[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
diversity in literature
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: ok.png (447 KB, 853x475) Image search: [Google]
ok.png
447 KB, 853x475
What do you guys think about authors that lie about their ethnicity in order to get published? Remember the white guy that said he was Asian?

Sometimes "good" writers are good because they have had more opportunities for mentorship, school, and publishing than other writers. I think it is very important to make room in the canon for previously excluded types of writers. And it's sickening to lie about your ethnicity to take advantage of publishers.

The more we include writers who haven't had the same voice and platform as writers in majority, the better their writing will become, the more inspiration they will offer others, and the more freshness and innovation will be breathed into the canon. No one should be able to play a race, gender, or other "card" to get published, but we do need to make allowance and make room.
>>
>>7518332
Based

If the publishers can't tell the difference between a poem written by an Asian guy and a poem written by a white guy pretending to be Asian, then that would suggest that maybe it's not that important to have a quota of Asian male poets in your anthology.
>>
>>7518332

Self publishing should make this entire juvenile discussion obsolete. The market has never been more permeable. Publishing houses are on the way out.
>>
>>7518332
Race should have nothing to do with literature and it never has; it's a poor scapegoat to hide ineptitude.

But guess who moans when they're obviously less talented.
>>
File: 1446147790911.png (539 KB, 957x710) Image search: [Google]
1446147790911.png
539 KB, 957x710
>>7518332

Try googling some of his sentences lads.
>>
>>7518332

Is that a thing? Because for most of history we've had women authors trying to de-feminize their names (J.K. Rowling, because little boys don't want to read books by "Joanne") or outright using a male name (George Elliot.)
>>
I don't want coloreds, ethnics, women, or fags writing my stories.
>>
>>7518796
Hear hear
>>
>>7518796
This desu
White rhymes with write for a reason
>>
>>7518796
*says the half-black, half-latina transgender woman.
>>
Have you ever told someone face to face about your views on race ond feminism?
>>
>>7518938
Not me. Too much trouble. I just withhold funds from non-whites and non-males and vote for Trump for emperor for life.
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 592x790) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 592x790
>>7518411
fucking hell that thread. And the top comment claims to be an English professor
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.