capitalism is like an anime supervillain that absorbs every attack anyone throws at it and assimilates the energy to become that much stronger.

See: rap & oldschool gangster fashion, 2010s hipster movement, rock & roll, leather jackets etc. etc.
>>
>>7522649

Didn't get that feeling from Notes from the Underground at all. Granted, the lead character is a pretty miserable character, but the book seems rather honest.

You sure about this? Did Dostoyevsky himself claim something like that?
>>
>>7520926
If a book's main purpose is to criticize rather than help or express it's pure infantile garbage.
"One must be silent if one can't give any help... for that reason all my scribbling is to be destoryed" - Franz Kafka
>>7522787
It's rather muddied. There are some essays about it here:
http://humanities.wisc.edu/assets/misc/Pamuk_on_Dostoyevsky.pdf
Althought not about the UG man, Dosto said this:
"It deeply moves your heart to realize that the most downtrodden man, the lowest of the low, is also a human being, and is called your brother."
Which can be easily attributed to the underground man.
>>
>>7522799
Wrong essay, meant these:
https://facweb.northseattle.edu/bgutierrez/Shakespeare/Winter%202011%20English%20102/English%20102%20Critical%20Article%20on%20Notes%20from%20Underground.pdf
https://recollectingphilosophy.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/notes-from-underground.pdf
>>
Against Nature became a how-to book for many dandies.
>>
>>7522747
>Capitalism is like an anime supervillain that absorbs every attack anyone throws at it and assimilates the energy to become that much stronger. See: rap & oldschool gangster fashion, 2010s hipster movement, rock & roll, leather jackets etc. etc.

I can see the appeal of /pol/ shit here, tbhonest. If nothing else at least it's a culture you'll never have force-fed back to you by a superbowl commercial.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.