[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was he a closet case?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
Was he a closet case?
>>
A closet case of what.
>>
>>7516264
He was a hack.

If there was a choice to be made between having Burroughs never live or have Hitler never live, I'd choose Burroughs. Because at least Hitler was competent in his craft and advanced it forward by about 40 years while the rest of the world was standing in bread lines.

Burroughs however, thanks to edgy teenagers, regressed the act of literature by about...oh, I don't know, a good 6500 years.

I only wish AIDS was killing faggots thirty years earlier.
>>
>>7516290
>Hitler was competent
No he wasn't.
>>
>>7516296

>>>/reddit/
>>
>>7516290
>Because at least Hitler was competent in his craft
What craft was that? Guy was a military idiot, couldn't paint a perspective to save his life, and killed himself when things got tough for him instead of owning up

Biggest loser of the 20th century
>>
>>7516290
What'd Burroughs do to literature? I'm not familiar with him in any way?
>>
>>7516305
nothing he's just sperging out
>>
>>7516305
And... and then...
HE FART FUCKS A POOP PENIS!!
>>
>>7516305
nothing, thankfully. his lelsorandum shit is irrelevant.
>>
>>7516305
Ignore the meme posters

He had a big influence on the beat poets and US counterculture and (co-)introduced a few novel pomo methods, most notably cut-up technology where you take a few sentences on paper, cut them up, and randomly paste them together into a new story

His stuff was the start of more lenient cultural laws in the US, after Naked Lunch was first banned

Cyberpunk wouldn't be where it went without Naked Lunch and especially the Nova trilogy
>>
>>7516351
>He had a big influence on the beat poets and US counterculture and (co-)introduced a few novel pomo methods, most notably cut-up technology where you take a few sentences on paper, cut them up, and randomly paste them together into a new story
>His stuff was the start of more lenient cultural laws in the US, after Naked Lunch was first banned
>Cyberpunk wouldn't be where it went without Naked Lunch and especially the Nova trilogy

None of which matter nor progress mankind's intellectual fortitude.

Especially Beats. And anyone who says they are inspiring are doomed to a life of serfs on the plateau of knowledge.
>>
>>7516361
4chan didn't "progress mankind's intellectual fortitude" either, yet here we are
>>
>>7516361
Spooooky
>>
>>7516365
>yet here we are

And so were all the other hack writers that aren't spoken of from Rome and Greece and Persia. Not because they fragmented with the fading empires, but because the Romans, Grecians, and Persians too desired to forget them. Time itself chose to forget them.

The Beats will fall the same way with time. Culture itself, it's pure existence, has a natural defense against anti-culture and anti-art. It can only be upset by war. The Unnatural, Natural cleanser.
>>
>>7516378
I think you read too much Spengler

>Culture itself, it's pure existence, has a natural defense against anti-culture

>he doesn't understand that "anti" is part of the whole
>>
>>7516296
I absolutely loathe Hitler- but one must acknowledge that he was very competent. Germany fell, but Germany faced war at every front until Berlin fell.
>>
File: 0.png (73 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
0.png
73 KB, 250x250
>>7516290
>>7516361
>>7516378
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.