[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So? Is it good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: bram-stoker-dracula-1.jpg (75 KB, 841x1238) Image search: [Google]
bram-stoker-dracula-1.jpg
75 KB, 841x1238
So? Is it good?
>>
le nope
>>
I grew up playing videogames, so I was actually really surprised when this whole story is told in journal entries and audio-logs, which is the lazy videogame story telling method.
>>
So? Why don't you read it and find out?
>>
>>7516148
yes. i really liked some of his descriptions and atmosphere. also the comradeship between the men is quaint
>>
>>7516148
Pretty cool, but mostly for its historical trappings.
>>7516326
It's only lazy when it's a videogame. This is because you don't have to actually show the story, as you should in that medium; you just cop-out and deal with it like a piece of literature.
>>7516339
Time is a finite resource.
>>
>>7516148

the first 50 pages are great and what you'd expect.

The next 350 pages are a bit of a slog.

I only read it for the sake of reading it so I could feel better than people who haven't read it. After the first 50 pages I think you'd like it better if you stop expecting any sort of vampire story and look at it as an anti-immigration / foreigner book. It's a foreigner who buys London property and cucks the native men. dracula's actions don't even make sense in the conventional evil guy paradigm. He could've killed them all in ten seconds, especially when he was in their bedrooms, but he just bites the woman a bit while the husband is humiliated. I don't really like this sort of close reading but it's clear that Stoker himself sacrificed a plot that makes sense in order to make it allegorical.
>>
>>7517341
get over yourself
>>
>>7517366

You.

I like you.
>>
>>7517341
I agree, if you are expecting a horror story, it's very disappointing.
>>
File: 1451244886219.jpg (91 KB, 911x347) Image search: [Google]
1451244886219.jpg
91 KB, 911x347
No.
>>
>>7517400
>>7517452
the YA section is over here
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>7517375
Hello Reddit
>>
>>7517341
You're fucking retarded.
>>
Doesn't really have much value, it is essentially very old genre fiction. It is definitely fun to read.
>>
Fuck the haters. The first fifty pages are among my favorite in any novel. Textbook on how to build tension and suspense.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.