[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
God this is boring.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 5
File: Dubliners - James Joyce.jpg (321 KB, 995x1600) Image search: [Google]
Dubliners - James Joyce.jpg
321 KB, 995x1600
God this is boring.
>>
>reading for enjoyment

sure is reddit in here
>>
Who here reads for the sake of tasting aesthetic flavors? For the sake of experiencing the attempt at preserving the sublime? :^)
>>
dubliners is very dry and boring. i'm always surprised by the love it gets.
>>
>Araby
>The Dead
>boring

how does it feel to have no soul??
>>
>>7516538
essentially this.

Read for the sake of reading.
>>
>>7516553
Araby's OK, but it's still nothing amazing. I haven't gotten to The Dead yet.
>>
>>7516538
You fucking idiot. Why do you "read" then? To get more blowjobs at that shitty "indie party" you go to because you name dropped all the super duper books you read -- which you probably didn't even fully grasp because you didn't enjoy them in the first place. What is with this argument? I see it all the time on this board. Fucking retarded. Books are entertainment that enlightens.
>>
>>7516523
embarrassing post. i suggest thread deletion

>>7516553
this

>>7516549
hello reddit
>>
>>7516569
Would Redditors even venture into Joyce to begin with though?
>>
>>7516569
>>7516538

Gee reddit sure is the worst, right guys?
>>
>>7516566
>Books are entertainment

top pleb
>>
>>7516566
Blowjobs are rad
>>
>>7516591
>ywn
>>
>>7516538
>>7516562
>>7516589
Do you read John Green for the sake of reading too?
>>
>>7516538
>>7516547
>>7516549
>>7516562
It isn't boring. I enjoyed it immensely.

How the fuck is The Dead boring? How is the turn towards the end boring?
>>
>>7516598
>john green
>literature
>>
>>7516589
The point is that reading is entertaining, but what the reader finds entertaining is based on taste. If you don't enjoy Joyce, but you still feel like you need to shove it down your throat just because you want to feel like you're engaging with great literature, I'll be the first to tell you that you're not. No, the IDEA of reading for the sake of pleasure is not a plebeian idea. Pleasure can be derived from nuances and innovations in narrative and language. If you're not finding pleasure in these things, you just have no taste. Thus, you're the pleb.
>>
>>7516644
there is no pleasure derived from narrative innovation from a book that's over 100 years old. go fuck yourself you dumb pleb
>>
>>7516566
It's a meme to act like everything that isn't Joyce and other authors at the top level of difficulty are pure shite. Youust be autistic to not realize this.
>>
>>7516647
Innovations that have died. Dub liners encapsulates modernism. "Narrative innovations" when talking about Joyce is pretty much just a fancy way of saying "all of the experimental shit he was doing back in the 20s that doesn't really exist anymore."
>>
>>7516566
>if you don't read and do everything for pleasure 100% of the time, you are a shallow retard
i think you've got that backwards, buddy. maybe you should read the pale king
>>
>>7516655
you're still a dumb pleb. dubliners is so influential on the short story, unfortunately, that it's impossible to derive any pleasures from it since all its gimmicks and tricks have been done a billion times over. it's boring. his stories are trite and shallow and his epiphanies are hollow as your brain.
>>
Oi, talk about surface-level comprehension if "comprehension" is even the correct term to use. Every story wraps into each other and coalesces into themes of brief respite, wanting, being trapped in lieu of epiphany, as Joyce puts quite plainly in the very first story, paralysis. Decisions between the self and the state, the values, ideals, religion which brought them up. He wrote Dubliners not as a series of love letters to Dublin and it's people, but merely a voice. The outside, London, Paris, the U.S., revolution, a town not ready for change in an ever changing world whose people were just as tangled up in the living, breathing town as a single entity as they were each other.
>>
Op kill yourself and go back to reddit. Preferably in that order.
>>
>>7516538
what do you read for?
>>
>>7516656
If you're going to start quoting DFW like I knew someone would, maybe I should change my terminology. "Joy" is a more appropriate word.
>>
>>7516659
Have serious discourse for once in your life.
>>
>>7516671
it's pretty sad when someone who doesn't like a book is more knowledgeable than the supposed fan of it. which should temper my surprise on why people like it in the first place: because they themselves don't understand it.
>>
>>7516668
to impress people
>>
>>7516675
Oh you're that faggot who was shitting on Ulysses too yesterday. Go back to /r9k/ where they appreciate your edginess.
>>
>>7516682
call someone a faggot and right after telling them to have a serious discourse. you're one for the books.
>>
>>7516675
>implying you can 'understand' anything
>>
>>7516687
That wasn't me faggot. I'm just here to call you out for being an illiterate faggot. God knows there's no point trying to have a "serious discourse" with you.
>>
>>7516675
How the fuck is this having serious discourse?? More ad hominem argument about intelligence level. Look man, you say whatever you want to say about the topic, but I fucking love this book. I find if enjoyable. You don't. That's fucking fine. But because we disagree you're gonna mumble "Blahhh lol go back to reddit faggot you're so stupid compared to me" fuck you dumbass why do I even bother with you 4chan Internet millennial fuckers. You're all the same.
>>
>>7516693
why are you here? you seem to have accidentally clicked on /lit/ when the board you obviously want is >>>/b/
>>
>>7516698
Not liking Dubliners and giving no real arguments besides infantile insults means you're the /b/tard here friendo.
>>
great thread
>>
>>7516695
way to say nothing at all about the book and whine about nothing. i wouldn't have brought it up since it's not my style, more like the other the other idiot >>7516693, but you really do belong on a site like reddit if "I find it enjoyable" is your level of discussion
>>
File: 9QzkAr7.png (208 KB, 336x355) Image search: [Google]
9QzkAr7.png
208 KB, 336x355
In this ITT thread baka desu senpai
>>
Dubliners is boring as hell. I manage to finish it with extreme pain...but that (of course) doesn't really imply it has no literary value.
>>
>>7516523
Have to admit I had some difficulty with Joyce's writing style. Though I have grown to like it more with every short novel I read in Dubliners. Truly, though, this must be one of the more comfy books out there.
>>
>>7516523

