[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to become a better reader. I just read 16 pages of Plato
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: look-of-disapproval-lisa.jpg (110 KB, 509x490) Image search: [Google]
look-of-disapproval-lisa.jpg
110 KB, 509x490
I want to become a better reader. I just read 16 pages of Plato but it took me like 50 minutes.
What can i do the become the best/fastest reader I can possibly be?
>>
Read more.
>>
>>7516565
>best/fastest reader
two conflicting goals

don't know if you read physical or not, but i usually highlight things in the .pdfs i read and write notes in the margins. it slows me down a shit ton but i feel like i grasp more and when i come back later having forgotten a bunch, i have a bunch of notes to look back on to refresh myself. i know that that's too much work for a lot of people, but i enjoy it
>>
>>7516565
just B.E yourself
>>
>>7516565
That's not a bad pace for Plato, or philosophy in general. When I'm annotating, I only manage 10-20 pages per hour.
>>
>>7516565
people who read fast don't read well
>>
>>7516685
False dichotomy. Spread by subvovalizers to try to feel better about their inferiority.
>>
>wanting to read fast

>>>/reddit/
>>
>>7516716
this

>not savouring and relishing every word
>>
what do you guys do when your brain is not working no good and writing and reading even something that should be simple is too hard.
>>
>>7516565
>>7516565
Reading philosophy is much slower and tiring than anything else, you're basically trying to absorb a pretty difficult lecture and work your way through a narrative. If I'm taking small notes, I'll read like 30-40 pages of hard philosophy in an hour, but if I'm reading something light (currently Kafka on the Shore [does it get better past pg100, the prose and story isn't too amazing to me]) then I'll average about 50 in an hour easy.

The trick is to keep reading and stop paying attention to how many pages you're reading. It's a lot like jogging, you make a goal to read twenty pages it gets easier every day.

But if you want to be the fastest reader, anon, I'm afraid you'll never be the best reader. Strive to take as much time as possible to understand a book, try and be as empathetic and curious as possible, imagine what the author was trying to communicate, and think about what you've been reading in your spare time, even ideas you may have. This is what grows you as a reader and a person.

Good luck.
>>
>>7516721
Sleep for an hour, then coffee.

Then some really light reading for the day if you're still not feeling up for it.
>>
File: 1447870593999.jpg (84 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1447870593999.jpg
84 KB, 500x500
Its not a race, op.
>>
>>7516578

I write notes while reading non-fiction (ex. The Art of War) so as to regrasp the point or message of important passages and help ingrain what I'm reading in my memory.

If it's fiction, I don't write notes because I feel the purpose in general is in getting a meaning out of the work as a whole, though I will highlight particularly memorable lines or passages.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.