[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was this series not as successful as Harry Potter even though
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: The_Bad_Beginning.jpg (60 KB, 458x648) Image search: [Google]
The_Bad_Beginning.jpg
60 KB, 458x648
>>
>>7519194
a general lacking of diverse characters
>>
More niche, less publicity
>>
File: image.jpg (312 KB, 800x1250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
312 KB, 800x1250
Jugs Kidding Wowling
>>
>>7519194
Harry Potter was so popular because the 4 books that cemented it's popularity were GOAT comfy that engender the feeling of reading one's first books in a primary school library. I've never read these books but they don't exactly give off that vibe.
>>
>>7519333
trips speaks the truth
>>
Because there was less fantastic shit going on to attract the innocent wonder of children. ASUE also was too grimdark for the general wholesome American family. The first few Harry Potter books were as PG as you could get, and they were still flagged for a "positive portrayal of witchcraft".

Also this >>7519199
>>
>>7519194
They were controversial because of their dark/depressing nature
>>
>>7519194
Everyone who has never worn a fedora or donated to the campaign of Bernie Sanders is sick and tired of the le so sophisticated gothic-victorian rehash, and has been since roughly the end of The Addams Family.
>>
File: Suspicious-man[1].jpg (107 KB, 376x550) Image search: [Google]
Suspicious-man[1].jpg
107 KB, 376x550
>>7519476
SoUE never really scram gothic-victorian to me

it felt like a strange limbo between various time periods
>>
>>7519481
>scram

>Scream
>Scram
>Scrum
>>
>>7519481

So basically it's an Edward Gorey knock-off?
>>
>>7519333
I dunno I thought the first few ASOUE books were comfy entry level books.
>>
Because children are fucking stupid.
>>
Harry Potter is a meme that just happened to take off.
>>
Harry Potter never held my attention. These didn't either. The Time Machine was good when I was a kid though
>>
These are bretty good for children's lit. Stylistycally interesting instead of the bland crap we usually shove down our kid's throats.
An issue I can see is that the series went on for too long... and of course the one movie they made was shit.
>>
I read both series as a child and I have to say that ASUE never sucked me into the world the same way that HP did. You can write a gripping book that's always shitting on the characters, but it's a little hard to press that sort of thing as a kid. And even my 11-year-old self eventually got tired of all the fucking shaggy dog stories and neverending cryptic bullshit, I got to about book 10 and then it was all just too much.
>>
His dark materials was the best children's series back then.
>>
>>7519333
They're awfully written. The whole series is plagiarised from Anthony Horowitz's Groosham Grange.
>>
>>7520298
This
Except I never read HP
>>
>>7520442
Plotwise, maybe, but Snicket/Handler is way ahead on style and tone, /lit/ allusions etc. His books for adults are good too, esp. We Are Pirates
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXGmK6fBGhY
>>
>>7521249
this can't be real
>>
>>7519194
Kids can read Harry Potter and imagine they're in a cool wizard school. Unfortunate Events, though actually very funny, is still about three kids with terrible lives and no happy endings ever.
>>
>>7521224
I was referring to harry potter as being shit; ASOUE is much better.
>>
>>7521249
I don't know why she got so much hate for this. Sure, it's destroying books, but what kind of autism do you need to be THIS buttblasted over it?
>>
File: RAGGGGGOOOHHHHHHHH.jpg (23 KB, 235x335) Image search: [Google]
RAGGGGGOOOHHHHHHHH.jpg
23 KB, 235x335
>mfw I missed the golden age of children's literature
>>
>>7519593
pretty sure Gorey was an influence. To say ASoUE is a knockoff would be to say the character Esme Squalor is a knockoff of the girl in the similarly titled Salinger story
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.