[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what authors make you feel? not authors that make your cry or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8
File: sadfrog.jpg (29 KB, 385x385) Image search: [Google]
sadfrog.jpg
29 KB, 385x385
what authors make you feel?

not authors that make your cry or depressed but just make you bitter and unsatisfied

for me its Stefan Zwieg, his descriptions of a traditional, cultural central Europe before the horrors of war and modernism spoil it all. as a northern Irish person living in a province that has for its whole existence been nothing but a tribal killing ground, I feel disappointed I will never experience such a world
>>
>>7517087
all of them
im a sensitive guy
>>
Herodotus,

>tfw will never live an aesthetic life in 5th century Greece
>>
>>7517110
>iktf bro
>mfw I will never travel around detailing the weird religions and peoples of the ancient world
>>
>>7517087
My nigga. Zweig wrote beautifully.
>>
Oh man, I got the same feels from World Of Yesterday, nostalgia for a place I haven't experienced

Cultural Amnesia may be up your boat, it draws heavily on Zweig's world but isn't so much in the feels camp

Lewis' A Grief Observed gave me massive feels too

or Hard Rain Falling
>>
Cynan Jones's descriptions of the bleakness of rural Welsh farm life are based feels.
>>
>>7517087
I'm with you on the Zwieg-wagon. Have you watched The Grand Budapest Hotel? It's inspired by Zwieg's writings, and really gives that feeling of pre-war europe exuberance
>>
zweig a shit, february 22 1942 best day of my life

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v32/n02/michael-hofmann/vermicular-dither
>>
>>7517251
Every time someone posts Zweig, someone posts that "takedown", and every time I wonder who on earth "Michael Hofmann" is supposed to be
>>
>>7517087
I got this feeling with To the Lighthouse. Fucked me up, man.
>>
File: 1450973625198.gif (342 KB, 666x386) Image search: [Google]
1450973625198.gif
342 KB, 666x386
The savage detectives
>All those normalfags enjoying their youth while writing poetry, doing drugs and fucking like bunnies

BolaƱo did it on purpose, didn't he?
>>
Nic Pizzolatto.

Got into him via True Detective and read his other stuff. Short stories were good but not great. Then I read Galveston.

That fucking novel might be the saddest in existence. Fuckups pining for lives they never could have attained in a world that doesn't want them.

> The past isn't real.
>>
>>7517238
oh shit fan, that's what got me into it, it's my fab film. I can't watch it without getting really bitter about never experiencing such a life. I actually went to Austira this summer and saw Salzbutg. honestly it's exactly like they film, the whole town centre is full of pink and yellow neo-classical apartments. made me sweet inside.
>>
>>7517087
Paul Valery.
I picked an anthology of his poetry yesterday and I'd never read him. I swear that I spent five hours in my living room reading it smiling to myself like an idiot.
It was maybe the best /lit/-related feel that I ever had.
>>
>>7517369
tfw you will never be a 19th century european aristocrat
>>
>>7517528
anon pls, my heart hurts enough, I don't need these extra feels
>>
File: 4L_DQSeYftZ.jpg (60 KB, 741x372) Image search: [Google]
4L_DQSeYftZ.jpg
60 KB, 741x372
when Zweig was growing up in Vienna, the newspapers all had a section for poetry & philosophy. Vienna was bombed 52 times in WWII; now, there are faggots on the crosswalk signs
>>
>>7517751
Why the fuck would they not just have normal crossing lights?

Please tell me that's just some shitty modern art.
>>
Bill Bryson's book about growing up in the 50s really made me depressed.
>>
>>7517751
Did you read confusion? Zweig was down with the faggots

>tfw you'll never be a respected professor of literature seducing college twinks with poetry
>>
>>7517754
www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/ahead-of-eurovision-vienna-replaces-crosswalk-signals-with-gay-themed-lights/
>>
>>7517751
I laughed
>>
File: 1422948051923.jpg (52 KB, 600x597) Image search: [Google]
1422948051923.jpg
52 KB, 600x597
>>7517157
>mfw
gotchu senpai
>>
Basically any book that features a main character redeeming him/herself. That's when I look in the mirror and realize that I haven't even done enough with my life to warrant redeeming it.

Examples:

>Acceptance (Vandermeer)
>The Dark Tower (King)
>LA Confidential (Ellroy)
>Infinite Keks (Wallace)
>>
>>7517751
>tfw reading the man without qualities and old austria sounds comfy as fuck
>>
File: unforgiven-4.jpg (45 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
unforgiven-4.jpg
45 KB, 480x270
>make you feel
i wish
>>
>>7517087
Pratchett made me openly cry with nation.
Palahniuk revulsed me (an old /b/tard) with Guts
Cortazar made me fell in love with La Maga.
Ender's game made me stand in my bed at 4am shaking a fist in triumph and silence when the following day I had to a test for highschool and my family was sleeping.
>>
File: LightForest.jpg (329 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
LightForest.jpg
329 KB, 1024x682
>>7517751
Culture swings back and forth. The right will rise up once again, and traditional values will see a renaissance. Then, a leftist mindset will counteract once again. No youthful generation finds itself in a society it accepts.

>>7517292
Cozy pepe you got there

Webdell Berry painted a really nice picture of smalltown early 1900s America in Jayber Crow. The simplicity was appealing.
>>
>>7518863

Austria is a shithole - Thomas Bernhard
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.