For certain parts, I agree. However, stories like A Little Cloud, A Painful Case and The Dead pretty much makes it worth it.
>>
>>7516523
How can short stories be boring? By definition they're not long enough to bore you
Just read one or two at a time OP
>>
It's okay not to like Dubliners. I didn't love it. A lot of the stories were boring. If you dislike Ulysses you're a pleb, though. Ulysses is a thousand times better.
>>
File: 0001a1e6.jpg (710 KB, 3500x2389) Image search: [Google]
0001a1e6.jpg
710 KB, 3500x2389
Im gonna ask this here rather then make a new thread. Do I have to read both the Iliad and Odyssey to get the most out of Ulysses or will just Odyssey do?
>>
>>7516863
I disagree. I loved Dubliners, but Ulysses is hollow.
>>
>>7516878
I mean, read the Iliad. But no.
The iliad is so good though, man.
>>
>>7517070

which translation did you read

it probably wasn't even prose, faggot
>>
I just read Dubliners and Portrait back to back. I liked Portrait a lot more tb.h
>>
File: 1438898325800.jpg (82 KB, 399x425) Image search: [Google]
1438898325800.jpg
82 KB, 399x425
>>7516668
FOR YOU
>>
>>7516566
lmao what kind of party is that honestly, is that real? like indie kids hanging out and giving blowjobs for being impressed by personal libraries? lmaooo
>>
>>7517402
It's called r/books.
>>
A couple of the stories were boring, but the writing is top tier all around. A Little Cloud, Counterparts, Araby, the Dead, and A Painful Case are all God tier
>>
>>7516566

>going to indie parties for blowjobs

sure is reddit in here
>>
>>7517508
>counterparts

P A T R I C I A N
>>
>>7516668
To impress /lit/
>>
>>7517100
Lattimore
>>
>>7517416
Do they have girl blowjobs there, or only the regular kind?
>>
>>7516661
only non-shit post itt
>>
>>7516661
>>7519721
redditor desperate for attention ITT
>>
>>7516669
i didn't quote anyone in my post. you're really bad at reading
>>
>>7516523
It's probably just simply not for you, anon. That's okay, we can't all enjoy the same things. I personally loved Dubliners but to each their own.

What authors have you enjoyed so far, anon?
>>
"Eveline," "Araby," "The Encounter," and "Two Gallants" were my favorites. The rest were okay.

"The Dead" is overrated imho.
>>
>Evvy!
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.